Australia's largest renovations forum

Hire the best fencing expert and save up to 40%

Go

Leaning paling fence

Default Leaning paling fence

Our paling fence developed a bad lean, on closer examination one of the redgum posts has got a crack at its base. From what I can tell, all other posts are ok though some of the palings need to be replaced. What are my options for propping up the posts? Are star pickets the only way to go or are there other alternatives because my experience with star pickets is that they are hard to get out from the ground.

You could sister the post, get a half post, dig a post hole against the existing post and ram in place then put a couple of coach bolts through to hold in place. You could also dig out the post and replace, which could be worth while if the fence has plenty of years left in it. You have to consider though what condition the remaining posts are in but it sounds as though it might be worth the effort. I wouldn't use star pickets, temporary at best and not really able to take the load of a paling fence as they offer little sideways resisitance in damp ground if that is what you have, they are ok for a short time though.

Thanks John. I started to dig next to the post on the weekend. After approx 200 mm I ran into some concrete, probably old footings. Tried the crowbar but that was hard work. I used my rotary hammer drill and that made holes pretty easily in it so I go about another 100 mm in but couldn't use it any more as I couldn't get it in any more. There is still concrete there and it is awkward to try and use the drill. I think I need to go a little further with the digging as the hole is still narrow but crowbar/drill just slide off the walls of the hole. Do I need to get a jack-hammer or is there another solution? Ozito used to sell one for around the $350 mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Thanks John. I started to dig next to the post on the weekend. After approx 200 mm I ran into some concrete, probably old footings. Tried the crowbar but that was hard work. I used my rotary hammer drill and that made holes pretty easily in it so I go about another 100 mm in but couldn't use it any more as I couldn't get it in any more. There is still concrete there and it is awkward to try and use the drill. I think I need to go a little further with the digging as the hole is still narrow but crowbar/drill just slide off the walls of the hole. Do I need to get a jack-hammer or is there another solution? Ozito used to sell one for around the $350 mark.
    Probably easier to just remove a couple of palings at the post, dig out the post concrete and all and put in a new post, nail rails and put back palings. A crowbar should just remove the concrete by striking it at the corner of the post however that doesn't always work. FWIW I don't use concrete on wooden posts but ram the earth back instead, the posts tend to last longer and stay up as well as concreted ones. The key is soil type and compaction.

Thanks again John, the soil is a little sandy so not sure tamping will work here.

Default Removing star pickets

It sounds counter intuitive, but hammer the star picket into the ground slightly before trying to remove, this breaks the tension between the picket and surrounding soil and rust thus making them easier to lever out of the ground.
    George

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Thanks again John, the soil is a little sandy so not sure tamping will work here.
    You will get a better result out of slightly loamy or sandy soils than from heavy clay, if it is that grey winter soup and summer rock you get in some patches of the SE suburbs it will compact well. If worried just use a bag of premix, for the lazy throw in dry wet the hole well first and top the hole with water after adding mix. It will go off soon enough.