Australia's largest renovations forum

Hire the best builder and save up to 40%

Go

moving structual wall

Novice

Default moving structual wall

hi

I want to move a structural stud wall back around 250mm, my idea is to do like the picture (in red). Can I do this ?
    I would section the red in 90x45 in hardwood and bolt to the existing sections.

Is there are easier way ?

Thanks

Nic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wall2.jpg  

hi - what is your reason for doing this? If it is to get a bit more room there are other ways, depending on the height you have there etc.

Based on the info provided, I would have to say I doubt it will work - it looks like you intend transferring the vertical load on the 'black' timber-work, over to the red beams which are horizontal - this appears to mean you will have the weight of the roof being borne by those, which won't work as they will eventually sag in my opinion.

I guess as it is such a very small distance, you could marry in timber on both sides of the ceiling joists, feeding them in around 500mm, then bolting through both thereby sandwiching the existing joist .... just seems like a huge amount of effort for a very small gain in space. Not that I want to discourage you from gaining space - just from getting hurt or a poor result, not that I am a builder!

The other issue I have though, is water - when it rains the water will accumulate on the flat unless you make the whole thing like a large gutter.

Maybe I am missing a bunch of stuff here, so I look forward to hearing back
    Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here

Old Chippy - 4K Club Member

First answer is that this structural work has to be done by a licensed tradesperson and needs approval.

The drawing does not show a structure that would work or be safe and compliant with the Building Code.

The second answer is is along the lines that seriph1 said and requires you to rephrase the question to say what it is you are trying to achieve as it is likely that you can get extra space in a way different to that sketch.

What it seem you are wanting is to gain some more space in the room. To do so you need to install something that will carry the weight of the roof across whatever the opening width is that you need. That can be a beam above the rafters or below and could be steel as that will be smaller and stronger, or it could be timber.

You could also look at bay window style openings that open up an area partially but do not move the whole wall out. I am assuming that the wall is a single skin timber frame not brick veneer, but you need to confirm that too as well as what sort of floor the room has and whether it is a trussed or conventional roof.
    In any case you will need to provide more complete drawings and pics before anyone will be able to give you any advice that makes sense and is safe.

Removing or cutting holes into load bearing walls is not something that should be attempted unless you really know the implications of doing so. I reckon you should get a qualified mate to come and look at it or pay someone to give you some advice as to what is possible and to offer some options.

Novice

Hi Steve

I tried to simplify the problem down, but yeah there is more to it than meets the eye.
    I'm making an opening between the house and the extension that is already built at the back, and also moving the laundry.

There is one stud (drawn) that is in the path of the corridor and laundry.
    In fact I want to move it 250mm one way as drawn, and 200mm the other way (towards you when you look at the screen).
    The picture below is the front view if before you has the side view, should give you a better idea.

There is already a 2000mm opening right next to that stud, my other option is to put a bigger lintel across the 2000mm opening and get rid of that whole stud.

nic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wall3.jpg  

Don't know about others, but that's as clear as mud . . . A few pics might show it better - the sketches don't do it (for me anyway).

Novice

ok try this, although the picture makes it looks more complex than it is !

nic

Yeah, the more I think about it, getting rid of it all seems like the best idea.
    I'll get an engineer to spec a lintel to span the whole opening

nic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_0345.jpg   img_0344.jpg  

Yep - a new lintel/beam to go the whole way is the go. Much easier to see with the pics! The lintel won't need to be much deeper than what is there to go only an extra 250mm, maybe not at all.