otranta is offline Apprentice (new member)

Default Building in underneath a queenslander

We have a 10 year old queenslander style house and we want to build in underneath. Our beautiful home is ready to go, it is full legal height and the slab is already down.

I have been told that we will have to get a draughtsman to draw up the plans and then a certifier to approve the plans.

What I need to know is how much work in involved in this? we have never done structural reno's before, we have only done bathrooms/laundry and cosmetic stuff. What is actually involved in building in this space? is it done with cladding? How does it work?

How much of this are we going to be able to do ourselves? It is a job for a builder or can we tackle the building in and internal walls ourselves? Obviously we would get professionals to do any and all electrial and plumbing.

Any advice is welcome!!

fishnmick is offline Novice

If it's a simple job consider doing an owner builders course.
    You will still need to get plans and certifier. The course should explain the whole process

Default Owner Builders Course

Where would I find about doing one of these? Is the course expensive to do?

petersemple is offline Senior Member

My BIL did an owner builder's course at TAFE a few years ago. Not sure if they still do them - or even if they are the best.

Peter
    Life's too short for dull sandpaper

fishnmick is offline Novice

Try the QBSA, I think they have some info

ringtail is offline 3K Club Member

You can do the OB course at TAFE or a few other training organisations and also by correspondance. If the job is valued at more than $ 11 000 you need to do it. You will also need a drafty to do the plans for you and probably an engineer for the bracing. You will also need a plumbing inspection for any new plumbing points downstairs ( hope you have already put the needed pipes in the slab, otherwise add $ 20,000 ). Is the slab habitable ? if so you will need to prove this to the certifier with a form 15 and form 16 from whoever designed and laid the slab. If you have never done any structural work before I suggest that you hire someone and try and work with them as a labourer. Although technically there will be nothing really structural about the walls downstairs other than bracing. You will also need internal stairs, which means a big hole in the floor ( definitely structural) and big dollars. Its totally do - able but frought with danger for the newb. Some of these projects go on for years and years because not enough time can be applied to the job. You get 18 months to finish it before the certifier hits you up for extension of time fees ( which are not cheap ). Oh, you will also need to buy some pretty decent tools along the way.

Default Details

Thanks for the advice.

I am hoping to build in the current external stair case rather than having to put one in the living area, I would like to conserve the space in the living area.

We are looking at draughtsmen as we speak. Need to get some plans done up. Just trying to track down the original house plans, we didnt build the house and council is not sure if they have them. Any ideas?

I have found which certifier did the original work and I am going to contact him to do the extension.

I am planning for the plumbing to be directly under the existing plumbing. Eg the new bathroom/toilet to be under the existing bathroom toilet. the second bathroom to be under the kitchen. I figured it would be cheaper and easier than installing new plumbing??

Any other suggestions? do those plans sound reasonable? Any advice?

Plumbing - how are you going to get your sewer out ? Are there sewer points already in the slab for the upstairs plumbing ?

Plans, the certifier should have them filed away somewhere, if not the council will have them. You pay $ 90 to the certifier for council archiving fees with every job. A copy or two of the plans go to council and are filed away.

stevoh741 is offline Flaccid Member - 1k Club Member

big job if you not sure what your doing.....

I cant see a way to hook upto the sewer without cutting the slab. Even if you already have a sewer point in the slab for the existing plumbing upstairs, you wont be able to put a shower waste into it. You might be able to drop a toilet into it. The only way I could see it working is if you have a shower in a bath or put a 200 mm concrete base down then build the shower up on that to get fall to the sewer point.( you dont need to be legal height in a bathroom) Even if your existing sewer runs down the outside of the building you will still have to build the shower base up or chase the waste pipe into the slab but this costs $$$$$ and will require some decent engineering because you will have to cut the reo in the slab and the edge beams. I hope I'm making sense. Building in the external stairs is a good idea. You loose a whole room by putting in a staircase through the floor.