DaveO is offline Apprentice (new member)

Default Raising a queenslander with chimney

Hello all! I'm currently looking at building in under a 1901 qlder (currently on stumps) and our architect has advised that this will probably entail raising the house 300-500mm to attain the required clearance. However we have a chimney with 3 fireplaces which runs through the centre of the house and which we wish to retain We're not sure how (or even if) we might go about lifting it to keep it level with the rest of the house.

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? Are we better off just demolishing all or part of it and re-building (not our first choice as its an original chimney and would be a real shame to see it destroyed)?

Thanks!

antdavis is offline Apprentice (new member)

Default Raising a Queenslander with a Chimney

Hi Dave ... We are looking to do the same with a similar style of property. I am interested to find out what you ended up doing to your property ?

Regards

Anthony Davis

Hi Anthony,

In the end we excavated rather than raised. After looking into it I found some guys that would lift with the chimney - it involves cutting the chimney, lifting the top half, inserting extra courses of bricks for required height, and lowering the top back down. However we also learned that

a) it's risky, there is the chance things could go wrong esp. with a stack as old as ours and either partly collapse (an outside chance) or crack a flue internally and no longer draw correctly (apparently a reasonable chance of this). Also might need re-pointing afterwards, though ours did in places anyway.

b) it becomes considered new construction by council, so we would have to abide by new codes (ie: can't have our old open wood fireplace or somesuch).

Addionally with our chimney we needed someone who knew about working with old lime mortars, narrowing our choices considerably.

So we excavated to gain the required height (just!), and underpinned the chimney. More expensive but we were able to keep the chimney entirely as is.

Dave

autogenous is offline Golden Member

So we excavated to gain the required height (just!), and underpinned the chimney. More expensive but we were able to keep the chimney entirely as is.

I thought it would have been the other way around.

Any pictures? I love old houses.
    Currently obsessed with non-hydraulic mortars

http://brickandstoneart.blogspot.com.au/

It was about 15k extra on the restumping for the chimney, plus whatever the extra plumbing and electrical work would have come to. Maybe a few more thousand? Excavating for height (rather than just leveling the block a bit as we originally planned) was about 5-8k extra and the underpinning + rendering was in the realm of 15k. Though I must say I got ripped off on the underpinning, long story. I reckon it should have been at least 5k less.

Will try and get some pics up later I'm pressed for time right now

Dave