ICF house build in Adelaide

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

A jig was used to rough out the pockets for the rafters to sit in. Not having a datum surface to work off made working on the beam a time consuming process as all measurements had to be taken back to a center line and level.

Rafter pockets roughed in and ready for chiseling out for each individual rafter size and orientation.

With all the pockets cut another jig was used to help drill the holes through the beam for the threaded rod which will secure the rafters. A spade bit on the end of a drill extension worked very well and I was happy with the performance of the Irwin Speedbor Blue Groove spade bit in the hard timber.

Due to the bow in the beam, each rafter is a different length and any error in length will, in turn, affect the height of the rafter at the wall/lintel end.
    At the moment all rafters have been cut using theoretical measurements with a little allowance on the horizontal seat for fine tuning as they go up.

The plumb cut of the rafter. At least I have the top face of the rafters as a datum.

The horizontal seat cut with a little allowance for adjustment. As the rafters do not have parallel sides the seat will have to be referenced to the top face and finished with the router and another jig.

How things looked before the beam went up.

An extension was needed for the gantry to get the extra height for lifting the beam into its brackets. No paint for this one as it only needed to be used once.

Gantry moved into position, checking clearances, prior to lifting the beam.

Beam moved into position on the scissor lift in preparation for raising.

Ready to lift. I needed to use the 1 tonne chain block at the start and then take over with the 2 tonne as they both only have a 3 m lift.
    Tools are good, more tools are better!

Half way, changed over to the 2 tonne block. Even though there was enough weight in the gantry to balance out the cantilever of the lifting point I put a couple of big concrete counterweights on the outer edge.

Full height ready to be swung round over the brackets.

In place and ready to crack open the champagne. The beam was supposed to drop into the brackets but I didn't take into account of the bow and it was a little tight. Noting some grease and some gentle persuasion with a sledge hammer couldn't fix. Well it isn't supposed to come out anyway.

With the gantry out of the lounge room and the beam wrapped up, the stacker door steel lintel could be put back into position. There is only just enough room on the balcony for the gantry and not enough clearance to allow me to lift the lintel with the cantilever (and I needed to cut off the height extension anyway) so I opted to use the winch crane. I will use this to lift the rafters so it needed to be set up anyway.

I use my pallet lifter to move it around and in this instance I am using the 1 tonne chain block rather than take the winch off the girder trolly.

Lintel in position and ready to lift. ...... the first time. I was a little short on lift height and had to raise the top section to give me some more clearance.

Telescopic section raised and ready to lift again. .... for the second time. The lintel had been up before but this was prior to pouring the upper level suspended slab. With the slab in place, the lintel was now a little long on one end, so down again and a bit cut off the end.

Third time and all was good. Laser leveled and ready to grout into position.

Offending end that needed cutting, grouted in.

With the beam in place and bolted through the bracket, the chimney could be built up another two courses and filled up to the top of the bracket. A bit of shuttering was needed here as the blocks could not be fitted right up to the bracket.

Beam and lintel up ready for some more chimney building to get it to full upper level ICF wall height.

While all the beam and rafter work was going on, the structural insulating panels SIP's for the lounge ceiling/roof structure were also being constructed.
    Thanks to Matt Callisto and the boys at Magtech, 8 mm magnesium oxide board (mgo), 85 mm of Neopor EPS and 12 mm of mgo were laminated together into 12 panels 3900 x 1200

The panels at Magtech ready to be cut to width and have a timber reinforcing edge fixed down each side. Due to the length, there is a join in the mgo board and the EPS core, which although staggered, needed to be strengthened for ease of handling and to increase the compressive strength along the edges where the counter battens will be fixed.

I then laminated 6mm hoop pine plywood to the 8mm mgo board side which will form the finished ceiling to the lounge.

The first 6 panels at the block ready to me moved inside for sanding and sealing prior to be lifted onto the rafters. The panels are over length at the moment but the extra length will form eaves until cut off when the roof structure is completed. The 200 mm strips of ply (overhanging the panel) have been trimmed back and sit above the lintel so wont be seen. They are only there to keep the panels a consistent thickness.

The panels are about 130kg or so and will need a bit of clever lifting to get them into position without damaging the ply ceiling surface.
    Originally I was going to paint on a waterproof membrane to the top mgo board surface to keep the rain out until the roof goes on but at a cost of near $1000 to do the job properly a tarp has been purchased to do the job instead.

Hows yours going Belairboy!?

Hows yours going Belairboy!?
    Things have been going reasonably well the last couple of weeks except for a surprise water bill of $600 for 150kl water usage

My water usage is always very low (being a building site) and so I made a quick trip back to the block and sure enough the meter was slowly ticking over .... bugger .... a leak. I turned the water off at the meter but the reading was much higher than on the bill. On closer inspection of the bill, I discovered the reading was taken 6 weeks prior to the bill being issued, another 300kl lost since then This is going to mean another $1000 for water use when the next bill arrives. I am very frustrated that SA Water had a reading with excessive and uncharacteristically high usage but did not let me know for 6 weeks.

I was also shocked at the thought of my unbroken run of 40mm blueline from the meter to the house having a leak. A continuous piece of pipe was used and carefully bedded in sand for the very purpose of never having to see it again. It has been in the ground for over 3 years so why a sudden leak and where in the nearly 200m of pipe was the problem? The water appeared to be coming to the surface where the trench left the driveway dropped down a metre or so and headed towards the boundary. I dug a test hole here and sure enough the bedding sand was running with water.
    The thought of having to dig up the drive looking for the leak was not a happy one but I dug another hole about 8m up the drive at a point I knew the pipe would be. Amazingly the sand was dry here so I felt confident I had just narrowed the search down to a short section. The lower hole was enlarged into a trench following the pipe and within 2m I had found the leak. Small mercy I guess.

A small pinhole had formed in a dent under the pipe. The only thing we can attribute it to is a damaged point on the pipe, maybe done with a forklift tine when it was being unloaded at some time, weakening the pipe and then a moment of higher pressure or hydraulic shock causing the hole to form. Both my plumber and myself must have missed it when the pipe was being laid.

It was decided to use a welded joint instead of a mechanical one as the cost to hire the welding unit was minimal and I definitely didn't want to see the pipe again. The two electrodes on top of the fitting attach to cables from the welding unit which supplies the 40V for 60 seconds as specified on the coupling. An element in the fitting melts the pipe to the fitting and a permanent joint is formed.

While I had the plumber and the pipe welding unit on site, I used another welded fitting at the house main supply ball valve and finally mounted the water manifold (made about 6 months ago) to the wall under the house. The REHAU pipe leaving the manifold is the temporary supply the toilet and sink.

I have found out that I can claim 50% of 300kl once in 10 years for a water leak so I am going to try and get $500 knocked off my next bill.

I have had a permit to burn on my property for the last few weeks so have been busy clearing up prior to the bush fire season.
    Some progress has been made on the house however and the chimney is now up to the upper level wall height.

Course 6 wall reo taken through the chimney to tie the two together.

The walls adjacent to the chimney are stacked to full height (9 courses, 2.7m) and the bond beam reinforcing is in place.
    I will place another two courses of blocks on the chimney to tie in the top reo leaving another 2m left to do after the upper level walls have been poured. I also need to extend the N16 corner reo up to full chimney height, just as it was getting easy to thread the blocks on too.

All the upper level braces are in place and fixed down, along with the work platform. The edge form shutters for the upper level floor slab have also been stripped off as I needed the form ply for the platforms.

The third course horizontal reinforcing in place around the ensuite ready for more blocks.

A couple more days with the brush cutter and most of the pre-summer cleanup will be taken care of. A day to get the chimney sorted and I will be back to ICF block laying to complete the upper level walls. There are 10 ICF lintels to support and one steel lintel over the Juliet balcony, so it is not just a matter of "lego" block stacking, unfortunately.
    Last edited by Belair_Boy; 12th Oct 2014 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Another photo added

Quote Originally Posted by sundancewfs View Post
    That's it! I'm buying a bigger welder!

Managed to pick up a CIGWELD TRANSMIG 330 at auction the other week for $200.
    It didn't have a gun but I borrowed my mates and it welds like a dream.
    Just need to get a new gun for it and I will be in business.
    The wiring diagram inside the cover has deteriorated, so if anyone has the same machine I would really appreciate a copy for future reference.

What a score ! I have a transmig 250 so I'm not sure if the diagrams would be applicable. Mine also has no remote feed but it might be worth a look

.... it might be worth a look
    Thanks Ringtail

Probably not too much difference between the 250 and 330 when it come to the actual welder if it has the course and fine voltage step selectors.
    Not really much to them when you look inside but it may come in useful if I ever have any problems.
    The remote wire feed has one small circuit board which would be a swap over if things went wrong but I am yet to use the stitch and spot functions so don't know if it would even be an issue.

I just need to decide on a gun now and where the law of diminishing returns sets in.

Hi Belair_Boy,
    What sort of turn buckles did you use for the braces? I'm building an ICF house in a suburb of Melbourne and I would love to build ~ 20-30 braces. Just not sure what sort of turnbuckle or tilt prop to use for adjustment.

What sort of turn buckles did you use for the braces?
    G'day bratuliviu
    I didn't use a turn buckle for the brace adjustment but used a differential thread arrangement.
    A turnbuckle uses a right and left hand thread to lengthen (or shorten) when turned where as the differential thread arrangement only uses right hand threads. I didn't want to use a turnbuckle as they are more expensive than the threaded rod I used and the threads can be rather sloppy.
    By using two right hand threads but of different pitches turning one way has a lengthening effect and turning the other has a shortening one.
    I used standard galvanised threaded rod with a M20 (with a 2.5 mm pitch) on one end and a M16 (with a 2mm pitch) on the other. Thus one turn of the brace strut move the M20 end 2.5mm but the M16 end 2mm, resulting in a 0.5mm difference (either shorter or longer depending on the direction of turn).
    You have the effect of a fine pitch thread without the associated problems, eg keeping them clean and working on a building site.
    The brace strut has a M20 nut welded on one end and a M16 on the other so very cheep to make.
    I hope I have explained the principle clearly enough but if not I can draw a picture

Crap, I was meant to get you a photo of the transmig wiring. Sorry about that. ASAP, promise.

No rush Ringtail, whenever is convenient.

I bought a gun for the welder and put it through its paces making up a trolly to help move a lathe I scored on gumtree.

The trolly ready to position under the lathe, no time to paint this one. The wheels are the ones I used on my gantry.

Ramps made from some UB offcuts bolted to the trailer. The lathe is bolted to the trolly and it was pulled up using my one tonne chain block.

To take the lathe off the trailer I was able to lift it complete with trolly using my 2 tonne chain block and the girder trolly suspended from the beam above the workshop doorway. Lift, drive the trailer out and then lower to the ground, perfect balance being achieved by moving the saddle. The lathe weighs about 1200kg but it was a very painless and straightforward move.

Once off the trailer it was rolled into its new home.
    This is not the final position for the lathe but a convenient clear spot for the moment.
    Now all I have to do is resist playing with it rather than building the house.

Bit of a first this last month, had a kangaroo on the block for a few day. I have heard of them being around from time to time but this is the first time I have actually seen one.

Roo resting on the North slope.

While on animals, I have had a kookaburra problem for the first time. In the past I have had the occasional lorikeet nibbling on the top of an ICF block but no real damage done. However this spring a kookaburra has been pecking large holes in the polystyrene.

After several days of filling in the holes just to find them pecked out again shortly after (and having the kookaburras laugh at me while doing it) I gave up. They can only get as far as the concrete core so not much use for nesting but I thought that if that was what they were trying to do then I would help out.

I made up a kookaburra box and in the last week there has been a resident. I have not had any more hole made but just hope that having resident kookaburras is not going to result in more damage. The render can't come soon enough.

One of the less destructive locals just off the west balcony.

Back to the build.

The chimney is now filled to above the ICF finished wall height with only another two meters to the top. I have stopped here as I will need scaffolding on the upper level to get the blocks over the corner reinforcing bars and the bracing is in the way at the moment.

All walls are stacked to course eight and only the lintel/bondbeam course to go. I have been making supports for the door and window lintels with only a few more to go.

In this case I was not happy with the position of the course six reinforcing and have tied it into position through a joint in the blocks.
    I will just cut off the tie wire once the concrete has been poured.

Upper level walls stacked to course 8. Note the gantry up on blocks, the wheels having been recycled.

All these window have the lintel supports in place but I haven't taken photos yet due to the recent wet weather.

One of the lintel supports being made. I was getting frustrated with the 90 x 45 pine not being straight enough and having sufficient twist that the resultant "box" was also twisted. To remedy the situation I have been running the pine through the saw to effectively plane it all round and make it nice and straight without any twist. The dimension of the pine is not critical so making it a bit smaller is of no consequence. I am probably going to more effort than required again but I like things to be right and It keeps me sane when trying to fit it in position. Some would say sanity left when I decided to embark on such a large owner build in the first place.

More photos to come when the sun is out.

Love the kooka nest!

Just went downstairs to take a pic of the welder. Guess what? There is nothing under the hood.

Thanks Ringtail, not to worry, must have gone the same way as mine. Hopefully I will never need it.

Default Bracing

As I have been asked if I can provide more details of my braces here are a few pictures of the thread sections.
    The front posts (against the ICF) are 75 x 50 x 2.5 Duragal RHS and the rear posts are 50 x 50 x 1.6 Duragal SHS
    The top and bottom angles are 50 x 50 x 3 EA and the whole assembly put together with M12 galv bolts.
    The brace tube is 33.7 OD x 2.6 galvanised CHS

The top fork bracket with M16 thread rod

Bottom bracket M20 threaded rod. This is a separate fixing for use with front posts alone, corner braces or miscellaneous bracing applications.
    If I was making these again I would move the vertical plates to the front edge of the base plate, giving access to the anchor screw without having to remove the brace bolt.

Top fork bracket for use with front posts alone and other shutter bracing applications.
    The trapezoidal bracket is just cut from a 50 x 50 SHS and can be screwed to timber or tek screwed to metal (as shown here).

Here are a couple of photos of the lintel supports I have been working on.

Apprentice (new member)

How's the build coming along? Outstanding attention to detail!!!!! ).

G'day Bigmaxy
    Thanks for the positive comment. The build is coming along well but I have been slack (read very slack) in posting on the forum.
    I am about to upload some more photos and bring everyone up to date with my build over the next few days.

Apprentice (new member)

Hi Belair_boy
    How is the build going.

Hey BB - any updates? Hungry for more pix!!

Apprentice (new member)

18th Dec 2015 11:41 AM last time on forum

Apprentice (new member)

Hi Belair_Boy

It has been a while. The build should look great now.

RONCA

enjoyed looking through this again. looking forward to more updates.

Have emailed BB, hope he comes back.

Cheers Phild01. let's hope.

Not dead yet

yay. good to hear.
    I get the same messages from my sister when she travels. mum said, let us now you're ok. so she just sends "Not dead yet".

We are waiting with bated breath for an update!

you must be typing one hell of an update sir

Senior Stinkologist Sir Stinkalot's Avatar

I think that I may have driven past today .... unfortunately Photobucket has basically destroyed the effort put into this thread.
    Licence to drill!

Is it finished?

Default ICF house build in Adelaide

Not 100% sure it was the same house. I was running off memory of the photos I had seen some time ago in this thread. I was hoping to look through again to see if it was the same.

If it was the same house it appeared to be occupied- not sure about finished
    Licence to drill!

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Stinkalot View Post
    I think that I may have driven past today .... unfortunately Photobucket has basically destroyed the effort put into this thread.
    All of the photos are still visible to me.

This is worse than waiting for the next series of Game of Thrones to air!!!

Photobucket restores photos “taken hostage,” hopes to lure back customers with cheaper plans after last year’s $399 debacle

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/05/17/photobucket-image-hosting-plans/

http://www.techrockies.com/photobuck...s-0074931.html

Looks like a week later Photobucket is hacked again or still hacked but they don't realise it yet!

If a internet business can't keep their servers secure, what hope does an individual? Every time we have unexplained slow internet speeds my paranoia sets in and I think we've been hacked

It's usually later explained but crappy Telstra service or it's just Sunday night and the interwebs are getting slammed...but who knows...

Quote Originally Posted by turnstiles View Post
    All of the photos are still visible to me.
    Photobucket, which appears to be the hosting service used for the majority of the thread, was a very popular external hosting service for members - it was free. Then a while back out of the blue Photobucket turned around and rolled out a payed subscription service at some highly inflated price. They then blocked access to any of the photos that were hosted under the previous business model, breaking the links to many forums - such as this one (they were broken last time I looked at the thread). They did this in the hope everybody would pay the annual fee.

It would appear that the way Photobucket went about this was a huge mistake and there was huge backlash as users went to other hosting services. Some forum users re-linked their photos - often using the forum hosting server - others didn't. Photobucket seem to have now realised that they have shot themselves in the foot and now seemed to have unblocked access and introduced a more reasonable fee structure. One would expect that their horse has already bolted however.
    Licence to drill!

1K Club Member

There are add-ons or extensions for FF & Chrome to fix the PB issue.

2 examples:

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...obucket-fixer/
    Chrome:https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...bifiaedg?hl=en

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5