Australia's largest renovations forum

Hire the best roofing expert and save up to 40%

Go

roof trusses, where can i find info on them?

1K Club Member

Default roof trusses, where can i find info on them?

i want to design a roof truss for my shed that will be 4.5m wide. where can i find the info to make a roof truss for this span? this is what im thinking of doing in 90x35 timber, will it be suitable for 4.5m span?

Normally you just send details of the plan to the truss manufacturer, and they design it.
    I once had to study the design of these things....believe me my brain hurt for months afterwards.
    Good luck.
    TM

rrobor

Sure do. just go to your local hardware store and ask the guy that deals with wood, He is sure to be able to give you the name of truss manufacturer. That Ok Heady?.

Retired

Hi Wozza,

If you can give me all the specs such as:
    • truss centres
    • overhang dimensions
    • pitch
    • roofing material and batten centres
    • if there will be a ceiling, if no ceiling, how much weight will you be storing in there (and you will )
    • and what general area you are in for windspeed

I'll do the cutting lists for you and design the timber connections with nail on plates.

***EDIT***

Wozza, I've done the design and the cutting list for you based on sheet roof @900mm crs and 17.5 degree pitch with no ceiling. You'll get the knuckle nail plates at the big green box. I can't add PDFs here so if you want I can email them to you if you PM me an email address.

cheers,

1K Club Member

thanks, your a legend.

Apprentice (new member)

Hi,
    I hope you don't mind me asking directly but you seem to know a lot about roofs and I don't. We want to have a flat roof changed to a pitched roof with tiles to match the rest of the house. The roof is approxiamately 11.5m by 5m and he is quoting $25K. Is this reasonable?
    thanks Dave

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by trovell View Post
    Hi,
    I hope you don't mind me asking directly but you seem to know a lot about roofs and I don't. We want to have a flat roof changed to a pitched roof with tiles to match the rest of the house. The roof is approxiamately 11.5m by 5m and he is quoting $25K. Is this reasonable?
    thanks Dave

G'day, unfortunately you haven't given me enough information to give you an answer for the trusses alone, never mind the rest of the construction.

I have estimated based on a pitch of 22.5 degrees that even if you get trusses with a good markup you will still get a bit of change from $3000. Now you will need roof battens, ceiling battens/ bracing (see below).

Say 300 l/m of roof batten at $2.00 per metre
    Say 175 l/m of ceiling batten at $2.00 per metre

You will also need to allow for soffit battens and blocking and soffit material, usually 4.5mm fibre cement sheets.

Then you need to assess the existing roof. If you can just remove the existing roof and leave the current purlins and ceiling in place, that would be advisable. This will save you in demolishing the existing roof completely and getting rid of the ceiling.

If the ceiling stays in place you don't pay for plaster and labout and paint.

If there is room, the trusses could be placed in between the existing purlins or possibly run as a 'top hat' scenario whereby the trusses are sat on top of a row of battens that are on top of the existing roof purlins. The battens fic to the purlins, and the trusses fix to the battens and then the new trusses are then braced in their own right.

I have no idea on tiles whatsoever unfortunately and the only current prices I see these days are wholesale timber prices.

You really need to spend a few hundred dollars and get a drafty out to have a look and get some options. Print this out and get the drafty to check out the existing roof structure to see if the truss beside purlin or top hat method will work for you.

I can't be of more help but that should get you started.

Cheers,

Apprentice (new member)

Default Thanks

Thanks for the advice, even with all the extra work that needs doing 25K still seems steep to me. I am going to look into it further if only to satisfy my own curiosity.
    Cheers

1K Club Member

this roof we are talking about is not 4 stories high is it?? if so then $25k is probably reasonable, if not then ya getting ripped.