PDA

View Full Version : Enclosing Carport Q's

ernie9
1st Apr 2011, 09:56 AM
Hi All,

Well i found this site the other day and thought that hopefully some one can give me some advice and how to's.

We built our house a year ago and i currently have a carport (roller door on front and open Side and back) I am wanting to enclose the carport so that i will be able to use a gym set in there without the elements killing me :p

I have had a look around but cant seem to find to much on the subject. I am thinking the easiest way to do it would be to create a timber frame and then using fibre cememt sheets (blue board) to fill it in on the side. Would then be looking at either a sliding door or another roller door on the back.

So is there anyone on here that would be able to give me some pointers on anything that i must do eg. water proofing etc.

Thanks and i look forward to hanging around here a bit more

Kyle

Hoppy
1st Apr 2011, 11:24 AM
Hi Ernie, Welcome to the forum, a roller door at the rear will maintain access through the carport which is always a good idea. A H2 treated timber framed wall lined with blueboard on the outside and then rendered with Dulux Acratex system would look good, insulate the wall and then line the inside with plasterboard. Enjoy the room.

ernie9
1st Apr 2011, 12:11 PM
Hi Hoppy

Thank you for your quick reply :)

How do you waterproof the bottem of the wall as my carport sits on the boundary, i have the fence on my slab. So if i was to errect a wall the would be a gap of about 200mm between the wall and fence?? Any ideas

Bedford
1st Apr 2011, 12:23 PM
Have a look at page 19 of this doc, that will show how the bottom of the wall can be flashed.

ernie9
1st Apr 2011, 12:33 PM
Thanks heaps :)

ringtail
1st Apr 2011, 01:10 PM
First things first, check with local council if you are allowed to enclose a open carport on the boundary. Up here you are not.

ernie9
1st Apr 2011, 01:29 PM
Oh ok really? Can i ask why that is?

Hoppy
1st Apr 2011, 02:58 PM
Ernie The Building Code of Australia in South Australia requires the external face of the wall to be exactly on the boundary (NOT butted up to the fence) or 600mm clear. The 600mm clearance is to prevent the accumilation or rubbish or vermin in that area - a space where you cannot fit to clean it out. This would be the reason your carport has not been enclosed. You may be able to use a light weight non combustible cladding from the roof beam situated bewteen your carport columns and attach that to your fence. Alternatively a bit more expensive though would be to insert sliding aluminium doors beween the columns, then you can open the doors access the 200mm to kep that area clean and then shut the doors again. This method although not strictly in accordance with the BCA does achieve the object of the code.

If you want to be strictly in compliance with the BCA because your enclosing the carport to convert it into a room. The external wall within 900mm of the boundary needs to have a 60minute fire rating (60/60/60), needs to be on the boundary or the 600mm clear and will need to be a brick veneer or similar.

ernie9
1st Apr 2011, 03:36 PM
Much appreciated Hoppy,

I am still learning the rules of owning a house, yes im a younging lol :P

ringtail
1st Apr 2011, 05:41 PM
Up in Brisbane a open carport is just that, a open carport. It can be built right to the front and side boundary alignments but cannot be enclosed. Mind you, it doesnt stop people doing it after approval - in fact most do. If it is a garage, it has to be set back 6 mt from the front boundary and have the fire rated boundary wall. Check with your local council for the rules.