My new house in southern NSW has an 8,000L rainwater tank located in the basement/garage. There is a first flush diverter (ball float-in-pipe style) and a mesh screen between the inlet and the tank.
However we have been getting a lot of bugs and beetles coming off the roof and getting caught by the mesh. If I don't empty the mesh soon enough the incoming water washes over the bugs and the tank water gets smelly and putrid.
My plumber calls them S#!% Beetles and says there is not much that can be done.
The water is used only for the garden so it is not a health concern. However the water stinks and the smell floats through the house.
Is there a product I can pour into the tank to kill any bacteria/algae or whatever it is and stop the smell? A disinfectant or antibacterial or something? There is a pump connected to the tank so I don't want anything corosive that would damage seals etc. Nor anything that could kill the garden!
Thanks in advance.