What are the accepted parameters of a picket fence.
- Should the gap between the pickets be equal to the thickness of the pickets,
- Should the post be equal in height above pickets as to the posts width
- Should the rail the pickets are attached to be equal in width to the pickets (but thicker)
- Should the distance between the top of the pickets and the rail be equal to no 2 above
- Am I making this into too much of a science?
We are looking to build a white picket fence for our 1930's weather board cottage in Victoria Park (WA) and have decided to make it from;
- 90x90 galv posts with end caps and all welds ground smooth so as to resemble timber,
- 40x20 square top pickets between posts
A standard design approach would help greatly.