ICF Build - Das Bunker - Brisbane

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Novice

Default ICF Build - Das Bunker - Brisbane

Hi all,

Thought I'd try to document our new ICF build in Brisbane. After a lot of procrastination, we decided to go ahead and demolish our existing house and build a more family friendly house from ICF. We love our location and the exisiting house was a nasty 80's build (balsa and sticky backed plastic) so a reno was really out of the question.
    During the project I will be using various trades and will project manage under my OB permit.(Have already built a 2 bed single story "granny flat" without the granny, on site from the same materials).

Not much of writer so pic thread mainly and will attempt to update weekly.I'll try to answer and queries through pm if it helps.

Week 1
    Started last Wednesday with House demolish,clean site,cut block, 360 cubes of fill off site to surrounding suburbs (thank you gumtree) . Quiet weekend, as I was nadged!. Monday saw profiles set, 20t excavator off site replaced by 5t with hammer to get the last of back wall and cut footings in hard ground. Bloody hard work as a trench monkey but getting ready for steelwork.So all in all a good start to what my wife calls a "fiddly job". Keep you posted next week.Cheers

imag2351.jpgimag2391.jpgdsc_4128.jpgimag2444.jpgimag2450.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Whodoesthat View Post
    Thought I'd try to document our new ICF build in Brisbane.
    G'day and welcome to the Forum.

Always good to see another ICF builder, I will be looking forward to watching your progress.
    What type of ICF are you using?
    Tools are good, more tools are better!

Novice

Thanks B_B, I'm using Ecoblock this time for the main house. I used Formcraft before for the 2 bedder, which is a bigger block but not readily available now on the East Coast.The Eco is local so supply is easy.Pros and cons for all the blocks out there...cheers

Novice

Hi again,
    Week 2 - Good week even though steel arrived a day late on Friday. Once the 4ton of rebar on site, we started tying 6m cages for the 700mm x 300mm footings. Monday was a biggy with all the starter bars intersected and tied in for the future walls. 16mm starters at 200mm centres for the back retaining wall and 12mm starters at 400mm centres for the remaining.
    Prior to the boom pump arriving on site all starters were braced with reo and dummy top bars to align for pour. Ordered 30m3 + concrete and finished the pour in three hours with the final tally being 31m3....slept well. Next on the list is to rough in the plumbing and form slab....can't wait to break out...cheers...a bit pic heavy but might be of interest to those with a t steel /concrete fetish

imag2483.jpgimag2472.jpg1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg11.jpg12.jpg13.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails imag2444.jpg  

Apprentice (new member)

Looking good.. Can never be too pic heavy

Nice solid looking set of foundations, nice when it isn't muddy and working on solid ground as well! Keep the pictures coming, love it.

3K Club Member

Yeah, I couldn't help but notice the dry conditions too. Jealous. I've been covered in red mud for the last few weeks on the job I'm doing.

Novice

Thanks for the interest,Teri Travel and Shauck, another couple of good progressive days, weather has been kind, but showers over weekend. I planned the build for this time of year as I built the 2 bedder in February.....rain, rain,,,more rain,,,,whodoesthat! and it's as hot as Hades. So what have we achieved over the last couple of days. Finished footing and cut slab beams 450 deep x 350mm wide...all in hard as ground. Plumbing got signed off without a hitch.Hired a tipper to run the last of the fill offsite which took up most of Thursday. Picked up a littera digger (Boxer) and pulled in 25 cubes of scalp (ex tunnel fines and road base) to build up the slab. Smashed it all today and will start on boxing the slab with shuttering over the weekend. Mesh up the beams, slab reo and placcy before looking to pour early to mid week. Can't wait!!!
    Words of wisdom for the week: Don't fill your petrol machines with diesel......... causes to much angst Cheers
    8-3.jpg8-1.jpg8-17.jpg8-8.jpg8-7.jpg8-11.jpg8-12.jpg8-13.jpg8-14.jpg8-15.jpg8-16.jpg

Looking good, keep the pictures coming.
    I am also envious of the dry weather, last week was my first dry one in a couple of months.
    Good luck with the slab pour.

Novice

Thanks Belair. Finally ready for the pour after a lot of prep (a lot more than I had anticipated) The slab construction is substantial to say the least and I'm confident it will see me out and beyond. We have caged the slab beams and tied in the footing starters. The perimeter blocks were cut down to 200mm internal 300mm external. These have been shuttered and braced in readiness. All internal openings have been measured and excess starter bars folded back into the slab reo. Check,check and check again. Public holiday today and crew / boom pump only available Friday for the pour. Big rain forecast for the weekend, so hopefully get the job done in time.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails imag2603.jpg   imag2605.jpg   imag2617.jpg   imag2625.jpg   imag2626.jpg  

imag2634.jpg   imag2635.jpg   imag2636.jpg   imag2639.jpg   imag2643.jpg  

Looking good mate, too bad the last lot of photos didn't come up right... did you want to double check the post!?

Cheers

Novice

Thanks Armers, I think it's sorted...cheers

Sorted... Cheers Sunshine

Why such a hardcore slab, poor ground?

Novice

Ground is firm as, needed breaker for footings. Engineers required it as whole house is concrete ,suspended slab 1st floor with 2nd suspended slab/concrete roof...with potential to go up .......a further 32 floors!

Holy 30 floors batman! Nothing like being built like a brick sheethouse!

Ground is firm as, needed breaker for footings. Engineers required it as whole house is concrete ,suspended slab 1st floor with 2nd suspended slab/concrete roof...with potential to go up .......a further 32 floors!
    Now I understand the bunker title!! Great work so far keep the updates coming.

Novice

What a day, weather held with only a light shower this morning. Heavy rain event still forecast for the weekend...so it will be good for the slab. Seven trucks brought in a total of 39.2 cubes of concrete. Calling the last truck quantity is a bit nerve racking...am I under/over...but as the pic shows we had half a dozen shovel fulls left.... Decided to up the spec of the concrete from 25mpa to 32mpa, as the suspended slab will be the same. So we are officially out of the ground... . Blocks arrive Monday and survey for internal walls.Should be well into block walls by the end of next week........Cheers

imag2650.jpgimag2652.jpgimag2660.jpgimag2662.jpgimag2667.jpgimag2672.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails imag2672.jpg  

Golden Member

workshop, garage and wine cellar. That sounds like a perfect house to me!

In that order too!

Novice

Cheers Choc / Armers. Priority calls!
    Weather was as predicted...wet which was perfect for the slab. The rampart held up with the 55mm of rain o/night....any more....mmmm. We cleaned / removed the slab shutters this morning and blocks arrived soon after. Internal walls surveyed and pinned. Built a couple of hundred blocks in readiness for tracks tomorrow and hopefully lay first blocks.

18-8.jpgimag2680.jpgimag2679.jpgimag2684.jpgimag2692.jpgimag2695.jpg

Novice

Rain stopped play today, so an update. A busy few days saw the track for the block being set out and fixed. We have completed the first 2 courses, which seemed slow going , as they are double tied and double reo at 200 centres for the retaining back wall. Braces are nearly up and fixed, so we expect a clear run for the remaining 6 courses.If we can achieve 3 courses each day and factoring in the fiddly lintel reinforcement, we should pour the ground floor but next weekend. A couple of minor modifications have been made,which are non structural, with the removal of an internal centre wall in the entrance corridor.Having stared at plans for an eternity,it is only when lay the first blocks that you get a true sense of scale.........Cheers

imag2711.jpgimag2714.jpgimag2715.jpgimag2718.jpgimag2719.jpgimag2721.jpgimag2722.jpgimag2725.jpgimag2728.jpg

Thanks for the updates and pics, very cool.

How does the eco-block compare with block and what was your thinking around choosing it?

Novice

Hi DuckC and thanks for the interest.Looked at all the blocks,Formcraft,Zego,Thermacell and Eco. I used Formcraft before but now based in WA so shipping was an issue/expense.Went with Eco as it's local and supply is simple, we needed extra connectors and had them the same day.I think all systems have their pros and cons. The Eco is a sturdy block with 65mm of poly each side, downside is they have 18 connectors per block, assembly is 90 seconds ea when you get the routine and do 2 at a time. The braces can be an issue, as some blocks will only let you use their bracing system etc....so reasonably happy with what I have.

How does the price compare to block? I guess you're cutting down a fair bit in labour costs as getting the foam in looks pretty straight forward.
    The braces do look a bit piddly. Do you know what pour heights you can get before the foam starts blowing out?

Novice

Hi all, a couple of update pics. Lost a few days to weather but have caught up over the last week. Blocks went up quickly enough, then started the fiddly steel work. A fair bit of prep in the lintels with 8mm x 800mm ligs spaced at 200mm centres. Retaining wall at back also at 200mm centres in 16mm.Another 100 slab ties to fix before pour Monday before the pump arrives and commence pouring the walls with 150 slump of 25mpa core-crete.All windows and openings have been shuttered, the garage being the most diifficult but has come up well.All T joins have been braced with "bandaids" for added strength.
    DC - More expensive than block work but don't have the time / expense of battening out the walls for gyprock and insulation.We can pour to 3m with a metre sweep each lap.

imag2732.jpgimag2733.jpgimag2736.jpgimag2737.jpgimag2741.jpgimag2766.jpgimag2768.jpgimag2775.jpgimag2777.jpgimag2782.jpgimag2787.jpgimag2788.jpgimag2792.jpgimag2794.jpg

Apprentice (new member)

Hi Whodoesthat
    I build ICF homes, and You have chosen the best system on the market Eco - Block.
    I suppose you bought all of your supplies from Eco-ICF supplies at palm woods ( the main distributor for Queensland ) I've found from experience David has the Only fully integrated system in Australia.
    They have all of the accessories to make the job easy with special ligatures for over windows, doors and Beams, special window and door EPS mouldings , plus more and then there's "eskydeck" the unique insulated suspended floor system - no formworkers required !!!!
    As far as the other systems go they are all good but some you have to fabricate corners etc I've found with the Eco-block ( Eco-ICF builders) you get the complete package.
    with the owner being a builder himself you get it from a builders perspective and don't get the bull from salesmen.
    with Eco-block you can easily get category 1 cyclonic rating, and a 180/180/180 fire rating which most of the the others can's give.
    All in all It's a better way to build ... good on you
    enjoying watching your build photo's
    Steve
    Last edited by witheng; 11th Sep 2014 at 05:35 PM. Reason: added to

Quote Originally Posted by witheng View Post
    Hi Whodoesthat
    I build ICF homes, and You have chosen the best system on the market Eco - Block.
    I suppose you bought all of your supplies from Eco-ICF supplies at palm woods ( the main distributor for Queensland ) I've found from experience David has the Only fully integrated system in Australia.
    They have all of the accessories to make the job easy with special ligatures for over windows, doors and Beams, special window and door EPS mouldings , plus more and then there's "eskydeck" the unique insulated suspended floor system - no formworkers required !!!!
    As far as the other systems go they are all good but some you have to fabricate corners etc I've found with the Eco-block ( Eco-ICF builders) you get the complete package.
    with the owner being a builder himself you get it from a builders perspective and don't get the bull from salesmen.
    with Eco-block you can easily get category 1 cyclonic rating, and a 180/180/180 fire rating which most of the the others can's give.
    All in all It's a better way to build ... good on you
    enjoying watching your build photo's
    Steve
    You really love it?

How did the wall pour go?

Yeah keen to see! Its been going so well!

Novice

Hi all and sorry for the late update. We poured the walls which went well and then I had to stop the job while I went to work for 5 weeks. Once back we got stuck back in, braced the acrow towers (over did it...message to self ...I'm not twenty anymore) and took delivery of the eskydeck beams and had the suspended slab up.....taking a further 43m3 of concrete ! Very pleased with the layout downstaris and the mancave is cavernous...... This was completed last week and Monday saw us putting the upper floor walls in place. It's been a hell of a busy week compounded by near evil temperatures throughout, which got progressively worse as the walls went up, and sun reflected back off the blocks. So we only have a lintel to construct Monday and plan to pour mid week. The "lid" is expected for delivery next Friday so will spend the weekend making up the beams before starting final prep for back propping below , to move the towers (God forbid) to the upper slab. Keep you posted....Cheers

1.jpg2.jpgimag2877.jpgimag2881.jpgimag2883.jpgimag2884.jpgimag2886.jpgimag2888.jpgimag2891.jpgimag2893.jpgimag2896.jpgimag2897.jpgimag2899.jpgimag2901.jpgimag2902.jpgimag2916.jpgimag2918.jpgimag2920.jpgimag2923.jpgimag2924.jpgimag2925.jpgimag2926.jpgimag2931.jpgimag2948.jpgimag2950.jpgimag2952.jpgimg_3552.jpgimg_3605.jpgimg_3621.jpg

droolin' over this!

Novice

So nearly ready for the pour Thursday, with lintels finished today and vertical steel placed in position for next suspended slab (roof) and 400mm parapet. Straighten and plum the braces and all set to go.

imag2953.jpgimag2954.jpgimag2955.jpgimag2958.jpgimag2960.jpgimag2961.jpgimag2962.jpgimag2963.jpgimag2965.jpgimag2968.jpg

Looking good mate... Also its good to see the wine flowing already!

Cheers!

Novice

Thanks Armers, well spotted.... the pour eventually went well yesterday after a few delays with the pump.Six trucks rolled over the four hours for the pour, with 30m3 of 32 Mpa coreflow being the final tally. Back propping the suspended slab today and acrow towers down ready for lifting to upper story next week. Will spend the weekend filling the eskybeams with inserts in readiness for starting the concrete "lid". Waiting on window quotes etc but with countdown to the loopy season already upon us, may not get till January....we'll see. Cheers

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails imag2973.jpg   imag2976.jpg   imag2979.jpg   imag2983.jpg   imag2985.jpg  

imag2986.jpg   imag2992.jpg   imag2995.jpg   imag2996.jpg  

Great stuff, nothing like having solid walls at the end of the day.
    Hopefully my last wall pour wont be that far away.

Novice

Thanks B_B, couldn't agree more, wall thumping is my fave pastime which always brings a smile to my chops. Good luck with your pour. Spent yesterday back propping and wow does the space open up with the acrow towers pulled out! Beams for roof failed to show so weekend will be site cleaning and brace removal. Windows got measured and will be delivered pre xmas just gotta hock my first born to pay for them.......Cheers
    imag3000.jpgimag3005.jpgimag3010.jpgimag3001.jpgimag3008.jpgimag3016.jpgimag3017.jpgimag3019.jpgimag3023.jpg

Apprentice (new member)

The Eskydeck flooring looks good

Default How cheap is that

I have ICF blocks. (Insulated Concrete Forms). Any amount for sale.
    Shipped to any country worldwide.

Size: 50” long (127cm), 10” high (25.5cm) and 6” (15cm) wide
    (with a nominal concrete core of 4” (10cm) ).

It is the exact equivalent of 4 CMUs (concrete masonry unit) in area and only weighs 1.25 pounds.
    The forms are stacked without mortar and are interlocked like a Lego Set into which reinforced concrete is placed, creating a wall and foundation with a fraction of the labor of conventional CMU. Please email with details of quantity needed. Country to be delivered and target price to: garyjmcneish@gmail.com

Novice

Quick update - Weekend busy stripping braces and cleanup. Crane early today to lift the acrow props up and day assembling. A couple more timber props and good to go. Beams arrived on site and awaiting inserts, so the first of them should be up in position by tomorrow with any luck....
    imag3032.jpgimag3040.jpgimag3042.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails imag3035.jpg  

Novice

The rest of this week saw the upper propping and lintel form work/staging. All towers were levelled and cross members put in situ. Easky beams finally arrived and spent a day packing the inserts followed by the unenviable task of manually handling them to roof height.Steel up in readiness for placing into the beams as we go. Half the beams and top hats were completed with the balance due for placement Monday.....tooooo hot this weekend to do much as were expecting a G20 40+degrees.......A couple of pics...Cheers
    imag3044.jpgimag3046.jpgimag3051.jpgimag3053.jpgimag3055.jpgimag3057.jpgimag3059.jpgimag3063.jpgimag3067.jpgimag3068.jpgimag3071.jpgimag3077.jpgimag3078.jpgimag3084.jpgimag3089.jpgimag3094.jpgimag3096.jpg

Apprentice (new member)

surprised you're not pouring the walls and esky deck in one pour you get a stronger bond

Wow, looks good. And massive. What do the neighbours think ? From a carpenters perspective I can't think of a more complicated or expensive way to build a house. Each to their own though. Enjoy the heat

Quote Originally Posted by ringtail View Post
    Wow, looks good. And massive. What do the neighbours think ? From a carpenters perspective I can't think of a more complicated or expensive way to build a house. Each to their own though. Enjoy the heat
    Something I am wondering about too, but am sure it will be an awesome house.

Apprentice (new member)

It's NOT complicated to build it's big boys Lego.
    If built properly the cost is no more than a rendered brick veneer house and needs a lot less maintenance
    Brick veneer is NOT in the same ball park though
    with ICF , The insulation benefits are enormous up to 80% heating and cooling saving, sound insulation is enormous, fire rating is 180 / 180 / 180 ( 3 hour), easily built to category class ONE cyclonic , PLUS , PLUS, PLUS ....
    Good on Ya whodoesthat for thinking outside the sheep mentality of stick frame and building a QUALITY HOME out of a SUPERIOR Product.
    ICF has been around in the USA, Canada and Europe for over 30 years As I've always said Australia is 20 plus years behind the rest of the world.
    in the USA and Canada... Schools, high rise and public buildings are made from ICF ..

check out : ICF Builder Magazine - The information source for residential and commercial ICF contractors and see what can be done with ICF

Steve

4K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by witheng View Post
    It's NOT complicated to build it's big boys Lego.
    If built properly the cost is no more than a rendered brick veneer house and needs a lot less maintenance
    Brick veneer is NOT in the same ball park though
    with ICF , The insulation benefits are enormous up to 80% heating and cooling saving, sound insulation is enormous, fire rating is 180 / 180 / 180 ( 3 hour), easily built to category class ONE cyclonic , PLUS , PLUS, PLUS ....
    Good on Ya whodoesthat for thinking outside the sheep mentality of stick frame and building a QUALITY HOME out of a SUPERIOR Product.
    ICF has been around in the USA, Canada and Europe for over 30 years As I've always said Australia is 20 plus years behind the rest of the world.
    in the USA and Canada... Schools, high rise and public buildings are made from ICF ..

check out : ICF Builder Magazine - The information source for residential and commercial ICF contractors and see what can be done with ICF

Steve
    From my own observations, there are a couple of defects that can occur after a couple of years which are, some horizontal cracking at the pour points, this allows moisture to enter & exit & on occasion can cause rust / lime stains on the surface finishes & cause bubbling of paint.
    regards inter

Whoa, no need to get defensive.I can't stand brick veneer or most modern housing construction methods full stop. They are all 100% wrong for the sub tropics IMO. But as I said, each to their own

Novice

Hi, any chance of providing some more detail regarding the 'esky beams' or whatever the suspended slab floor system is called? is there a link to some more detail or something?
    thanks.

Novice

Well just got home after 5 weeks away and the final roof pour/shell is complete. Back propping removed and the space has really opened up. Lintels have come out well and all is good. Really glad I went with the the skylight openings they have come out really well and throws some good light down the stairwell. Windows arrive today and will be stored until the loopy season is over. Can't see a great deal happening over the break but should be full steam in New Year. Have a good Xmas.A couple of pics.
    Before anyone asks, the roof parapet is sealed to hold water for full cure.This has worked well to minimise shrinkage cracks, with none evident at the mo.
    Shedhead - David Kuhnert - Likes a chat and will answer all q's you have. Just goog eskydeck. Cheers

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails imag3145.jpg   imag3153.jpg   imag3143.jpg   imag3140.jpg   imag3137.jpg  

imag3136.jpg   imag3135.jpg   imag3134.jpg   imag3132.jpg   imag3128.jpg  

imag3126.jpg   imag3123.jpg   imag3119.jpg  

Wow wow wow and wow

Did I mention "wow"?

Accident free since yesterday

Novice

Shedhead - David Kuhnert - Likes a chat and will answer all q's you have. Just goog eskydeck. Cheers
    thanks Mate. Will do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast