PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Table Saw

Lexi01
25th Feb 2011, 01:58 PM
G'day Guys,

Has anyone got one of these:

http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_product_600w-200mm-ozito-ozts600wa-table-saw_1301.aspx?search=table+saw&searchType=any&searchSubType=products&page=1

I'm after a table saw and saw these at Bunnings...just wondered if anyone had any comments or words or warning about cheapies like this?

Ta.

rod1949
25th Feb 2011, 07:00 PM
Just exactly what do you intend to do with it?

nww1969
25th Feb 2011, 09:12 PM
Borrowed a neighbours, its not the ozito but looks the same.
I had problems with the clamps not holding and the metal was so weak it
would bend in the middle of the clamps.
It was ok for doing very small jobs but if you wanted to try and cut something
long it was difficult.

Bloss
6th Mar 2011, 12:12 PM

:whs: They'll do what a cheap saw can do and probably quite well. A more expensive saw will do that and quite a bit more. So for occasional use where repeatable precision without a need to re-adjust is not critical then the cheaper saws will work well enough. I use a mix of both types of tools - very cheap ones for work where close enough is mostly good enough (ie: often where it will not bee seen and where the concern is structural integrity not appearance (eg: sub-flooring) and much more expensive (and better constructed) trade brands for work that needs greater accuracy, repeatability and reliability.

Lexi01
15th Mar 2011, 11:56 AM

Sorry, I've been on holidays in (sunny?) queensland...

I've found my self needing a table saw for a varietyof things over the years and have got away without one for too long.

Latest one is the edge of a deck, where it meets a retaining wall where I need to cut a piece of decking length-ways to fill an inch-wide slot...

Also cutting malemaine has been a pretty regular occurance over the years... I'm sick of using a straight edge, clamps and a circular saw...

I think what you guys have been saying is spot on though...if you want a good finish...get a good tool.

Thanks.

andy the pm
15th Mar 2011, 10:21 PM
I bought one of these...
MLT100-Table Saw 255mm (http://www.makita.com.au/products/power-tools/sawing/item/table-saws/mlt100-table-saw-255mm?Prodid=153)
About $500, when I bought it they had 2 models, one for $500 and one for about a grand. The only thing I don't like about it is the mitre fence slot is a sloppy fit and a non standard size for aftermarket parts like you can get from carbatec etc
I have read they they can suffer from on/off switch problems but mine is fine so far...

Earlybird
15th Mar 2011, 11:30 PM
Latest one is the edge of a deck, where it meets a retaining wall where I need to cut a piece of decking length-ways to fill an inch-wide slot...

I bought a triton workcentre 2000 for this sort of stuff. I plug my Makita circular saw into it. Only used it a couple of times but has been handy over the years. Might be worth a look, especially a 2nd hand one.

stevoh741
16th Mar 2011, 12:03 AM
remember you only get what you pay for...peanuts = monkyes. The way I see it there is the bummings rubbish and is priced accordingly, then hitachi, makita etc make $500-$1000ish models fine for chippy's on the job site but if you want accuracy and a good table saw then start saving. I wouldn't waste my cash on the cheap rubbish. Have a hitachi and is ok but accuracy +/-1-3mm. Good luck