Australia's largest renovations forum

Get the best bathroom renovation and save up to 40%

Go

Tips on Ikea Kitchen Flat Pac Reno

Apprentice (new member)

Default Tips on Ikea Kitchen Flat Pac Reno

Hi

I am new, first post and first reno... I have been reading a lot on this forum and have decide to go with the Ikea kitchen on my flat.

so steps:
    1) strip old cabinet and lino floor
    2) Paint kitchen
    3) Install Flat Pack
    4) get the plumbing&electric done by pros
    5) Install new lino floor.

so first question- the wall is concrete and very hard to drill and install the cabinets..how do i hang the cabinets on the walls?

Is it an easy job to do?

Regards
    melb

Default Price

I was in the situation of looking for a relatively inexpensive kitchen to place into our house until we demolish/renovate back end.

We came down to 2 choices - an Ikea kitchen that I had to put together myself, or a custom made kitchen that would be installed for us.

Guess what - the custom made cabinetry was cheaper and of better quality and installed for about $800 cheaper than what the Ikea would be (that is for a $3500) kitchen. Just a basic functional kitchen - nothing flash.

Get a few quotes - you might be surprised.

Order:
    1. Strip and and make safe electrical and plumbing
    2. Repair and repaint as required
    3. Initial electrical and plumbing/gasfitting
    4. Replace / install flooring.
    5. Install cabinets.
    6. Electrical connections and plumbing/gasfitting to appliances with appliance installation.

Drilling walls - make sure you know where your wires and plumbing are prior. Can drill walls with masonry bits and insert either plugs or spaghetti to screw into. Most wall hung cabinets will do by several screws and plugs if sound brick/concrete). Alternatively can use dynabolts for things that need some load like heavy weight shelves. If in doubt consult instructions or supplier for correct details. Use a hammer drill with a proper masonry bit when drilling concrete and bricks.

If is your first reno - be careful of live wires and fibro (could contain asbestos in older houses). Use proper safety gear as well such as goggles and hearing protection. If you are not sure of what you are doing - STOP. Go and ask around for help or advice - generally works out cheaper and safer.

Good luck.

(All usual legal disclaimers apply such as do at your own risk, consult a professional, apply appropriate safety standards, conform to legal requirements........do not eat yellow snow etc)

I totally agree with an3_bolt.

Get some quotes. I did the same as you - 1st reno and went with IKEA. Although it turned out good and was cheaper than quotes I got, by the time I factored in driving to get it, picking it off the shelves, driving it home, driving back later when you realized you've accidentally grabbed the wrong items or missed some(happens all the time) and the time spent putting them together and installing I cant help but think I'll get someone else to do it nextime.

The good thing with IKEA is the quality of hinges and the soft-close on their doors and drawers - but you can get this with contracors just ask for BLUM hinges.

After you strip the old kitchen - get a plumber and electrician to do some work then - if you are moving the position of sinks or ovens - or if you need to install extra powerpoints, rangehood?

I'm happy I went with IKEA for the learning exp. and satisfaction of doing it, but yeah get some quotes, it cant hurt.. and factor in the time and effort too

I'm going in to bat for Ikea here. I have just installed an Ikea kitchen and am really pleased with it. I can't speak for custom kitchens as we didn't get a proper quote, perhaps they can be as cheap, but we did seem to find that like any other commission based product they get you in the door with the promise of "Kitchens fitted from $7k" but that is for something that you don't really want and what you do is "just another $1k more".

I downloaded the Ikea designer software and spent about a month designing my kitchen and making it fit into my tiny space (for instance I found a 2 bowl sink with drainer at ikea that fitted within a 900mm wide cabinet - try getting that anywhere else, I haven't seen one). I think we got a great product and I am fairly confident we couldn't have got that from a local supplier.

That said, I started in Dec and only really finished a month or so ago whereas friends of ours got a kitchen professionally built and fitted in 2 weeks (wouldn't tell us how much though).

Ask yourself how long you intend to be living in your place. If its less than 10 years I reckon the Ikea kitchen will be fine. Local kitchens are arguably more sturdily made than flatpack Ikea ones but in my opinion over engineered considering how much situations can change over 10 years. Just because an old house has a 30 year old kitchen in it that is still standing doesn't mean thats a good thing.

tam
    Apprentice (new member)

I'm just about finished putting an Ikea kitchen into my unit with double brick walls, and I hung the wall cabinets with 6 x 60mm dynabolts into holes drilled with a 6mm masonry bit. I wasn't happy with just the 2 in the predrilled holes in the cabinets, so i added one or two more at the bottom of each cabinet. The dynabolts in that size fit the ikea system hardware supplied so it worked out quite well, and they are very solidly attached. The only problem was that sometimes the predrilled holes meant we drilled into the mortar between the bricks, so most of the cabinets have a couple of extra holes drilled, which we'll fill with builders bog.

I'm sure it would have been quicker done by professionals - i ripped the old kitchen out on the 3rd of march, and got all the cabinets in by the beginning of may. But i'm doing it in my spare time around work; and the biggest delay has been waiting for a benchtop to be made - should have been done in 10 days but now blown out to 5 weeks, and they stuffed up the measurements and its going to be another 2 weeks wait.

I wouldn't have missed out on the experience (and fun!) of doing it myself for anything. What i probably would have paid to have it done, i've easily spent in tools and mistakes, but then i've still got the tools for the next job.

best of luck

Just as a comparison, below is a trade price list for supply only

Trade only price list for base cupboards inc adjustable feet and assembly screws

Manufactured with solid backs with Hmr (moisture resistant) 16mm white board

Flat pack ready to assemble

720 high x 560 deep x 300 wide $98
    720 high x 560 deep x 400 wide $109
    720 high x 560 deep x 500 wide $119
    720 high x 560 deep x 600 wide $129
    720 high x 560 deep x 700 wide $139
    720 high x 560 deep x 800 wide $149
    720 high x 560 deep x 900 wide $159
    720 high x 560 deep x 1000 wide $170
    720 high x 560 deep x 1100 wide $180
    720 high x 560 deep x 1200 wide $190

These cupboards can be made to whatever size you require. Prices will calculated on the next size up the price list from your requirements
    www.bestpricewardrobes.com.au
    Wardrobes supplied & installed

I've almost finished mine. It's turning out really well and I agree with what Tam said

"What i probably would have paid to have it done, i've easily spent in tools and mistakes, but then i've still got the tools for the next job."

Anyway, we have managed to get it all done significantly cheaper than the initial quotes we got for a complete kitchen. On the other hand it has taken a lot more time and effort, but that's just the price you pay (and I've built some healthy muscle along the way). No wonder some of the tradies look like they spend a lot of time at the gym!

One good thing about the IKEA one is that they give you a 25 year guarantee! Has anyone tried to get that from any of the locals? You may want to check out my list of IKEA kitchen tips on this page Flatpak Kitchens - experiences? as well as some other useful tips in the same thread.
    On my knees!
    (pulling nails and tacks, not praying)

How much cheaper was the Ikea to the quotes you received Nomad?
    Was that install only excluding electrical etc?

I have noticed some apartment builders putting flatpax kitchens in which they probably get at trade discount through Bunnings based on their buy rate.
    Bunnings bench tops are dear though.
    Currently obsessed with non-hydraulic mortars

http://brickandstoneart.blogspot.com.au/

(for instance I found a 2 bowl sink with drainer at ikea that fitted within a 900mm wide cabinet - try getting that anywhere else, I haven't seen one).

http://www.oliverisinks.com/download...Bowl_Guide.pdf
    kind regards
    tom armstrong
    www.kitcheninabox.com.au
    Flat Packed kitchens to the world

Well, the quotes we got landed at 7.500- 8.500 excluding appliances, plumbing and electrical work for a "full service" installation. We spent roughly 3.500-4.000 at IKEA (13 cabinets (2 full height), benchtops, sink, tap, drawers, all doors and drawers are soft closing, etc), 1.600$ for electrician (did lots more than just the kitchen), 1000$ for plumber (gas, sewer, water, vent for rangehood). Appliances are: Westinghouse SS oven 900$, Ariston SS 60cm gas cooktop with wok burner 300$, 30cm SS ceramic hob 400$, 90cm SS robinhood rangehood 300$, Westinghouse upside down fridge/freezer 1.100. Add in some tools, materials, tiling of the floor, floortiles, walltiles. I think everything including the kitchen sink will land at just a bit over 10.000

What we spent less in cost I have made up for in @#%& words and time. Admittedly, the main reason it has taken me so much time to finish the kitchen is that I discovered that most of the tiles in the bathroom were loose, so I had fix that before I continued with the kitchen
    That alone took me about 2 weeks (never tiled before so I'm slow but at least picky enough to make it look okay).
    Also had some fun with a couple of the tradies who haven't yet understood that in a recession it's the client who calls the shots, not the other way around.
    For example: We told the floor sanding company that their services were no longer required after; they promised to show up to start sanding at 7AM, finally arrived at 2PM (after we phoned them twice), spent 15 minutes looking around while ignoring everything we said to them, told us it wouldn't be finished at the time they had stated in the quote, that replacement floorboards were 28$/m, not 35$ as quoted, then promptly buggered off to another job.
    The rangehood vent pipe took more than 3 weeks to get in, as every time the plumber planned to show up, it rained. I think he has started calling us the rain gods of Brisbane by now .
    On my knees!

One good thing about the IKEA one is that they give you a 25 year guarantee!

partly correct

http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_AU/guarant...antee_2008.pdf
    kind regards
    tom armstrong
    www.kitcheninabox.com.au
    Flat Packed kitchens to the world

Yes, it doesn't cover anything and everything, surprise, surprise

If you can find a contract, warranty or guarantee that doesn't absolve the manufacturer of any/all responsibility...

Then I say; hold on to it and never let go!
    On my knees!

Apprentice (new member) Chris Niarros's Avatar

Ikea kitchens are great, i spent a few months (settlement period on new house) playing with the ikea kitchen design program. Put the cabinets together and laid them out in the garage over a few weeks. Then it took 3 days to do the kitchen. 1.5 days ripping out the old kitchen and ripping off old tiles.looks great, plenty of design options and storage ideas.
    got to buy some new tools, and had a heap of fun doing it.
    all up including new oven, stove, range, hidden dishwasher, sparkie, plumber, new tools and custom bench tops(laminex) cost me $10k