90585
Australia's largest renovations forum

Taurus 2HP Air Compressor (from aldi)

Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SEQ
    Posts
    135

    Default Taurus 2HP Air Compressor (from aldi)

    hi everyone

    i just bought one of these units from aldi on the weekend for $119. i just saw it there and made an impulse purchase. havent used it yet and before i unpack it i wanted to know if anybody has one or has used one before ? i only intend to use it for basic home reno stuff - nail gun, spray gun etc for small jobs.

    thanks in advance,

    db

  2. #2
    Soldiers Earned Your Right To Free Speech watson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Avoca Victoria
    Age
    71
    Posts
    2,614

    Default

    I had a look at one when they were on special a few weeks ago, and they look the same as all the Chinese made compressors in that price range. For home use they are fine..........I've had a G-force (insert any other Brand Name in the $99 -$120 price range) for about 5 years, using it for Brad nailing up to 50mm....spraying ...Tyre pumping....engine cleaning...water rocket launching....just bought a Taurus Sheet Metal shears (haven't tried it yet..but it's built like a sh it brick house.
    Instruction manuals are bad....as all the chinese one's appear to be.
    Don't forget to open the water drain every so often, and if it requires oil......keep it topped up.

    I wouldn't use it for trade use....but it'll be the bees' knees for home use.

  3. #3
    The Master's Apprentice Bedford's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Yarra Valley Vic oz
    Posts
    7,292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    just bought a Taurus Sheet Metal shears
    Ok I confess, I did too, I just couldn't help myself at 29 bucks. It certainly seems solid and cuts great as well.
    "The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government and I'm here to help." óRonald Reagan

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SEQ
    Posts
    135

    Default

    sweet! yeh its in no danger of trade/over-use at my place.

    thanks for the tip on draining and the oil.

    cheers

    db

  5. #5
    Soldiers Earned Your Right To Free Speech watson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Avoca Victoria
    Age
    71
    Posts
    2,614

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bedford View Post
    Ok I confess, I did too, I just couldn't help myself at 29 bucks. It certainly seems solid and cuts great as well.
    Tomorrow day.....is the big trial.
    Oh and D00b.....any tools you get for it...keep and use the air connector covers.
    Bloody Mud wasps just love that diameter hole

  6. #6
    The Master's Apprentice Bedford's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Yarra Valley Vic oz
    Posts
    7,292

    Default

    One thing I did find with the shears is that they use a lot of air, and the little compressor was running nearly all the time, where my old bigger one didn't have to run as much. I don't know if this is just the holding tank size difference, or if the older (twin cylinder) one just pumps up quicker. It's still good though and don't forget the earmuffs.
    "The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government and I'm here to help." óRonald Reagan

  7. #7
    Soldiers Earned Your Right To Free Speech watson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Avoca Victoria
    Age
    71
    Posts
    2,614

    Default

    [quote=Bedford;796881 It's still good though and don't forget the earmuffs.[/quote]

    What????

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SEQ
    Posts
    135

    Default update

    just an update on my aldi "taurus" air compressor-

    so far so good! ive been using it for framing and architrave nailing etc with 50mm brads (warning - it takes 16g not 18g brads, they are a little bit harder to find) and stapling. i tried out the spraygun that came with it on some skirting and quad and it went really really well imho. the pot size is about 700ml by my measurement and i was surprised how many coast you can get out of that if you stay 15-20cm back and do nice even coats.

    one thing with spraying tho, as with using the air gun, the little compressor is fairly active (moreso with blowing) so i wouldnt recommend it for heavy duty spraying but as watson said, great for bits of diy at home.

    oh- i snapped off the oil cap on the first day. some of the plastic parts arent very sturdy so be careful. im currently using a cork in place of the cap! a decent tradeair hose is a must too, the one it comes with is like trying to use a piece of wet spaghetti.

    the taurus brad nailer i bought with it ($29) has been awesome. struggles sometimes with hardwood but i think thats more the compressor than the gun.

    8/10 from me.


  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SEQ
    Posts
    135

    Default Please read

    Quote Originally Posted by d00biez View Post
    just an update on my aldi "taurus" air compressor-

    so far so good! ive been using it for framing and architrave nailing etc with 50mm brads (warning - it takes 16g not 18g brads, they are a little bit harder to find) and stapling. i tried out the spraygun that came with it on some skirting and quad and it went really really well imho. the pot size is about 700ml by my measurement and i was surprised how many coast you can get out of that if you stay 15-20cm back and do nice even coats.

    one thing with spraying tho, as with using the air gun, the little compressor is fairly active (moreso with blowing) so i wouldnt recommend it for heavy duty spraying but as watson said, great for bits of diy at home.

    oh- i snapped off the oil cap on the first day. some of the plastic parts arent very sturdy so be careful. im currently using a cork in place of the cap! a decent tradeair hose is a must too, the one it comes with is like trying to use a piece of wet spaghetti.

    the taurus brad nailer i bought with it ($29) has been awesome. struggles sometimes with hardwood but i think thats more the compressor than the gun.

    8/10 from me.

    i feel pretty stupid right about now. have just returned from holidays and straight after i wrote the above post (before i went away) the compressor carked it. i say "carked it" but more specifically i believe its blown a gasket somewhere as the motor and the pump run continuously, but very little air is stored in the tank. i have left it on for 10mins and then dumped the tank and there is only about 15seconds of medium pressure air stored. i was doing some fairly intensive air gun dusting in my workshop right up until the failure.

    i called aldi and they referred me to the 3rd party warranty company "helpline". they represent the overseas companies that build the products for aldi (and also myers and djs i think). i spoke to helpline and i was fairly uninspired. they asked me 3 times to make sure the release valve and safety release valve werent engaged lol. after that they asked me to check for leaks (there may be air escaping from near the air filter) and then asked if i had my receipt. unfortunately the aldi receipt ink faded away (silly me for not photocopying it) and i threw it out since the unit seemed to running well. sadly, the warranty certificate alone is not enough to get them to do anything about it even tho i suggested printing out my credit card statement for the purchase.

    not sure what i will do now but the cost of repair will probably be comparable to the cost of the unit so i may look to upgrade to something more reliable.

    anyone purchasing this unit should beware of the return policy and understand that spraying and blowing for long periods are not ideal for this unit. i still say it was fantastic for nailing.

    cheers

    dooby

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    act
    Posts
    105

    Default

    I was thinking of buying one from Aldi. Lucky me I did not. Thank you for your review.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SEQ
    Posts
    135

    Default

    quick update - i pulled the top of the air intake off and one of the two "reed" valves is snapped in half. its a small reed looking piece, about .5mm thick and about the length and width of a 3rd of a paddle pop stick. a helpful chap at helpline endevoured to get me a replacement valve for no cost but that was 2 weeks ago and i still havent heard back from him.

    will post back if any further updates.

  12. #12
    Old Chippy - 4K Club Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Canberra
    Age
    62
    Posts
    5,516

    Default

    Got to push harder on that warranty. Australian law makes the retailer (ie: ALDI) responsible for warranty obligations regardless of what the retailer tries to tell you. Just because the retailer uses inks that fade (they nearly all do) doesn't remove the obligation - all you need to do is provide proof of purchase and your credit card record is sufficient (and that this is an Aldi branded product).

    They might warrant the item for 1 year - but you will find most booklets will say things like 'this item will give you many years of service' and the actual statutory warranty is what would reasonably expected to be an average service life of such an item used as described and intended. So you might have trouble if it was used in a commercial or trade way, but otherwise you should expect at least 2-3 years of good home.

    You need to take this up with the Manager at the Aldi store you bought it from and be persistent and firm but not angry. There is no such thing as 'manufacturers' warranty - only what is conferred by the Trade Practices Act. There is a contract between the retailer and the supplier/ maker of the product, but your contract is only with the retailer - you are the retailer's client not the maker's and the retailer has to honour the warranty.

    So don't give up yet.

  13. #13
    Apprentice (new member)
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    5

    Default

    As far as I am aware, if you go back to Aldi where you purchased the machine and tell them the date you brought the machine the will search the records and reproduce the receipt for you, you can also do this at Bunnings.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SEQ
    Posts
    135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldbloss View Post
    Got to push harder on that warranty. Australian law makes the retailer (ie: ALDI) responsible for warranty obligations regardless of what the retailer tries to tell you. Just because the retailer uses inks that fade (they nearly all do) doesn't remove the obligation - all you need to do is provide proof of purchase and your credit card record is sufficient (and that this is an Aldi branded product).

    They might warrant the item for 1 year - but you will find most booklets will say things like 'this item will give you many years of service' and the actual statutory warranty is what would reasonably expected to be an average service life of such an item used as described and intended. So you might have trouble if it was used in a commercial or trade way, but otherwise you should expect at least 2-3 years of good home.

    You need to take this up with the Manager at the Aldi store you bought it from and be persistent and firm but not angry. There is no such thing as 'manufacturers' warranty - only what is conferred by the Trade Practices Act. There is a contract between the retailer and the supplier/ maker of the product, but your contract is only with the retailer - you are the retailer's client not the maker's and the retailer has to honour the warranty.

    So don't give up yet.
    thanks blossy and markr for taking the time to give me some further avenues of enquiry (good points raised blossy). i shall certainly attend at the store and have a polite discussion with the manager to plead my case. will be back with more updates soon..

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SEQ
    Posts
    135

    Default Important update!

    well knock me down with a feather - after taking the advice of blossy and markr i contacted aldi head office and spoke with an empathetic and lovely lady there.

    not only did she listen to my tales of woe, she issued me a new receipt (they couldnt print off the old one, it was purchased too long ago) and undertook to speak to the warehouse guys and see if they could salvage any parts from other returned units.

    a week later i received an express post satchel containing two brass or steel gaskets, two new "reed valves" AND a new oil cap which i accidentally broke (see earlier post) with a note saying "good luck finishing off your renovations!",

    i havent put the new parts in yet and i dont know for sure that they will fix the prob but i have a hunch they will.

    so, after eating some humble pie, i have to say ALDI far exceeded my expectations and im really pleased with the outcome. thank you a.h if you happen to read this!

    thanks everyone

    doobz

  16. #16
    Golden Member m6sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    546

    Default

    You would be very surprised to know who makes some of Aldi`s products
    My Mother worked at WELLA and they were making alot of the Shampoos, Conditioners and Body Washes for Aldi before they closed down and production got moved to Thailand

    and i remember her telling us that Aldi required higher standards then what Wella required of there products

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SEQ
    Posts
    135

    Default

    yeh that is surprising! ive been a pretty keen aldi shopper for a while.. you cant get everything there but its great for alot of stuff, in bulk, and cheap.

    i did hear from someone (mightve even been in this thread) that their stuff like compressors and power tools are all made in china and they make the cheap ones as replicas of a "name brand" model and then just stick different badges and some cheaper bits on like plastic air hose and crappy oil caps etc on them?

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SEQ
    Posts
    135

    Default fixed.

    my little aldi 2hp compressor is fixed ! put the new reed valves in (slightly tricky), put the head back on, plugged it in and turned her on... BOOM! perfect. very happy.

    if anyone else has this problem with the generic air compressor type (bunnings/super cheap/aldi) let me know i'll be happy to share some tips for getting it going again.

    cheers

  19. #19
    Diamond Member Terrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Kilsyth, Victoria
    Age
    56
    Posts
    1,065

    Default

    Damn nice way to do business and to spread a good word about your company name (all at the cost of SFA)

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SEQ
    Posts
    135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Terrian View Post
    Damn nice way to do business and to spread a good word about your company name (all at the cost of SFA)
    mate couldnt agree with you more! i had very low expectations and was completely blown away (no pun intended!!) with aldi's customer service. really, they couldve told me it was a warranty problem and brushed me off.

    cheers

  21. #21
    Apprentice (new member)
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Bywong
    Posts
    1

    Thumbs up Reed valve

    Hey Doobz, can I have your old reed valve I also have a broken one and one good one.
    Cheers Kev. kevinminibarry@hotmail.com or cloverleafdesigns@yahoo.com.au

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SEQ
    Posts
    135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by conrod View Post
    Hey Doobz, can I have your old reed valve I also have a broken one and one good one.
    Cheers Kev. kevinminibarry@hotmail.com or cloverleafdesigns@yahoo.com.au
    youve got mail!

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Melbourne Vic
    Posts
    245

    Default

    Let say that Aldi had high standards up to three years ago their own brands were superlative compared to known brands at other supers. These days Aldi is a little different much more well known and aldi is meeting fierce competition from the big two.
    As far as tools is concerned well there is always Home Hardware and Mitre 10 own brands that can match Aldi's prices and quality sometimes

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SEQ
    Posts
    135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardito View Post
    Let say that Aldi had high standards up to three years ago their own brands were superlative compared to known brands at other supers. These days Aldi is a little different much more well known and aldi is meeting fierce competition from the big two.
    As far as tools is concerned well there is always Home Hardware and Mitre 10 own brands that can match Aldi's prices and quality sometimes
    hi mate, dont you mean the "big two" are meeting fierce competition from aldi !? certainly in europe they are dominant but here i think they are still trying to establish and corner their target demographic.

    from what i understand about the budget DIY range of tools/hardware, they all come from the same place (PRCH) and most likely from the same conveyor belt !!!

    anyway this post was about sharing my experiences with others and i thrashed the hell out of that compressor (and have been all week now that i replaced the reed) and im really happy with it. the $30 brad nailer is awesome too.

    cheers

    dbz

  25. #25
    Apprentice (new member)
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Hi mate,

    That is the exact same problem I face at moment. I bought the same Taurus 2HP Air Compressor from Aldi, and used it for several time. Now the air presure is too low to operate properly. Would you mind letting me know how to fix it?
    Thanks!


Similar Threads

  1. Aldi. a harrowing experience
    By rrobor in forum At the end of the day
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 20th Nov 2009, 03:32 PM
  2. can you recommend a compressor
    By ibrox in forum Tools & Products
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 13th Oct 2009, 09:52 PM
  3. compressor
    By ibrox in forum Tools & Products
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 1st Oct 2009, 09:27 PM
  4. Aldi 'Workmate'
    By murray44 in forum Tools & Products
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 6th Aug 2009, 11:37 AM
  5. Painting with an air compressor
    By Cobber in forum Painting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 6th Aug 2006, 10:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •