Australia's largest renovations forum

Hire the best plumber and save up to 40%

Go

Bosch 26e Hot Water Service?

Apprentice (new member)

Default Bosch 26e Hot Water Service?

Hi all,

My Rheem electric hot water service has bitten the dust and I went into a local AGL shop today and a Bosch 26e was suggested to me. Have had a bit of a look online and found some not so favourable reviews. Just wanted to see if anyone on here has one and what they think of them.

Cheers.

gasfixeruperer

The Bosch 26e comes with 3 years parts and labour warranty and 10 years on the heat exchanger. Same as Rinnai, Rheem, Dux etc. If you search hard enough you'll find negative comments on every appliance. 9 times out of 10 a problem with a hot water system is usually down to poor installation and not the actual unit. Whichever model you chose just ask the installer to guarantee that the cold water supply and gas will be sufficient for a 26 litre model

Apprentice (new member)

No worries, thanks for the quick reply, and totally agree on finding negative feedback on any appliance. I'll set what the plumber says when he comes to take a look.

1K Club Member

ive got one and its brilliant, no problems here. even my plumber who installed it reckons they are great, better than rinnai and some others.

Apparently those Bosch ones have an auto ignitor that activates when the water begin to flow. Is this right Wozz? Might save you on a power point installation...but it sounds like you already have power there anyway.
    I have a Rinnai unit and I know they have an excellent warranty. The day after mine was installed it stopped working. Rinnai sent out their own plumber and they replaced it with a brand new one out of the box for me immediately.

1K Club Member

my bosch is electric igniter as far as i know.

Apprentice (new member)

Default Rinnai FTW

I had one of the cheapest Bosch units and I hated it: It needed the tap to be wide open and the water would run scalding hot, then cold, then hot. (That turned out to be a faulty thermocouple, $130 for the part and no guarantee something else wouldn't break).The pilot light consumed gas all day, and when I wanted a shower at night when it was pouring rain, one turn of the hot tap and the light would go out. Standing cold, naked and dirty in a storm trying to get the damn thing lit was not my idea of a good time. The plumber wondered why there were so many dents in the casing...

I did a lot of research and came up with a Rinnai Infinity 26. It requires a power point, and there's no pilot light. It fixes in about the same spot as the Bosch. It uses about a third of the gas, honestly. It's amazing how long the bottles last now. I needed a new regulator and larger supply pipe to the unit, but that's mostly down to new safety regs and I don't have a problem with that.

The best thing is that it has a remote digital controller on a wire. I can set the temperature to my optimum 46 and only use the hot tap. No more fiddling with the mix trying to get it just right. To do dishes, I turn it up to 50. It's brilliant, and it's made a huge difference.

On the Bosch auto-igniters: I enquired about them as I liked the idea of the water flow igniting the gas - it sounded pretty clever and sexy. My plumber agreed, and mentioned that he always keep 3 spare igniters in his truck. He doesn't keep Rinnai spares though. There's a hint

Apprentice (new member)

I know your looking at Bosch 26 but I had a bosch 16H installed less than 3 years now just past warranty of course all my problems started. Sometimes hydro power ignites and then when you really need hot water no go. Basically 4 plumbers and electrician tell me its my filters,or water flow blah blah, I can be without hotwater for days next minute its back. Or plumber visits he adjusts this and that until it ignites again then next day its gone again. My water bills are becoming a joke.
    never happy with a cold shower

We have the 26e. It makes hot water. Thats about it, turn the tap and hot comes out. I like that.
    I just love sheepies!

gasfixeruperer

Quote Originally Posted by denisealaalatoa View Post
    I know your looking at Bosch 26 but I had a bosch 16H installed less than 3 years now just past warranty of course all my problems started. Sometimes hydro power ignites and then when you really need hot water no go. Basically 4 plumbers and electrician tell me its my filters,or water flow blah blah, I can be without hotwater for days next minute its back. Or plumber visits he adjusts this and that until it ignites again then next day its gone again. My water bills are becoming a joke.
    never happy with a cold shower
    The Bosch Hydro range, in my humble opinion, is an overpriced, unreliable pile of you know what that have nothing in common with the Bosch electronic series other than the name. Intermittant faults with the hydro or battery model (in my experience) are down to the ignition control unit. I've had to replace 3 in the last few months. Same problem. Works one day, not the next. Replacing the ignition box has cured it every time.