Man Cave construction - Sub-Floor excavation

Results 1 to 29 of 29
  1. #1
    Senior Member Ourbuild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    134

    Question Man Cave construction - Sub-Floor excavation

    Hi Guys

    As previously mentioned in the new announcements section http://www.renovateforum.com/f186/se...ng-way-112866/ i am performing some renovation works to my property and thought i would share STAGE 1 of my Man Cave project that i recently completed.

    Below are some before during and after photo's to give you a snap shot of what i have done so far. When i get a bit more time on my hands in the coming weeks i will go into detail and try to share allot more of the photos and steps i took along the way. I posted a blog on my site when we were halfway through the construction which you can see here - The making of the man cave – Progress update | Ourbuild I also filmed the whole thing so i hope to have a video up on YouTube in the coming months (i have over 500GB of files so its taking a while to edit).

    Anyway it has been a pretty rewarding process, I have dug this whole excavation literally by hand through sandstone and clay with picks, shovels, jackhammers and rock saws, i hope you enjoy.

    Before Pic's

    Access to the rear sub-floor area is through the laundry.

    img_7544.jpg


    Laundry area

    img_6549.jpg


    Sub floor opening behind the laundry.

    img_6556.jpg


    Sub- floor storage.

    Looked like previous owners had attempted to great a small room in this area.

    img_7316.jpg


    Looking from the sub-floor storage back out into the laundry.

    img_6566.jpg


    Under the house behind the storage are (the real sub-floor)

    img_6559.jpg



    They were some of the before pic's now i will move onto some of the during early stages.

    During Pic's

    Some temp props.

    img_7550.jpg


    Back wall of store starting to be pulled down.

    img_7787.jpg


    Part removal of laundry/store wall and propping for access.

    img_7793.jpg


    First stages of hand excavation in clay and sandstone rock.

    img_9071.jpg


    Backyard before - Spoil from the sub-floor will be spread to raise the yard.

    img_7794.jpg


    Rubble being separated from good fill soil and awaits removal.

    img_9945.jpg


    I made a sive that we placed over the wheel barrow (left of barrow in pic) to separate the rubble from good soil.

    img_9947.jpg


    Back yard being topped up with fill that has been excavated from the sub-floor area.

    img_9072.jpg


    I am out of time, but here is a sneak peek of what is to come -

    2014-01-06-17.08.46.jpg

    imag3693.jpg


    Thanks guys,

    Regards James Mason.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_9949.jpg  

  2. #2
    Slow but rough Uncle Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    North Cooma, Canberra
    Posts
    5,322

    Default

    Looks like it will be a good space. Can you get windows into it?

  3. #3
    Senior Member Ourbuild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Looks like it will be a good space. Can you get windows into it?
    Hi Uncle Bob, in stage 2 I will be putting a large ser of glass sliding doors in the back wall that opens onto the rear yard. The other walls won't have any as we are below ground level.

  4. #4
    1K Club Member paddyjoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,577

    Default

    That's some serious excavation, looking great!

    In the second last photo where you have "300" on the wall, are those the original footings?

    Is it all clay/soil or did you have to dig down through sandstone?

  5. #5
    Senior Member Ourbuild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paddyjoy View Post
    That's some serious excavation, looking great!

    In the second last photo where you have "300" on the wall, are those the original footings?

    Is it all clay/soil or did you have to dig down through sandstone?
    Thanks Paddyjoy, that was the depth (or width behind the wall) of the excavation that we had to go back under the original house footings so that our new underpinning could get to the center of the original footing with a new solid 230mm brick wall under it.

    80% of the excavation was sandstone with small layers of clay between the each layer of rock. The top levels of rock came away quite easily, but as we got deeper the stone got quite hard and we actually had to cut most of it out with a demolition saw and pull it up in slabs with the jackhammer. Let me tell you that was fun, Jackhammers from 7am - 4pm for about a month solid, lucky we get along with our neighbours

    In the next lot of during pic's i will post you can see the excavation and under pinning in more detail.

    All the best.

  6. #6
    Novice
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ourbuild View Post
    Let me tell you that was fun, Jackhammers from 7am - 4pm for about a month solid, lucky we get along with our neighbours.
    Yes. I know all about jackhammers and I also know that it is not that much fun.

    Keep up the good work.

    Glenn

  7. #7
    1K Club Member paddyjoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,577

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ourbuild View Post
    Thanks Paddyjoy, that was the depth (or width behind the wall) of the excavation that we had to go back under the original house footings so that our new underpinning could get to the center of the original footing with a new solid 230mm brick wall under it.

    80% of the excavation was sandstone with small layers of clay between the each layer of rock. The top levels of rock came away quite easily, but as we got deeper the stone got quite hard and we actually had to cut most of it out with a demolition saw and pull it up in slabs with the jackhammer. Let me tell you that was fun, Jackhammers from 7am - 4pm for about a month solid, lucky we get along with our neighbours

    In the next lot of during pic's i will post you can see the excavation and under pinning in more detail.

    All the best.
    Look forward to the rest of the pics.

    I would love to do something like this at our place but we have a semi so would never get away with it!

  8. #8
    Community Moderator phild01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sydney, north
    Posts
    16,455

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paddyjoy View Post
    Look forward to the rest of the pics.

    I would love to do something like this at our place but we have a semi so would never get away with it!
    Semis can be extended up,but not down!?

  9. #9
    1K Club Member paddyjoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,577

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    Semis can be extended up,but not down!?
    Ha ha Phil, maybe if the neighbours go on holiday for a month!

  10. #10
    Community Moderator phild01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sydney, north
    Posts
    16,455

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paddyjoy View Post
    Ha ha Phil, maybe if the neighbours go on holiday for a month!
    My friend's neighbour (adjoining semi) extended up...were friends; not friends now!

  11. #11
    1K Club Member paddyjoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,577

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    My friend's neighbour (adjoining semi) extended up...were friends; not friends now!
    Ouch, it's hard but in the city space is so limited you can never please everyone.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Ourbuild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paddyjoy View Post
    Ha ha Phil, maybe if the neighbours go on holiday for a month!
    Hi Paddyjoy

    You can still do something like this in a semi, so long as your within your boundary line and you get council approval of course. The main issue would be the underpinning of the shared party wall, you would have to get signed consent from your neighbour and a structural engineer would be required to do the design and inspections including dilapidation reports before, during and after the works take place.

    Our place is really not that different to a semi, although its classed as free standing our neighbours walls basically abut ours, so i have had to go through with all of the above items myself.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Ourbuild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    My friend's neighbour (adjoining semi) extended up...were friends; not friends now!
    Small inner city blocks and semi's are tricky to work on thats for sure, its a shame it didn't work out for your friends... We are pretty lucky with our neighbours, although in saying that we go out of our way to make sure we look after them. I find that by knocking on the door and asking if they want to throw any rubbish in our skip bins before they get picked up and helping out with small handyman jobs here and there goes along way as well.

  14. #14
    1K Club Member paddyjoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,577

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ourbuild View Post
    Hi Paddyjoy

    You can still do something like this in a semi, so long as your within your boundary line and you get council approval of course. The main issue would be the underpinning of the shared party wall, you would have to get signed consent from your neighbour and a structural engineer would be required to do the design and inspections including dilapidation reports before, during and after the works take place.

    Our place is really not that different to a semi, although its classed as free standing our neighbours walls basically abut ours, so i have had to go through with all of the above items myself.
    Thanks for the inspiration, I'm busy extending up at the moment so I'll see how much energy I have left at the end! There is probably a lot I can do without underpinning as I have a reasonable amount of space under there. The neighbours dug out their side without underpinning and it worked out nicely.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Ourbuild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paddyjoy View Post
    Thanks for the inspiration, I'm busy extending up at the moment so I'll see how much energy I have left at the end! There is probably a lot I can do without underpinning as I have a reasonable amount of space under there. The neighbours dug out their side without underpinning and it worked out nicely.
    Great to here your going up, are you living there while doing so? We are also in the process of going up as well, i actually put our first video up on my blog last week of the site establishment taking place (you can view through this link) Introducing the Small Space, Big Build Project – Site Establishment | Ourbuild and i should have the demo video up late next week as well. The videos are about 5-6 weeks behind whats actually happening on site as im just finishing the roof framing as we speak.

    What stage is yours at?

  16. #16
    1K Club Member paddyjoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,577

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ourbuild View Post
    Great to here your going up, are you living there while doing so? We are also in the process of going up as well, i actually put our first video up on my blog last week of the site establishment taking place (you can view through this link) Introducing the Small Space, Big Build Project Site Establishment | Ourbuild and i should have the demo video up late next week as well. The videos are about 5-6 weeks behind whats actually happening on site as im just finishing the roof framing as we speak.

    What stage is yours at?
    Love the name, small space, big build, I can relate to that!

    Yes we are living in the house, doing the project as owner builders. Other than plumbing and electrical my wife and I will be doing pretty much everything so as you can imagine it is a very slow moving project. I have a full time job and we have two young kids so 4 months in we are only now getting ready to start the framing! Just waiting for some skylights to come from the UK then I'm going to take 3 weeks off work to get the walls and roof up and watertight.

    Here is our thread progress so far http://www.renovateforum.com/f176/sy...dition-110337/

  17. #17
    Senior Member Ourbuild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paddyjoy View Post
    Love the name, small space, big build, I can relate to that!

    Yes we are living in the house, doing the project as owner builders. Other than plumbing and electrical my wife and I will be doing pretty much everything so as you can imagine it is a very slow moving project. I have a full time job and we have two young kids so 4 months in we are only now getting ready to start the framing! Just waiting for some skylights to come from the UK then I'm going to take 3 weeks off work to get the walls and roof up and watertight.

    Here is our thread progress so far http://www.renovateforum.com/f176/sy...dition-110337/
    Wow! Thats a great looking project, you must have some pretty good building skills to take on a project like that as an owner builder, or are you learning along the way ?

  18. #18
    1K Club Member paddyjoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,577

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ourbuild View Post
    Wow! Thats a great looking project, you must have some pretty good building skills to take on a project like that as an owner builder, or are you learning along the way ?
    Thanks yes it's a learning along the way project, I really should have started with something simpler like a cubby house but I like to go in the deep end!

  19. #19
    Senior Member Ourbuild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Thought i would get a few more of the progress pic's up of the Man Cave project for you guys.

    2014-01-06-13.11.49.jpg2014-01-06-16.46.25.jpg2014-01-10-14.59.48.jpg2014-01-10-15.00.22.jpg2014-01-20-17.11.24.jpg2014-01-30-15.23.17.jpg2014-01-30-16.27.59.jpg2014-02-07-08.46.51.jpg2014-02-07-09.29.21.jpg2014-02-07-09.41.12.jpg

    All the best, James Mason.

  20. #20
    1K Club Member Random Username's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    1,185

    Default

    Well, the 'cave' description certainly fits it well...
    DIY electrical house wiring details suitable for Australia - http://goo.gl/9d33T (PDF file)

  21. #21
    Senior Member Ourbuild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Random Username View Post
    Well, the 'cave' description certainly fits it well...
    Certainly does!!

  22. #22
    Golden Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    QLD
    Posts
    751

    Default

    i remember my uncle doing this to his house in Gymea Bay. Hand dug all that sock and dirt out to build a movie theatre under his house.

  23. #23
    Senior Member Ourbuild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian7886 View Post
    i remember my uncle doing this to his house in Gymea Bay. Hand dug all that sock and dirt out to build a movie theatre under his house.
    Wow, there is some pretty serious rock in Gymea Bay, I used to live there about 15 years ago. Did it turn out well for him?

  24. #24
    Tomo
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Attachment 104420Great project, I'm well in to my own dig ( time wise anyway ) seeing your's has given me some more ideas ,please post more photos .regards Tom

  25. #25
    Senior Member Ourbuild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Thanks hrt22, will do. Likewise do u have some to share?

  26. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    In A House
    Posts
    145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hrt22 View Post
    Attachment 104420Great project, I'm well in to my own dig ( time wise anyway ) seeing your's has given me some more ideas ,please post more photos .regards Tom
    Your attachment link does not work.

  27. #27
    Tomo
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    14

    Default Man Cave construction - Sub-Floor excavation

    Hi Guys here are some of my photos from when I started my dig ,been slow


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  28. #28
    Senior Member Ourbuild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Looking good mate, picking and shovel work??

  29. #29
    Tomo
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    14

    Default Man Cave construction - Sub-Floor excavation

    Yeah mainly ,but this is a help just picked it up last month ,should've did it sooner...


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Similar Threads

  1. T&G Engineered Floating Floor in Sandstone Cave?
    By nucklehead in forum Flooring
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 15th May 2012, 01:34 AM
  2. Man-cave
    By Cecile in forum At the end of the day
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 13th Nov 2011, 12:43 PM
  3. The ultimate man-cave accessory
    By Cecile in forum The Garden Shed
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 5th Jun 2011, 05:39 PM
  4. vertical/horizontal construction bamboo floor
    By cravenhaven in forum Flooring
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12th Oct 2010, 02:07 PM
  5. Sub Floor Excavation
    By Miles in forum Structural Renovation
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 19th Jul 2007, 10:42 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •