Australia's largest renovations forum

Get the best kitchen renovation and save up to 40%

Go

Height between top cupboards and gas cooktop?

Default Height between top cupboards and gas cooktop?

Hi, we are renovating and planning our new kitchen! We have been told that the minimum distance between cupboards over the top of a bench has to be 600mm because we are installing a gas cooktop!

Lots of web pages and kitchen design books dont seem to follow this guideline? I guess I'm just worried, because as I'm getting older, I cannot reach my top cupboards now, so in a few years time I'll never reach those top shelves?

Has anyone else had this problem with the 600mm rule?

Cabinetmaker

general rules state its 650mm from the gas cook-top TRIVETS to your overheads, however, check your range hood specifications also as they may need more distance than 650mm and you may void the warranty
    conditions if not adhered to.

i generally allow 700mm between bench top and overheads which has me covered.

also check your cook-top specifications as it may have a minimum install distance between back wall and cook-top
    find us on facebook - Pitman Cabinetmaking

Cabinetmaker

600mm applies to electric cook-tops, but, once again, check your range hood specifications for minimum heights

Duck Fat - 2K club member SilentButDeadly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darcydugan View Post
    I guess I'm just worried, because as I'm getting older, I cannot reach my top cupboards now, so in a few years time I'll never reach those top shelves?
    ...which then leads me to wondering why you'd even consider top cupboards in the new kitchen. I'd be looking at bottom cabinets with drawers....
    People don't ever seem to realise that doing what's right is no guarantee against misfortune

Golden Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pitto View Post
    general rules state its 650mm from the gas cook-top TRIVETS to your overheads, however, check your range hood specifications also as they may need more distance than 650mm and you may void the warranty

also check your cook-top specifications as it may have a minimum install distance between back wall and cook-top

Not sure where you got 650mm from, it's always been 600mm from where I'm from.

Cabinetmaker

How much clearance is required around cooktops?

There are rules in Australia about how much space there needs to be around cooktops - these are listed in the Australian Standard AG/601-AS5601. Gas burners in particular get plenty of attention, thanks to the fact that they operate using a naked flame.
    According to Australian regulations, the minimum clearance between a gas cooktop element or burner component is:

• 600mm of vertical clearance to a combustible surface, and 200mm of horizontal distance to a vertical surface. If these measurements can't be met, the surface in question must be protected with a fire resistant material in accordance with AG/601.
    • 600mm to a rangehood
    • 750mm to an exhaust fan.

It's worth noting that with exhaust fans and rangehoods there isn't a specific clearance requirement under the Building Code of Australia. Like all appliances though, these need to be installed according to statutory requirements, and so that the installation meets the manufacturer’s specifications.

The Standard also states that the horizontal clearance from a hotplate or burner to a vertical combustible material (like an acrylic splashback, for example) should be over 200mm. If not, the splashback or other material needs to be protected with a non-combustible material to a height of 150mm for the full length of the cooker.
    from the miele manual

The minimum safety distances
    between the top of the cooktop and the
    bottom of the rangehood given in the
    "Appliance dimensions" section of this
    booklet must be maintained, unless the
    cooktop manufacturer states that a
    greater safety distance is required.
    from the meile manual again

Safety distance between cooktop and
    rangehood
    The minimum safety distances
    between the top of a cooktop and
    the bottom of the rangehood are as
    follows, unless a greater distance is
    specified by the manufacturer of
    your cooking appliance:
    – 600 mm above electric cooktops
    – 650 mm above an open grill
    or deep fat fryer,
    – 650 mm above gas cooktops
    If this rangehood is installed above a
    Miele Wok CS 1028 CombiSet
    appliance, a minimum safety
    distance of 760 mm must be
    maintained between the burner and
    the lower edge of the rangehood.
    See “Warning and Safety
    instructions” for further information
    from the omega appliances website - http://www.omegaappliances.com.au/Do...cument_208.pdf - see page 2

where range hood is installed over a gas fueled cooktop,
    the minimum distance between the top of where the pot rests [trivets] and the underside of the
    hood MUST BE 650mm
    from the SMEG website

Rangehoods

Question: What's the optimum distance between rangehoods and gas or electric hobs?

If your cooktop is electric, the Australian Standards require a minimum of 600mm free space from the cooktop to the rangehood. If your cooktop is gas, the Australian Standards require a minimum of 650mm free space from the top of the trivet to the rangehood. Please be sure to use a licensed plumber or gas-fitter for correct installation and adherence to the appropriate building codes and standards which vary in each State of Australia. Failure to comply with regulations and faulty installation, may effect your warranty.

from the bosch website

DHI 625 M AU retractable instruction PDF

page 2, fig 1 - GAZ meaning Gas, min. 650mm , ELECT. min 430mm

and the important part is TOP of trivetts so 650mm is in fact closer to 700mm from bench surface
    kind regards
    tom armstrong
    www.kitcheninabox.com.au
    Flat Packed kitchens to the world

2K Club Member

The rules state 600mm for the cupboards whatever the cooktop, now a recess would be normally left in the overheads above the stove for the range hood or whatever which satisfied the manufacturers recommended clearance from the trivets or stove top.
    regards inter

Cabinetmaker

yeah, but that look goes back to the 80's and doesn't maintain the lines of the kitchen overheads

that said, i had a client recently that we installed the Bosch RH at 600mm [electric CT] and dropped the rest of the overheads down to 500mm because of her height.

there's nothing to say the rest of the overheads must be at 600mm from the bench, the height regulations only state from the cooking appliance, Which i think i have covered pretty well in depth.

And good luck with the warranty claim if you decide to install it at 600mm over a gas cook top and you have issues. i know for a fact, Meile look into everything before they will warrant their products and if its not installed correctly, you have a problem. ok if you have a cheap china rangehood, not so much if its a Meile, Bosch or other high end appliance

Apprentice (new member)

We recently renovated our kitchen and installed the range hood 750mm above the gas cooktop. Also we did not install overhead cupboards on either side of the range hood. Our primary reason for doing this was safety. The secondary reason was to minimise stains (eg. oil) on the overhead cupboards.

See this folks - another guy making stuff up as he goes along

from the miele manual

from the meile manual again

from the omega appliances website - http://www.omegaappliances.com.au/Do...cument_208.pdf - see page 2

from the SMEG website

from the bosch website
    Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here

As mentioned; grease and grime are a major factor too ... that's why I do not recommend placing those very funky looking utensil rails behind and around cooking spaces - ours is covered with gunk (this may indicate how I found out why placing them there is a bad idea)

same often goes with suspended pot racks, but I rather suspect that has more to do with them only being used decoratively as opposed to functionally.

I do love this version VERY much though, and hope to be able to afford one when the time comes, as its pots and pans will get used every day.

Or this one

Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here