1890s Miner's Cottage Reno

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    House Husband - 1K Club Member
    Upper Ferntree Gully, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

Ahhhhh! Now we see where the daughter gets it from!

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by sundancewfs View Post
    Ahhhhh! Now we see where the daughter gets it from!
    Hee hee. Yeah, chip of the old block. (not so old....sorry Dad)

He's a fitter and turner by trade so never had any building experience except for just having a go and has done some incredible stuff. Building a stair case, etc.

Early on in his attempts to construct things, he made some drawers and being that he was used to the perfection of working with metal, he made it so perfect that the drawer had no room to move. He had his own sort of learning curve to deal with.

3K Club Member

Finally, some progress on the deck!

Since last Thursday I've been working on the deck. I have put aside the driveway and drainage for a bit as I have to wait for the ditch to be dug down along the property to the storm water drain and the asphalt to be laid.

Hopefully that will happen some time soon after Christmas. I'm off work till the 10th of Jan and in that time hope to finish the deck, see the asphalt on the driveway in, put the drainage in place, build a side fence to keep the dog in the back yard and hang some doors for a local couple.

Ok. So, the deck is coming along nicely. I have most of the posts, bearers and some of the joists in place and it's starting to look quite grand.

It's been a bit of a process and I've had to deal with a house that isn't straight and am happy that all is relatively level and square and all that. Some of the posts are a little bowed and I'll deal with that when I get to the handrail stage but for know, I'm pretty stoked to be at this stage.

Today I'll be picking up the Cypress (135x21mm) decking from Ferntree Gully, a bit of a hike but glad to have it finally. (Not White Cypress but Cupressus Macrocarpa)

Then tomorrow I'll finish putting in the joists along the back of the house and then finish the return that runs along the side of the house.

There is an old tin fireplace on the outside of the wall that will have to stay there for the time being and so the last 3m of the return will have to be finished when I weatherboard the house in a year or so. I'll work around it for the time being.

Stop for Christmas and Boxing Day. Food, drinks, barbie and family and friends.

Hopefully nice weather.

Some pics of drainage layout and of deck progress.

Cheers, Su.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails drainage-pit-near-house.jpg   meeting-point-pipes-linear-drain.jpg   pipe-down-pipe-back-house.jpg   pipe-linear-drain-.jpg   pipe-storm-water.jpg  

return-side-deck.jpg   deck-return-side.jpg   deck-back.jpg  

3K Club Member

Got the rest of the joists in yesterday. Just have to finish the return along the side of the house and I'll be ready to lay the decking boards.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails deck-joists-.jpg  

Looks good Su.
    Where did you get your decking boards from?

3K Club Member

Thanks. We're pretty happy so far.

I got all the timber through Sustainable Cypress macrocarpa framing timber (Rod). I think he has several sources.

The structural timber came delivered by Jedwood Timber who turned out to be the mill that actually cut the stuff and they (Geoff Mabin & Sari Anderson) told me that they would be selling direct to public now and gave me their card. They are in Driffield. Just googled that and it's near Morwell. I have a phone number if you can't find it.

The decking I picked up myself from Ferntree Gully but that's not where it was milled. I'm not sure who milled it but it may have been Jedwood Timber.

It went through a moulding machine there. That was Premier Wood Machining 1A Dempster St.

I reckon try Jedwood Timber as I reckon it will be cheaper than I got it as it's direct from the mill. I paid $6.55LM for 135x21

3K Club Member

The weather has been great. Not a drop of rain in sight. Hat and sunscreen weather.

Been plodding away at the decking. Left the first couple of rows off as I will have to fit the boards around the posts and I'm trying to have the deck usable for New Year. Almost there. Will probably get it done by end of today, excepting the first couple of boards. Maybe they'll be done tomorrow if I don't have a break.

Even unfinished, we've already sat up there and had an afternoon beer. It's like being in the tree tops. Lovely.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pc290008.jpg   pc300012.jpg   pc290009.jpg   pc290010.jpg   pc290011.jpg  

3K Club Member

So Christmas and New Year have passed us by, yet again. Was very happy to have a few friends sitting on the deck, new years eve. It wasn't finished but the decking was down except for the edge pieces.

After a rest on new years day I got to finishing the edge of the decking which took a bit of fiddling about with the jig saw. I also constructed and finished the return that goes down the side of the house but only half way. I can't finish it all the way until I replace weather boards and remove the tin fireplace from the wall. Anyone interested in this for their own use? Would be awesome for a bush block campsite or something and even has a wood stove. Free to anyone who safely removes it with me.

Very satisfying to cut all the ends of the decking off.

I've been busy working on the handrails over the last few days. Filled the recycle bin with wood shavings and saw dust from the prepping of the timber. This took me a whole day.

The next day I checked out the posts for the bottom rail brackets. and fitted them and the rails.

Yesterday I cut off excess posts and notched out all my housing joins ready for the midrails and installed nearly all of those. Three cut and ready to go with a little adjustment to the housing joins.

I could get out there and finish them but today, I'm doing nothing. Rest before back to work on Monday.

Very happy with the results so far. I tend to try to hurry up a bit and get as much done as possible in a day and so sometimes my work isn't perfect but hey if I tried to do everything perfect, I'd still be putting the posts up. It has taken me about three weeks so far and I'd say another few days of bits and pieces should do it.

I'll go out in a minute and take some pics and attach them. I'll even show you my imperfect stuff.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails front-view-rails.jpg   return-side-rails.jpg   return-side-.jpg   handrails.jpg   housing-average.jpg  

housing-not-so-good.jpg   south-side-rails.jpg  

Nice one Su... that is going to be one awesome deck! I love the railing work, that's some fine work.

You gotta a pic of that fireplace? Doubt I'll need one, but it could be a nice upgrade for the shed. Perhaps.

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Smergen View Post
    Nice one Su... that is going to be one awesome deck! I love the railing work, that's some fine work.

You gotta a pic of that fireplace? Doubt I'll need one, but it could be a nice upgrade for the shed. Perhaps.
    Ta Smergen. After the top hand rail goes in, Nik my welding mate is going to help me frame up flat bar steel for the ballustrades. The flat bar will be on edge so as to create better view. Can't wait for that. Very excited to see how it will look.

I'll take a pic of fireplace this afternoon and post it. It's very rustic looking and would be a shame if no-one used it.

3K Club Member

Here's a couple of pics of the tin fireplace. Rustic, as I said.

When I get to replacing the weatherboards which ought to be sooner but probably a bit later, this would be a good time to remove the fireplace.

There's a wood stove in there too. I just pushed it back and took the doors off to get it flush inside the stud framing and plastered it in to the wall.

Should be a fun exercise getting it out...

That's also when I'll finish the return of the deck, up to the front of the house.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p1110013.jpg   p1110014.jpg  

Thats a decent fireplace right there Su... Bit too big for my needs though...

Rain continues to fill the 'Mud Mine'...

3K Club Member

Perhaps we should all be building swimming pools.

No worries with the fireplace. Someone will want it.

Old Chippy 6K

Deck's looking great - couple of comments: a) maybe it's just the pic angles but that top rail looks low to me (must be 1m minimum) and b) before you finally fix the top rail into those slots you should protect the end grain in the slots at the bottom especially. If it were me I'd actually put in a little bit of flashing too (even a piece of builders plastic or damp course would help - ) as that is an ideal spot for moisture to collect and cause problems. But really is a lovely deck.
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.

3K Club Member

Thanks Bloss. Pretty happy with how it looks and feels. Pretty sturdy and a great addition to such a small house.

The handrails will definitely be 1m. Wanted to put the top handrail on this weekend but after a whole week of rain, I'm wondering if I should let the joins dry out a bit before I do this?

I had thought about putting a piece of plastic damp proof course on top of each post and using exterior wood putty in any gaps.

What else could I use to seal them from the weather? The slots in the tall posts where the top hand rail goes - a bit of silicone on the end grain?

Old Chippy 6K

Silicone on the end grain works well, but care so that it doesn't stop any later protective finish from adhering. A bit of damp course just cut in so it sits up a little at the side and hangs a 3-4mm over the end under the rail (so it can't be seen too) allows water to be diverted from the joint. Depends what your final finish is - if it is paint then filling with an external filler, primer or a three coats of good primer-less acrylic will be good protection. If you plan on leaving it a natural timber colour using oils or similar then you will need more care and more regular re-coats too.
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.

3K Club Member

I will be oiling the deck when I get the chance. Hopefully not too far away. That makes me think that wood filler may not be the right thing to use to fill any of the vertical gaps where the midrail slots into the posts. Unsure if oiling will protect the filler. What do you think?

I did use some exterior grade silicone sealant on the tops of all the posts and the top of the housing joints where the hand rail will slot into the post.

Unfortunately my handrail is the same size as the post (125mm) and because the handrails and posts were not all uniform in size (one post was 135mm!!), some posts are going to have to be buzzed a little to avoid end grain of posts showing.

I forgot that I had ordered 125mm. I have no idea where my head was when I ordered the hand rail materials and thought they should be the same size as the posts. I really should have made them overhang. Perhaps down the track I will replace them when I'm short of something to do (yeah right). For now, I'll persist with them.

I did get the bracing done yesterday, both vertical and horizontal. With the vertical bracing, I crossed two bays instead of one, at each end and both sides. The horizontal bracing is a double x. I used tensioners on all of it and 30mm x 0.8mm strap as this was all that was left at the local hardware store and travelling an hour and half round trip into Ballarat is not worth the trouble just to get something slightly smaller and cheaper.

I may get to the handrails today but first I have to try and finish the side fence so that the dog can be left at home when we go to work. I'm sure she misses her own yard and wonders why she has to go next door.

Old Chippy 6K

Fillers and oils aren't always compatible - in fact usually not. But some are - so you need to read the info on the finish you intend using to see what fillers it can be used over.

3K Club Member

Cool. I'll do that when I buy some.

So I cracked on and built the side fence and blocked off the underneath side of the deck so the dog can stay home tomorrow.

Will cut the tops of posts next week and the gate, I cut down from a taller one which will need one piece welded on the top edge of the hinged part that bolts to the post.

I could only put big coach screws in the top and bottom hinge bracket due to the rails but put a bolt right through the middle hinge bracket. Hopefully wont get any sagging or pulling off the hinges. Hate that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails side-fence.jpg   side-gate.jpg  

Old Chippy 6K

Boy you don't mess about - that all looks great! Just looking back at your initial post - except I am no longer in the game (well getting paid for it anyway - still manage to do plenty of jobs in addition to my day job!), and I am not where you are, I'd take you onto my team!

3K Club Member

That's quite a compliment. Thank you.

I get to create work for myself here and that satisfies my urge to build but working with someone and being paid for it would be my ultimate choice. I hope that after I'm close to finished on my own house, this will happen.

I really need more experience on building from start to finish so that when I do an addition to the house, I will be able to do all of it, with confidence. That would be great.

In the mean time, cabinetry assembly is not too bad either.

3K Club Member

Yay! I can stop waking up, all through the night, thinking about the handrail and if I'm going to be able to pull it straight enough to work.

Yesterday I mucked about with clamps and the handrails to work out how much each post needed to be planed and sanded so that the top of each post was slightly smaller than the hand rail.

About 3mm average off each front and back of every post. The verandah posts I wanted flush with the handrail, which reminded me why I bought same size handrail as the posts. Sometimes I forget my own thought process.

The clamps worked fine and it's all in place with a few small gaps to fill, some due to joins pulling apart a little after clamping further along the handrail and some due to my typically rushed effort to get it all done before the heat took all the moisture out of me.

I am now wondering if the wood glue and sawdust method is compatible to oiling the deck and also will it seal the joins watertight? I suppose I will work that out when I buy the oil.

Will have to invite Nik over to measure up for the flat steel ballusters...and a beer of course.

Couple of handrail pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p1210015.jpg   p1210016.jpg   p1210017.jpg  

Old Chippy 6K

Wood glue & sawdust should work well enough so long as you used one of the cross linked polymer glues suitable for external use like Selleys Aquadhere Exterior .

3K Club Member

Thanks Bloss. I like the idea of using sawdust and glue. It gives a good match. Blends in better. The dust bag in my sander has an abundance of the stuff so I may as well use it.

Hey Su, been a little quiet on here... You found some more work or perhaps even taking a well deserved break?

3K Club Member

Hi Smergen.

I've been mostly keeping up with the grass which grows as soon as you turn your back. Pulled about thirty rocks out of the front lawn so I don't have to mow carefully around them anymore. When we moved in here, it took me about three days to mow the whole property and it didn't take long for me to totally trash one mower. Last week it took me about 4 hours. Still rough on the mower down the back of the block but much better.

Also been sidetracked by some bi-fold doors for someone else which keeps getting delayed by rain or some thing or other. It seems to want to rain on Fridays, my day off. (I do believe it's raining right now)

I've been trying to get a decent quote for the driveway to be asphalted. So far the quotes have varied quite a bit but one guy, Bob, may want to do a contra deal. A kitchen for him and a driveway for us. That would be fantastic and bring the cost down considerably.

I might go get some doors for our bedrooms today, if the rain stops. Can't transport them in the ute if it's raining. Or I may laze about and read and have an afternoon nap.
    Probably not though.

Cheers, Su

Apprentice (new member)

hi su, just read thru your thread with interest. You have really turned that place around!!! The drive does look fab, did Brian Williams do it? I only ask because I'm getting my old home (creswick) restumped atm, and they have arranged for B.W. to leave a big bin to take all my rubbish away! They all seem to know each other up here, like you say, a country thing!

I'll be watching your next project!
    my design blog:

my prop development blog:

3K Club Member

Hi Annie. Yes, Brian did do the excavation work here. Good guy. Not the cheapest but boy he can get the work done efficiently.

We are making arrangements with another local guy to asphalt the driveway. He will do my driveway and I'll build him a kitchen. This will bring the cost down for me considerably.

After this week I have a month off work (quiet period) or possibly more if I take on a project. They are pretty flexible with me. Looking for other work around to keep me occupied and cashed up. I wish I could use this time to weatherboard the house but finances say no to that at the moment.

I finally hung some sliding doors for the bedrooms last week. Solid timber veneer cheapies from B***. One of them is warped. Not happy but will leave it and replace it down the track.

I hope to clean and oil the deck by this weekend, weather permitting. Maybe paint the double doors and window at the back of the house.

We decided to give a clear finish to all other trim in the house as we are getting used to it and quite like it. Soon, I hope.

I also decided to dig the trench for drainage down the side of the property. Sometimes you have more time than money. About 80m all up and a couple of silt pits to go in as well as a linear drain. This will take care of water run off from the driveway, especially when it's asphalted. I have dug about 20m so far and will get back to it over the next couple of weeks.

Always a long list of things to do. Oh well.

Old Chippy 6K

Quote Originally Posted by shauck View Post
    He will do my driveway and I'll build him a kitchen.
    That's one of the things I miss about small town life . . .

3K Club Member

Yes. Small towns have their good points. I'm a bit unhappy with the manager at work though as he seems to be in two minds as to whether I can get the kitchen at cost price and run it through the CNC. He says the deal is for "not for profit" and I said I was told I could do one or two a year. (Just how many kitchens and bathrooms can one house need anyway). I also said, it would mean not having to borrow 8,000 bucks off my Dad. If he says no, I really have very little holding me there anymore. I'm keen to move on and get into a building oriented job.

3K Club Member

I asked the boss yesterday what his verdict was on the kitchen and he said yes, as a flat pack. Meaning I can't assemble at work. This is fine. The only down side is I don't have a brad nailer so will have to fiddle a bit more to get everything perfect and will have to set up a work bench somewhere. This is a big relief.

3K Club Member

Have been delayed by weather and a painting job starting today. The deck can wait another week for cleaning and oiling. I could have cleaned it but wouldn't have had time to oil it so...

I decided to start digging the trench instead and have spent about 6 hours so far and have dug about 45m of it. Not too hard to dig. Some small roots and rocks. I did come across one larger root that will have to be cut and when burning off weather is better, will cut that tree down (well, Bob my friend will cut it down).

I started the trench not at the beginning where silt pits and linear drain will be but further down as I still have to determine the height of these with the guy who'll do the asphalt. When I get to the end of the block, where the storm water drain is, I'll get him in for a quick chat and finish off the rest.

Apprentice (new member)

Very inspiring work Su. Have really enjoyed reading everything you have done so far. Keep the comments & pics coming. It gives me more courage to tackle even bigger jobs at my place (when my partner picks up a hammer, I get really nervous on what he's about to destroy)

3K Club Member

Thanks motleymanor. It does come down to a bit of bravery and a lot of researching. I reckon anyone can do it if they apply themselves.

Have been pretty busy working for other people lately and have booked myself a few days here to get the deck oiled. We gave it good scrub with napisan yesterday and a lot of gunk came up. I will probably oil it today or tomorrow and then finish digging the trench for storm water. Still waiting on the guy to asphalt the driveway. He's on country time

then I have a house to paint. That'll keep me busy for a few weeks.

3K Club Member

Just a quick post to show how our deck came up.

Cleaned it as per method in "cleaning and oiling deck" post, on Saturday morning. Freaked out because it was forecast for rain the next day which I didn't check on til after cleaning deck.

Seeing as it didn't rain on Sunday afternoon, I decided to ignore the further rain forecast for Monday and went out there in the morning and started oiling the deck.

I opened the tin (Intergrain, Nature's Timber Oil) and realised it was merbau tint. Had to waste the next two hours driving in to Ballarat and back to exchange it for natural.

Handrails and posts took the most time. It was an overcast day but not cold so pretty good conditions as long as it didn't rain. It took a couple of hours to get through the whole thing and Ten Litres almost finished one coat. Went to the local hardware store and bought another 4 Litres (all they had). Finished off what was left, had lunch and a beer and about three hours later did a second coat on top handrail, bearer faces and the decking boards. That used up the rest of the oil.

So, the timber is Golden Cypress and It was starting to silver up a bit and go quite blonde. You can see from the pic that shows the top of a verandah post that will be cut later when the time comes.

There was a little rain over night and it all seems to be fine. Water beading. No blotches or anything.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p3220014.jpg   p3220015.jpg   p3220016.jpg   p3220017.jpg   p3220018.jpg  

Last edited by shauck; 22nd Mar 2011 at 09:44 AM. Reason: error

3K Club Member

Finally reached the storm water pit with my trench. 60m of digging a bit at a time.

Amazed that I only have one significant tree root to cut through. That tree will probably have to be cut down in the future. The last 10m passed very close to two trees, one of which is quite big and no roots but lots of rock so had to break it all up as I went. Perhaps the rock discouraged roots??

Anyway, now I have to work out how to break into the pit. The trench is slightly lower than the height of the lid but I can deepen it to go through the concrete that surrounds the pit and come through the wall of it.

Any ideas? Maybe I'll get some help with this one.

Old Chippy 6K

Diamond hole cutter will do the job - but probably best to get someone in with the right gear.

3K Club Member

That's an idea. A friend of mine said to drill a circle of holes and tap it out. For this, we have the gear to do it. Sound good?

The Master's Apprentice Bedford's Avatar

That will do it Su, at the worst you might find a bit of reo.

Cut that out of the way with an angle grinder or bolt cutters if they'll reach it, if not you could use a hacksaw blade to start then break it off.
    Posted by John2b, And no, BEVs are not going to save the planet, which doesn't need saving anyway.

3K Club Member

Nice.

3K Club Member

We spent last Saturday putting in a garden bed above the front retaining wall. Bout time.

It was a bit of digging to loosen up the dirt and pull all the grass out.

Trip to the tip with the grass.

Then the exciting visit to Wombat nursery in Daylesford where we scanned all the plants and made a selection. We were going for mostly hardy and frost resistant with combo of pink and white flowers. Also mostly low growing plants.

Then took them home, went back out and got a half meter of soil and half meter of bush mulch. Mixed some stuff (forget what it's called) into the garden bed where it's a bit clayish.

Then in went the plants and on went the mulch.

Couldn't be happier. We both were so pleased to finally clean up the front a bit. I think it cost us about 750 bucks all up with plants, soil and mulch. A bargain.

On Sunday we planted three birch along the neighbouring fence line and an aspen in the front yard. That's in one of the photo's below. We originally were going to plant the birches in a group but realised the power line and the water pipe messed up any good configuration.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p4230018.jpg   p4230020.jpg   p4230017.jpg   p4230021.jpg  

3K Club Member

Finally had a guy come look at doing the asphalt for the driveway. Seems like the other guy who wanted a kitchen is a no go. Just never got back to me. Any way am happy it'll get done soon. Hopefully a couple of weeks.

So. Back to the drainage.

Spent Friday and Saturday constructing a sleeper path edge to go down the side of the house and return along the back edge of the deck. I'd like to be able to push a wheel barrow up here so most of the path, the sloping part, will be asphalt and where it meets the corner of the deck, it'll change to gravel and flatten out. This is where one of the few silt pits will be.

Then I dug the ditch that joins up the silt pit to the ditch that I had dug recently down the side of the property. Today I'll dig two more. One that runs under the path. and comes from a silt pit at the front corner of the house. Another ditch that comes down the right side of the path (from a silt pit in corner of driveway) behind the stepped sleepers. It's all been giving me a bit of a headache, trying to make sure I get everything at the right level and position.

Anyway. While I was doing this, Tanya was picking up rocks in part of the back yard, that had been there since the excavation of the driveway and all that blasted rain a while back which caused some erosion. It will make for easier mowing. She's also moving a pile of rocks (collected over time) down to the bottom boundary and building a low stacked stone wall. Had to put them somewhere and this seemed the best place. I think this pile will take her a while.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p4230011.jpg   p4230012.jpg   p4230009.jpg   p4230014.jpg   p4230013.jpg  

p4230015.jpg  

Great work Su... Love how it's coming together for you.

3K Club Member

Thanks Smergen. Good to see you're back to the wall, no pun intended. Reckon once you finish the first row, the rest is pretty quick.

I started joining up the pipes yesterday, starting from the downpipes at the back of the house. I ran a pipe along the ground, and back wall of the house, beneath the deck, to the side path and down to the silt pit. Then across the property to the long ditch that runs down the edge of the property. I misjudged how much concrete I needed for the silt pit and will have to wait for the hardware shop to open (holidays!) so I can finish that off but I'll go on and finish digging the ditch up to the front of the house today and dig for the silt pit. Then one more hole for the silt pit for the bottom corner of the driveway and a ditch joining up to pipes lower down. It's been fun joining all the pipes. Less than fun digging all the ditches tho.

I had a problem getting one of the elbow joins lined up properly. I had already glued the elbow in and then found I couldn't get the next pipe to join it. So I cut it off and grabbed another 45 deg elbow connected everything, turning the elbow to suit the situation so I knew it would work and then penciled a line on the join, like you would do when you mark timber for a biscuit join. This way I knew exactly the angle to connect everything up once glued. I love how the more stuff you do over time, you find that what applies to one situation can be useful in another.

Cutting the holes in the silt pit was easy, just using pilot holes and a jigsaw. Also used an angle grinder to cut the pipes at correct lengths. Tried a hack saw at first and found that too tedious. Hope I'm not wrecking my angle grinder with the plastic dust!!

Will do more today and then some pics of my first, hopefully not too bodgy plumbing. (bit bodgy cause

i'll not be putting gravel in the ditch)

3K Club Member

Got the ditch dug that runs up underneath the path to the top silt pit. Joined up the verandah down pipe and everything from lower down. Started to fill the ditch back up and then realised should take some pics of my pipes before I covered them up. (pic junkie, sorry) Took some care in filling the ditch by tamping down the soil either side of the pipe with the crow bar upside down and stamping with my boots in layers. had to leave the soil away from the pits until I can get more concrete. I think I might put some fly screen over the pits and under the grate, just to keep mosquitoes out. There will always be a little water in there.

The pit at front of house and where it runs down under path (partially covered up already)
    p4250001.jpgp4250002.jpg
    Where the back down pipes join the path

p4250003.jpg
    Back downpipes. Might have a prob to fix here as may leak if join too loose between the adapter and the 90mm pipe. Should have cut the flange off . Also galvanised down pipe only 60mm and nothing to fit so just sat deep inside 65mm fittings. Not crucial if a bit of overflow.
    p4250007.jpg
    The path silt pit
    p4250004.jpg
    Where pipe that leaves path silt pit, will join up to bottom of driveway. Not dug yet.
    p4250006.jpg
    Same pipe that goes off down the property to stormwater drain
    p4250005.jpg

Ok. that's just too much about drainage. I'll just quietly finish it now.
    Last edited by shauck; 26th Apr 2011 at 07:44 AM. Reason: word mix up

Quote Originally Posted by shauck View Post
    Thanks Smergen. Good to see you're back to the wall, no pun intended. Reckon once you finish the first row, the rest is pretty quick.
    Very nice pun. The wall is defintely up and running as my latest post shows. And I hope you are right with the first row, as it is now down...

And nice plumbing work indeed...

3K Club Member

Thank you. Time will tell if the plumbing is good. Yeah, the first row is a fiddle about to get it level. The rest just sit on top and the only thing that will make it take longer is if you bother to bolt them. Personally if I don't have to do something...

3K Club Member

Got all the trenches dug and pits concreted in. The hole through the storm water drain. All pipes glued and joined and backfilled some of the trenches. Just the 60m trench to backfill now. Oh boy.

3K Club Member

Back with a little more progress to report. Finished filling in those ditches ages ago. Not too hard a job in the end. The great news is.... the driveway has been asphalted!! woo hoo. It's so great to have it done. It only took 6 months! I would have liked the top part of the driveway to have been edged at the time but we just couldn't afford the extra so I'll have to think of a way to finish that later. Still deliberating how to go about it.

Won't be much to report for a while. Still building a house in Basalt, not far from here. Really enjoying that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p7110002.jpg   p7110003.jpg   p7110006.jpg   p7110001.jpg   p7110004.jpg  

p7110005.jpg  

Wow Su! Looks like a grand avenue now. You know..... There are no rules about doing two "go to whoas" ....
    Basalt? Building a house? Sounds interesting......

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast