Australia's largest renovations forum

Hire the best builder and save up to 40%

Go

Shed conversion to studio

Default Shed conversion to studio

Hello there

I want to build a shed and convert it into a dwelling, the cheapest way possible and of course, the legal way. I am trying to give my daughter a helping hand after a nasty marriage break up, she is left paying high rent for herslef and two daughters. I have acerage and I am able to place anther dwelling onto plus two studios. Doing this will give her a helping hand to finish her staudies, kids near nan etc etc.... but we have limited funds, so if anyone out there can share some ideas, we are looking at posibly a 9x12 shed with mezzamine floor to half.

Possum

Duck Fat - 2K club member SilentButDeadly's Avatar

How about a basic 3 wall farm shed with a couple of dongas....or two or three shipping containers stuck together. Google 'shipping container housing'.....
    People don't ever seem to realise that doing what's right is no guarantee against misfortune

Old Chippy - 4K Club Member

A regular farm shed then insulate and divide into rooms and line is the cheapest and fastest IMO. Need to think about power, water and ablutions though.
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.

yep, a shed with a mezzamine floor looks good, ship containers are out as it would be impossible to get them onto the block being pretty steep. I just need to look into shire requirements I guess..... kit homes.... I wonder if they could be the go? anyone know anything about them?

Possum

What about a removal home. I can get you a free 3 bedroom weatherboard fibrous plaster postwar in brisbane for free. Whitsundays would be a bit too dear on the move though. It's normally about $10k for the first 100km. But you might be able to find a free or very cheap one up there, the hydraulic trailers they use to move them often mean they can do steep blocks.

Hi Brissyboy

I moved an old Qld'er up from Bundy to here a few years back, it was a struggle to get that on the block, I couldn't get another one up it's to steep.
    I would love to get another one though, a small qld'er cottage would be idea. Whitsunday's dont have many old qld'ers here, (nice ones) Townsville or maybe Mackay, but it wouldn't go up the block. Shed fitted looks like to go.

Keep the ideas coming.....

I would even consider a kit home set up as a show home for a good discount.....

Being forward here... what's your budget? Also, once she moves on do you plan to rent the 'dwelling' or what plans do you have post charity?

budget is around $110k
    and yes, would be renting it out once she moved on.

Duck Fat - 2K club member SilentButDeadly's Avatar

Even with a kit home you may struggle with access....they typically come all packed together on one truck. If you can't get the truck up there in one go then the extra transport could be a budget killer.

Simple timber framed and trussed box or two....clad in tin...the odd window and a Bunnings kitchen and bathroom.
    People don't ever seem to realise that doing what's right is no guarantee against misfortune

Old Chippy - 4K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Possum63 View Post
    budget is around $110k
    and yes, would be renting it out once she moved on.
    You'll have no problem getting a suitable well fitted place for that!
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.