Australia's largest renovations forum

Hire the best roofing expert and save up to 40%

Go

Pointing gable ends

Apprentice (new member)

Question Pointing gable ends

Should the gaps under tiles at gable ends be filled? I think this would be called pointing but I'm not sure. We've just had a gable end repaired (it was sagging) and I thought I had discussed with the guy about filling the gaps under the tiles, but he doesn't recall this conversation. Also he claims that its normal practice to leave gable ends open in Perth. Seems pretty weird to me (but then I am a pom, my dad was obsessed with sealing every little nook and cranny of the house against rain...). Surely the rain will go in and the cfc board under the tiles will get water damaged?

The gable end at the front of our house (built 1949) appears to be filled with a wooden(?) board that has been cut to match the shape of the tiles. That seems like a fiddly way to do it and obviously doesn't make a complete seal, but must be good enough as there is no sign of water damage at that end of the roof. This other gable end that we have just had repaired is a newer (1980's) part of the house and was completely unsealed.

Golden Member

Quote Originally Posted by geobabe View Post
    Should the gaps under tiles at gable ends be filled? I think this would be called pointing but I'm not sure. We've just had a gable end repaired (it was sagging) and I thought I had discussed with the guy about filling the gaps under the tiles, but he doesn't recall this conversation. Also he claims that its normal practice to leave gable ends open in Perth. Seems pretty weird to me (but then I am a pom, my dad was obsessed with sealing every little nook and cranny of the house against rain...). Surely the rain will go in and the cfc board under the tiles will get water damaged?

The gable end at the front of our house (built 1949) appears to be filled with a wooden(?) board that has been cut to match the shape of the tiles. That seems like a fiddly way to do it and obviously doesn't make a complete seal, but must be good enough as there is no sign of water damage at that end of the roof. This other gable end that we have just had repaired is a newer (1980's) part of the house and was completely unsealed.
    I agree it should be pointed up.

Old Chippy - 4K Club Member

- the timber scribed sections on the older gable end was quite common and often a job for the apprentice - although there were moldings available in some places from timber supply places. Can't leave it open!
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.