Australia's largest renovations forum

Hire the best plasterer and save up to 40%

Go

Plastering over a painted surface?

Default Plastering over a painted surface?

Hi all.
    Seems I missed a crucial basic here but plaster doesn't appear to stick to a painted surface.
    I have repaired cracks in my 100 year old lath and plaster walls using Rod's techniques but I didn't strip the paint first. Today I put in a second coat of cornice cement and it fills the cracks really well but doesn't stick to the painted edge which I think means I won't be able to feather the edges with base coat then top coat.
    Can someone tell me how to get the plaster to stick to the paint. I did try to strip the paint but it won't budge.
    Also
    I need to cover a rendered wall.. It's extremely rough textured and painted. Can I simply apply two coats of top coat or will I have problems with it not sticking because of the paint.
    Cheers
    Sue

quality + reliability - 3k Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by dangermouse1598 View Post
    Hi all.
    Seems I missed a crucial basic here but plaster doesn't appear to stick to a painted surface.
    I have repaired cracks in my 100 year old lath and plaster walls using Rod's techniques but I didn't strip the paint first. Today I put in a second coat of cornice cement and it fills the cracks really well but doesn't stick to the painted edge which I think means I won't be able to feather the edges with base coat then top coat.
    Can someone tell me how to get the plaster to stick to the paint. I did try to strip the paint but it won't budge.
    Also
    I need to cover a rendered wall.. It's extremely rough textured and painted. Can I simply apply two coats of top coat or will I have problems with it not sticking because of the paint.
    Cheers
    Sue
    Sue, there are some painted surfaces that plaster will adhere to ok. But it is impossible to recommend that it will stick to a surface base on a description. Most plasterers would have a good idea of what will stick and what wont.

I would usually scuff up or scratch up the area to give the plaster something to adhere to. Top coat will usually stick ok to a rough texture but if it is painted with a glossy paint you will have trouble. I would get a strong wire brush and give it hell to be sure.

Cheers Rod

A 4" grinder with a masonry grinding or coarse sanding disk or even wire cup brush is a handy addition to the 'remove paint or other unsuitable coatings' toolbox! Dusty, tho'!

If you use the wire brush in a grinder, beware of flying bristles, you need good thick clothing to avoid ending up looking like a porcupine!
    DIY electrical wiring to AS/NZS3000 - details here - http://goo.gl/9d33T (PDF file)

Awesome advice... Thanks so much!
    I actually bought some Bondcrete which, according to the data sheet, will allow the plaster to adhere to the paint. I haven't opened it yet, thought I would seek advice first.
    Has anyone ever tried it?
    Cheers
    Sue

quality + reliability - 3k Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by dangermouse1598 View Post
    Awesome advice... Thanks so much!
    I actually bought some Bondcrete which, according to the data sheet, will allow the plaster to adhere to the paint. I haven't opened it yet, thought I would seek advice first.
    Has anyone ever tried it?
    Cheers
    Sue
    We used to use it until we had a job where the type of plaster reacted to the bondcrete and the entire lot just peeled off the ceiling in large slabs. So I dont trust it anymore. We never got to the bottom of it exactly.

Cheers Rod