Australia's largest renovations forum

Hire the best air conditioning and heating expert and save up to 40%

Go

Actron ESP plus Ducted Air Conditioning

Novice

Default Actron ESP plus Ducted Air Conditioning

Hi All,

Would like some advice on the new ducted air-conditioning system you can get these days. I currently have a very old ducted system which I am looking at replacing because it doesnt seem to be very energy effiecient and the other just doesnt warm the house up.

I have been quoted on a Actron ESP plus system to have the ability to seperate my zones into individual areas and have one zone on at a time instead of having a constant running.

I would like to know if anyone has a new system and how engery effiecient they are or do they chew up electricity?

We will be mainly be using it to heat the house rather than cool

Any information is appreciated

Thanks
    Macmen

Had a 14Kw Mitsubishi Electric invertor installed before winter. Been running it a lot to warm the house, works great...got a $550 electric bill. Does that seems expensive??

Novice

Default Thanks

[quote=tricky4000;746032]Had a 14Kw Mitsubishi Electric invertor installed before winter. Been running it a lot to warm the house, works great...got a $550 electric bill. Does that seems expensive

I am assuming this a quater bill which would quite good

Thanks

Yes that's a quarter...I still felt it was a bit high. Glad the gas ducting is going in soon. Hope that brings the price down.
    Well, after all the research I did on ducted unit, everyone kept pointing me to ME. All the other brands came behind ME, even Daikin.

I have said it before and will say it again, the actron esp with zones is the best option availible in Aus at the moment if you can afford it.

The system is better than a inverter and can ramp right down further than the inverters can, the other thing is that in a normal ducted system is the zones are independent from the system this means that if you close off zones the system is still running the same unless you turn it down. With the actron, as you turn off zones the units bbrings the output down to a level needed to run just thoose zones still open, so you not having to dump or bypass excess air not needed.

Expect some bring changes in air con in this country in the next 5 years, refrigerants are expected to go up some 5000% in price, and good solar air con is just round the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by tricky4000 View Post
    Yes that's a quarter...I still felt it was a bit high. Glad the gas ducting is going in soon. Hope that brings the price down.
    I thought Reverse cycle AC was cheaper than gas Kw for Kw output?

Not sure about that Bob, I've heard otherwise time and time again.

Novice

Interesting topic.

I put energy efficient split systems in all the rooms in my 40 square double story house. That way I only turn the unit on if i'm in that room( I suppose that the zoning sorted). Mrs and young kids at home most of the day, keep it running in the kids bedroooms at night for most cold winter nights. Bill ran to $380 this winter quarter. It will be interesting to see how I go this summer. I'll keep you posted.

I'm guessing if I ran ducted to the whole house, the bill would come much higher?? My theory is at night, im in the lounge, kids in bedroom, so I switch on the lounge and kids bedroom. No use heating my bedroom, kitchen, bathroom, etc if no one is there.

Jim Komps
    Split system installer

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Need to compare apples and apples. Most people will quote you the cost of running a 5* Inverter vs a 3* gas system. You can get 5* gas systems, which are basically like an inverter - they are not just on or off, there is some level of gas flow control that allows them to run at intermediate levels.

gas is by far cheaper to run - comparing similar systems. I think gas is a nicer heat also.

1K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Depends on the location since gas and electric charges vary a lot across the country.

In my case it's about 6 to 1 in favour of A/C since gas means LPG. For others, gas will be cheaper.

Check what rates you are actually paying to compare. In rough terms, you'll need 13.5 MJ of gas to equal 1 kWh of electricity using typical gas and A/C appliances (I've taken efficiency as 80% gas, 300% A/C).

For me, I spend a lot of time outside in the cold down here in Tassie so I really don't like walking into cold rooms in the house. So I wouldn't want any heating to be "zoned". Obviously others will have a different opinion.