Australia's largest renovations forum

Hire the best plumber and save up to 40%

Go

How to fix mis-aligned downpipe? (Pic)

Weekend Warrior

Default How to fix mis-aligned downpipe? (Pic)

Hi All,

Can anyone offer some advice on the best way to fix this without having to dig up all those damn stones? The house is only 8 years old, but I guess thats what you get from building on back fill. The pipe in the ground appears to be a flexible type, almost like ag-pipe but without the drain holes.

I think you are going to have to dig up the stones.

Simple fix.
    Cut the downpipe back either by a meter up from ground or even a meter below gutter.
    Remove the connector and add a length of pipe going up wall. Add a Leafeater on top of the pipe. Easy!

Regards,

Project 1080.

Default Aligning downpipe

Slack t*rds, how could they leave that?

Be that as it may, you are going to have to dig up enough to create a sleeve junction between the circular drainpipe (90mm I assume) and the rectangular downpipe.

This involves lots of different pieces of 90mm with different angles and different M-F/M-M/F-F ends to get right. Plumbers probably know more about the junctioning, as do orthopaedic surgeons. Same thing.

Buy lots of 90mm junctions of different sorts, they are real cheap, keep the receipt, and take all the excess bits back at the end.

And a good idea to get a bag of 10mm gravel to surround the pipe. That fill in the photograph looks lethal to PVC.

Apprentice (new member)

[quote=Compleat Amateu;768643]Slack t*rds, how could they leave that?=quote]

Read the post, built on back fill.

Hi
    I would suggest you dig out a little of the blue metal and extend the 90mm with a joiner and pipe, and refit down pipe fitting , the pvc can make parts for you if you use white pvc glue made for Marley storm cloud fittings or similar this way you can make unavailable fittings from parts and ends

Default ipsy wipsy spider

Most rectangular downpipes are 1.8m long (sometimes 2.4m). As the length of downpipe required from the gutter down to the stormwater drain is much longer, there is generally 2 lengths of downpipe involved. If you can't see a join it may be hidden behind a downpipe bracket. The downpipes are tapered and are generally overlapped by at least 100 mm, sometimes much more. You may be lucky and be able to slide the lower section down to meet the downpipe adaptor on the stormwater drain.
    Good luck cobberbrava

Quote Originally Posted by Compleat Amateu View Post
    Slack t*rds, how could they leave that?
    they didn't, the pipe in the ground has sunk over the last 8 years, you can clearly see the paint line on the downpipe.

The downpipe is prob 2 sections, see if you can extend it to take up the distance, if that fails, dig up the stone and extend the plastic pipe with a joiner

Default Pay the piper

Don't dig it man. Just get a small piece of downpipe (large end) and slip it over the lower section and then down into the adaptor. Probably only be a piece of 150 - 200mm. You might find a short bit on a building site, or get an offcut from a plumber. Good luck

Weekend Warrior

Thanks for everyones suggestions - I've finally got a weekend off this week, so I'll give it a crack and report how I went.

Apprentice (new member)

Boeing, unless you dig up the pipe and raise it back to its original level, it will always have that unsightly misaligned angle. And depending on the original grade that the pipe was laid at, unless you raise it, it might always be running uphill.

I'm sure your best and most satisfactory rectification would be to excavate above the pipe until it can be pulled up to its original level, water in sand to give the pipe permanent future support, and re-attach the downpipe to the adapter fitting.

Weekend Warrior

Thanks to everyone for your replies - as looseless suggested the downpipe lengths were overlapped, so after removing a bracket I was able to slide it down - but I did have to dig it up a bit and give the adapter a twist get it all flush.

Now I just need to see if the last owners left me some of that colour paint and it'll be job done.

Thanks again everyone!

Dave.