Thread: Topsoil for Lawn - best times?
- 9th May 2008, 11:28 PM #1Novice
- Join Date
- Jul 2007
Topsoil for Lawn - best times?
Thinking of placing topsoil on an old patchy lawn.
When is the best time to do this?
I don't want to kill it if I cover it with topsoil.
Can I do it now? In middle of winter?
Or should I wait till spring?
- 10th May 2008, 12:38 PM #2Apprentice (new member)
- Join Date
- Feb 2008
- Kingscliff NSW
Spring has sprung, the grass has riz I wonder where the birdies is?
- 23rd May 2008, 04:57 PM #3
Definitely wait till spring hope fully after some rain.
Mow it first and add a good turf fertiliser then remember to spread it fairly thin and water in.
Not sure what you are aiming to achieve whether it is to increase soil depth or not, but top dressing is usually done to fill depressions and level a lawn.David L
- 24th May 2008, 02:21 AM #4
If you have a warm climate grass, this time of year is good to top dress with a fine layer of sandy loam or light soil and oversow with a cooler climate grass like fescue or rye that will spring up while your buffalo/couch/kikuyu is dormant through winter
Green grass all year!Planned Landscape Constructions
- By Ashwood in forum LANDSCAPING, GARDENING, OUTDOORSReplies: 3Last Post: 7th Nov 2007, 04:21 PM
- By mako in forum LANDSCAPING, GARDENING, OUTDOORSReplies: 6Last Post: 4th Nov 2007, 11:20 AM
- By Jimbeam in forum LANDSCAPING, GARDENING, OUTDOORSReplies: 7Last Post: 11th Sep 2007, 10:47 PM
- By Alix in forum FORUMS INFO, HELP, DISCUSSION & FEEDBACKReplies: 8Last Post: 31st Jul 2003, 07:30 PM