Australia's largest renovations forum

Get the best landscaping and save up to 40%

Go

Colorbond fence posts into brick pillar?

Apprentice (new member)

Default Colorbond fence posts into brick pillar?

Hello
    I'm considering building a colorbond fence on top of a brick retaining wall.

Would it be feasible to fix the colorbond posts into the sides of brick pillars that would be built up from the retaining will? So the colorbond posts would be standing side-by-side with the vertical brick pillars of the same height.

1K Club Member

Piers would need to be tied into wall, also would core drill into wall and grout post in for added support

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by cherub65 View Post
    Piers would need to be tied into wall, also would core drill into wall and grout post in for added support
    I don't see what you mean. Could you post an image or sketch?

The piers will be standing on the wall bellow them so I don't know where they could be tied in.

Does core drilling basically mean cutting part of the shape of the fence post into the brick pier?

Here is an image of the effect I'm trying to achieve, though the piers would be narrower than this and closer together: http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/5...ll3363x491.jpg

1K Club Member

Worked on 350 mm wide brick work. Drill 20mm dia. hole into existing wall, chemset (glue) 16mm rebar at least 300mm deep
    build up brickwork to finished height bar should be to this level. Concrete cavity (make sure cavity is clean before concrete)

Core drill is a large dia drill which cuts a circular hole in concrete/brickwork and removes the core
    Drill holes after you set out the piers but before you build them (this way post will be flush with piers)
    Hire drill and bit
    detail.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails detail.jpg  

Apprentice (new member)

Thanks for the explanation and image. It sounds like a big job.

Quote Originally Posted by cherub65 View Post
    Worked on 350 mm wide brick work. Drill 20mm dia. hole into existing wall, chemset (glue) 16mm rebar at least 300mm deep
    build up brickwork to finished height bar should be to this level. Concrete cavity (make sure cavity is clean before concrete)

Core drill is a large dia drill which cuts a circular hole in concrete/brickwork and removes the core
    Drill holes after you set out the piers but before you build them (this way post will be flush with piers)
    Hire drill and bit
    detail.jpg
    From what I understand, the rebar is used to reinforce the brick pier. Is this to provide enough strength to it to support the weight and sheering forces of the fence? I was thinking of using only 3 colorbond sheets in between 2 brick piers and wouldn't have thought this would create so much work. So for every 2 brick piers, there are 3 colorbond sheets (and 2 colorbond posts) in between.

In your image, on the wall-proper, to the right of the rebar, I see there is hole for the colorbond post. How would the post be attached to the brick pier?