Hire the best Glazier

Cost of leadlight panel for door

Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Senior Member Strungout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Age
    62
    Posts
    121

    Default Cost of leadlight panel for door

    Hi,

    I have an old house 1915 and I have been requested by my boss to find out how much it would cost to get the front door fitted with a leadlight.the panel would be about 600mm x 600mm .(2ft square)

    Does anybody have an indication of what it would cost.Am I looking at hundreds or thousands ?

    Also does anybody have any idea where I can buy plain "Antique" red glass for some High lights in my front windows.

    I have been to a couple of Art glass places in Sydney and have not had any luck .

  2. #2
    Melon Member! Tankstand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Christies Beach
    Age
    56
    Posts
    116

    Default

    Have had these bookmarked for a while,

    Theres this mob in Taree

    And Glassworld

    As for the cost of your boss' doors? Depends upon how elaborate or simple. Should be well under one thousand
    The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
    Albert Einstein

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Singleton NSW
    Age
    66
    Posts
    70

    Default

    I had a quote for stained glass for our front door - $800 for the 400X400 panel - that was 10 years ago.

    Ended up doing a stained glass course for $160 and made the window myself for $67


    woodcutta

  4. #4
    Hitter of thumbs, Arrrgh! savage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    campbelltown NSW
    Age
    64
    Posts
    126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Strungout View Post
    Hi,

    I have an old house 1915 and I have been requested by my boss to find out how much it would cost to get the front door fitted with a leadlight.the panel would be about 600mm x 600mm .(2ft square)

    Does anybody have an indication of what it would cost.Am I looking at hundreds or thousands ?

    Also does anybody have any idea where I can buy plain "Antique" red glass for some High lights in my front windows.

    I have been to a couple of Art glass places in Sydney and have not had any luck .
    G'Day Strungout,
    I have been doing leadlight for a little while now and I would be willing to help you out if I can, P.M. me if you are interested. Where in Sydney are you located?....I am out at Campbelltown!....Anyway, P.M. me and I'll give you my number, if you are wondering about my work even though I have not been doing it for a long time have a look at the other thread "It's all Al's fault" I did the Tall Ship. If you want I have more at home and some I will put up as they are completed. At the moment I am doing a side-light for my front door, it is all Aussie flora and fauna consisting of 10 panels 5 high by 2 wide I am on the 9th panel, when complete I will post them here (this is why I have not been around for a while).
    Savage (Eric).
    Last edited by DJ's Timber; 11th Feb 2008 at 04:25 PM. Reason: add link to picture
    savage(Eric)

    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

  5. #5
    Apprentice (new member)
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Been out of it a while now but reckon average retail would be $1000 per sq metre. So yours, depending on intracicy 2 ft by 2 ft have to be round $250 to $300. Installation, delivery etc not included.

    Your Red glass, go to the local leadlight shop, don't be suprised when you see it is the most expensive of the glasses. They use gold to color it!

  6. #6
    Apprentice (new member)
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arjay View Post
    Been out of it a while now but reckon average retail would be $1000 per sq metre. So yours, depending on intracicy 2 ft by 2 ft have to be round $250 to $300. Installation, delivery etc not included.

    Your Red glass, go to the local leadlight shop, don't be suprised when you see it is the most expensive of the glasses. They use gold to color it!
    That sounds about right. I had a very intricate leadlight window made, about 1.2 x 2.1 metres, cost me about $2800 all up.

  7. #7
    Apprentice (new member)
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cromagnon View Post
    That sounds about right. I had a very intricate leadlight window made, about 1.2 x 2.1 metres, cost me about $2800 all up.
    Here's a picture of it, if anyone is interested in this seemingly dying art...


  8. #8
    Hitter of thumbs, Arrrgh! savage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    campbelltown NSW
    Age
    64
    Posts
    126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cromagnon View Post
    Here's a picture of it, if anyone is interested in this seemingly dying art...
    Wow! that certainly would have been a handful, such a beautiful panel.
    Eric.
    savage(Eric)

    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

  9. #9
    Apprentice (new member)
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by savage View Post
    Wow! that certainly would have been a handful, such a beautiful panel.
    Eric.
    Thanks, it sure cost me alot, but I wanted something spectacular and unique. It took ages to make, but was well worth the wait. The chap who made it threw in an outer pane of clear impact glass for free to protect it as he couldn't bear the thought of all his work being damaged by a stone thrown by a lawn mower or similar.

    The scene is of Odin hanging upon Yggdrasil the Worldtree for 9 days and nights to discover the secret of Runic. The tale is told in Runes around the outer edge. The World Serpent can be seen encircling the tree's roots, and that little rainbow is supposed to be Bifrost, the Rainbow Bridge, that leads from Earth to Asgard.

    Probably the only Norse Leadlight window on earth....

  10. #10
    Hitter of thumbs, Arrrgh! savage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    campbelltown NSW
    Age
    64
    Posts
    126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cromagnon View Post
    Thanks, it sure cost me alot, but I wanted something spectacular and unique. It took ages to make, but was well worth the wait. The chap who made it threw in an outer pane of clear impact glass for free to protect it as he couldn't bear the thought of all his work being damaged by a stone thrown by a lawn mower or similar.

    The scene is of Odin hanging upon Yggdrasil the Worldtree for 9 days and nights to discover the secret of Runic. The tale is told in Runes around the outer edge. The World Serpent can be seen encircling the tree's roots, and that little rainbow is supposed to be Bifrost, the Rainbow Bridge, that leads from Earth to Asgard.

    Probably the only Norse Leadlight window on earth....
    Cool, It even has a story to tell!....Unlike mine that are of my searching for that special picture then making a few changes to make it mine, the Tall Ship was actually a picture of a real ship (a clipper I think) most of the fine detail had to be left out and the lead/foil joint was to thick for the ropes on the rigging, so I tinned some fuse wire and used that which has given it a slight 3D effect. Pity I didn't get the name of it!...I guess if I had the name it would have had a story or history to tell!......
    savage(Eric)

    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

  11. #11
    Apprentice (new member) Rattrap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Tasmania
    Age
    56
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Wow nice work guys. crowmagnon that tree of yours is just awsome.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    112

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by woodcutta View Post
    I had a quote for stained glass for our front door - $800 for the 400X400 panel - that was 10 years ago.




    woodcutta
    Daylight robbery...........

    I would only charge a quarter of that for that size panel.
    Karen of Artistry Stained Glass
    30 Years in the Business of leadlight and stained glass ( church windows )

  13. #13
    Apprentice (new member)
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Adelaide-Semaphore
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Like Woodcutta said, I paid less than $200.00 for simple tools (other than what I already had) and a 6 week course a few years ago.
    Over this weekend I have made 2 panels, 200/2000 mm, one pretty simple the other quite busy with lots of long swirls (represents the sea). I did have some glass (probably less than 1/4) but total cost was less than $200.00 and about 8 hours work, and I have a few new bits of colour for next time.

  14. #14
    Novice HiString's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Artiglass View Post
    Daylight robbery...........

    I would only charge a quarter of that for that size panel.
    How can you pass comment when you don't even know what the design was

    My "go to" book for rainy days...........Holmes Principles Of Physical Geology.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    112

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HiString View Post
    How can you pass comment when you don't even know what the design was

    A 400 by 400 panel is quite small.


    Friendly forum this one eh
    Karen of Artistry Stained Glass
    30 Years in the Business of leadlight and stained glass ( church windows )

  16. #16
    Novice HiString's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Of course it's relatively small but my point was, that you should know as well as I do that it's possible for there to be anything from 2 to 1600 (or more) pieces of glass in a panel that size, so until you know the design, it's impractical to comment on pricing.

    Yes, it is a friendly forum but considering that immediately upon joining, you've resurrected/responded to a fair number very old (extinct) threads, you shouldn't blame people for their responses.

    BTW, it may be prudent to consider the possibility that there are others around here who have experience, not only in leadlight/stained glass, but also in traditional painted glass and warm glass .

    My "go to" book for rainy days...........Holmes Principles Of Physical Geology.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    112

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HiString View Post
    there are others around here who have experience, not only in leadlight/stained glass, but also in traditional painted glass and warm glass .

    Cool
    Karen of Artistry Stained Glass
    30 Years in the Business of leadlight and stained glass ( church windows )

Similar Threads

  1. Sourcing a single panel timber door
    By Mcblurter in forum Doors, Windows, Architraves & Skirts
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 9th Jan 2008, 01:00 PM
  2. Flush Panel Door
    By Otwaymist in forum Doors, Windows, Architraves & Skirts
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 29th Nov 2007, 06:39 PM
  3. Garage door noise - panel vs roller door choice ?
    By Justin in forum Doors, Windows, Architraves & Skirts
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 17th Mar 2007, 08:16 PM
  4. Recessed panel entrance door
    By gcutting in forum Doors, Windows, Architraves & Skirts
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 29th Jan 2004, 12:47 AM
  5. Recessed panel entrance door
    By gcutting in forum Doors, Windows, Architraves & Skirts
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 27th Jan 2004, 10:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •