PDA

View Full Version : Retrofit soft close mechanism for kitchen drawers

tims
12th May 2011, 05:00 PM
Hi

Wonder if anyone has tried this retrofit soft close mechanism (or something similar) for kitchen drawers - Amazon.com: Soft-closing System for Drawers Hydraulic Slow Closing Adapter for Drawer or Sliding Doors: Everything Else (http://www.amazon.com/Soft-closing-Drawers-Hydraulic-Closing-Adapter/dp/B003M1SJ66)

I can't quite see how it is fitted - does it slide in-between the drawer steel side and the side of the cabinet or fit underneath the drawer?

Thanks

Doc0055
15th May 2011, 08:21 AM
Hi Tims,
The pistion is screwed to the cupboard, and the pin to the draw bottom. When the draw is nearly closed the pin engages the piston and hey presto soft close. Not as solid in their construction as a dedicated soft close unit, but they work quite well.

I would just buy one and make sure that it will adapt to your draws.

Cheers Scott

some_cs_student
1st Jun 2011, 08:41 PM
tim-and-tina.com (http://www.tim-and-tina.com/)
?

r3nov8or
2nd Jun 2011, 10:26 PM
tim-and-tina.com (http://www.tim-and-tina.com/)
?
*checks if kids are watching before clicking - phew its OK*.
Well, I wasn't quite sure where that link would send me.

That product looks pretty good. For $20 (for 10 units) it's worth a try.

r3nov8or
10th Jun 2011, 10:15 AM
Wondering if anyone has recently ordered or been able to contact tim-and-tina to check these are still available? I asked a question about availability on their blog but the post never appeared so I assume it was never read/moderated/approved.

arms
12th Jun 2011, 09:26 AM
Wondering if anyone has recently ordered or been able to contact tim-and-tina to check these are still available? I asked a question about availability on their blog but the post never appeared so I assume it was never read/moderated/approved.

personally i think this is a somewhat cross referenced way of self promotion through starting a thread and answering from another poster

r3nov8or
12th Jun 2011, 01:08 PM
personally i think this is a somewhat cross referenced way of self promotion through starting a thread and answering from another poster
That doesn't mean they don't work.

And every time you post you use the forum to advertise your business in your sig. Is there really any difference?

arms
12th Jun 2011, 02:49 PM
i was making a comment not an accusation . if that is the case then announcing the mechanism to the forum would have been sufficient ,and as an aside i offer information to the forumites that they seek and cant get from mainstream sources and if business comes my way well and good if not i get the warm and fuzzy satisfaction that i have helped someone on the path

r3nov8or
13th Jun 2011, 11:32 AM
BTW the mods checked the original tim-and-tina post and were satisfied there was nothing untoward

arms
13th Jun 2011, 03:47 PM
BTW the mods checked the original tim-and-tina post and were satisfied there was nothing untoward

so did i and there are similar items that do the same function on the market ,but the weekend warriors wouldnt know that .but they do now

brettsyoung
22nd Jun 2011, 07:19 PM
The tim-and-tina type things don't work for drawers - I tried. They need the heavy spring of the cabinet door hinge to push the piston in. I found the the piston tended to stop the drawer slam but the drawer remained open slightly as the gravity system of the drawer slide wasn't sufficient to fully close it (if that makes sense). Of course you can always push the drawer home manually. I dunno about the amazon ones...worth a try.

cheers
Brett

Pitto
23rd Jun 2011, 10:14 AM
Get in touch with Teckform, they have a Ferrari mechanisims that works for solid drawers and the Blum Metabox style runners. Pretty cheap too.

G