kriso is offline Keen Renovator

Default Which 3 in 1 paint is best

I am currently renovating my house and am re-painting. The entire house has been painted in baby blue enamel on all the walls and a darker blue enamel on all the trims....(why anyone would do this I'll never know) Anyway, I was wondering what is the best undercoat to use for painting over all this enamel. Is a 3 in 1 product best, or is an acrylic undercoat / sealer all that's required. I have used taubmans 3 in 1 before and found it to be good, but it doesn't seem to cover the blue coloring all that well. Is there another product thats better???

Regards.

Axel is offline Novice

Stick with the taubmans 3in1. A Cheaper acrylic sealer undercoat would be OK if you weren't painting over enamel. One coat of 3in1 plus two coats of a good quality acrylic wall paint should be OK for just about any colour change. Make sure the 3in1 is properly stirred through before applying.

Also have you chosen a colour for your topcoat? It may be worth having the undercoat tinted as well.

I have chosen a very light neutral brown as the top coat colour. The coverage on the walls is not too bad but the darker blue trims seem to take a lot to cover. I have been using the Taubmans water based enamel on the trims in a white colour and have thinned it with 5% water. However after undercoating it seems to take 3-4 topcoats to cover the blue on the trims......

Strom is offline Senior Member

Hi..
    I would NOT recommend an acrylic undercoat as a transition coat from enamel to acrylic especially on your woodwork.
    I would be using Zinsser Bin.
    And as an added bones this product will also cover the blue allot better than .
    If you have allready started with acrylic undercoat I believe you will find it will be quite easy top scratch off the enamel using your fingernail..

Goodluck..

Hi Strom,

Thanks for the feedback. I have run out of Taubmans 3 in 1 so i will checkout the Zinsser product. I have only seen this product come on sale recently at my local bunnings, but do not know anything about it....but will investigate.

Cheers

Strom is offline Senior Member

Hi..
    Don't know how much your local bunnies is flogging it for I normally order it from hear..
    & no I have no association with paint access..

Buy Paint:Zinsser B-I-N:$79.44 @ PaintAccess.com.au

Goodluck..