Our renovation.

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    1K Club Member

Default Our renovation.

As Moondog posted elsewhere, we have inadvertently started our indoor renovations. The removal of one wall has led to, so far...

• a new front door being installed
    • replacing the old front porch timber flooring with 16mm structural cement sheet
    • demolition of the guts of a built in wardrobe so that the wall can have the loadbearing studs reinstated (damn you, Grandpa Jack!)
    • cutting the doorway between the living room and kitchen

Of course we need to replace plasterboard, architraves, skirting board. On one of our many trips to Bunnings we found the perfect timber flooring to replace carpet by the front door, on special...so we need to get that now or lose out ($25 a pack, not bad!)

In four weeks we will have a two year old living with us, so we need to at least finish what we've started. Thanks to everyone here for their help and advice, and especially Moondog's cousin the Master Builder for losing his driving license and providing his labour very cheaply!

Photos to follow once I have some time to resize them.
    Last edited by Cecile; 10th Oct 2010 at 06:19 PM. Reason: additional info

1K Club Member

It's amazing what you can start with one simple step ain't it ...

Looking forward to the pix Cecile!

1K Club Member

Default Finally, some decisions

After months of dicking around, and not doing much we have come up with what we think will be the final iteration for now. We're having the kitchen quoted now, and have just sent plans off to a builder for estimates. The bathroom is urgent and seeing how we should have finance on track for next week, we should be able to get that going ASAP. It'll be good to be doing something again.

Wish us luck!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bedroom-extension-final-plan.jpg   preferred-kitchen.jpg  
    I am not responsible for anything that Moondog says!

4K Club Member

Looks like we just started, Jennifer and the 2YO have been moving out and today the vacumn guys are here cleaning out all the old fiberglass and dead rats etc and putting in new R3.5 Earthwool batts
    As we are pulling out some walls etc in the kitchen they wont insulate the ceiling in the kitchen or bathroom just leave the packs here for us to install later on

OMG It has started and we still don't have enough money, is there ever enough money once you start??

4K Club Member

Default Only just enough room to move up there

These fellas are earning their money and doing a reasonably good job in cramped conditions
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_3006.jpg   img_3004.jpg   img_3001.jpg   img_3002.jpg   img_3005.jpg  

img_3003.jpg  

4K Club Member

So i know thee photos don't show much but the difference is palpable and positive. I am not coughing or wheezing as much and the house in much warmer and much quieter.

It is amazing now much dust and dead stuff accumulates over 50 years

Hows the asthma with the renos ...I remember removing walls at my parents victorian house geeze the crap that came out mummified animals and seriously about 80kilos of dust.

4K Club Member

Asthma ( well mine anyway) is better.
    That huge vacumn cleaner is the way to go, even if we didn't get the full high pressure blow out.

that quantity of dust sounds a little on the light side actually, from the noise the guys were making i think it may have been more like 200kg of dead stuff and dust they removed, poor mice and rats will have to find somewhere else to live now.
    Reminder to self replace all the bait stations and let off a couple of bombs for speeedies and other creeepie craawlies

1K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Moondog55 View Post
    speeedies and other creeepie craawlies
    They must have vacuumed most of them up, since we only found one huntsman that apparently escaped. EWWWWWWWW

moondog how much did it cost to get the insulation removed and have it all vacuumed?

1K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by piscean View Post
    moondog how much did it cost to get the insulation removed and have it all vacuumed?
    Removal of existing insulation and vacuum was $1210 including GST, the house is 133 square metres. Supply and install of earthwool R3.5 batts was $10 square metre.

1K Club Member

I think I will just take the roofing iron off on a windy day ... Great to see progress at last Moondog - and no. There is never enough money. You think you have a budget and then you realise that 'installing a kitchen' costs more than the flatpack. It also involves plumbing, wiring, a countertop, splashbacks, floor coverings, architraves and skirting ... And that's before you start decorating ...

Quote Originally Posted by Cecile View Post
    Removal of existing insulation and vacuum was $1210 including GST, the house is 133 square metres. Supply and install of earthwool R3.5 batts was $10 square metre.

thanks cecile. I'd love to get this done at our place but am having trouble talking DH into it. Our roof space is filthy (1960s house) and I always wonder how much of that crap makes it through the ceiling vents and adds to my allergies.

1K Club Member

Oh my God, there's a hole in the house, and it's enormous. Moondog has gutted the bathroom, and removed the original wall into the hallway. He was supposed to leave the plaster on the wall to the hallway so we could close it off but whoops, it "fell off"

So with the hole in the floor under where the tub was and the house already open to the outside, he's taken off weatherboards, started removing floorboards...thank heavens the builder starts at 7am on Monday and the wind isn't blowing. It's freezing in the house!

**edit**
    Sorry...need to rotate photos before before uploading next time. The builder's comment was that he would be removing the entire window wall (window is going) and rebuilding from scratch, rather than trying to repair the mess. More photos to come.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_2819.jpg  

1K Club Member

Default Day two bathroom

img_2834.jpgimg_2831.jpgMe: Why is there a wrecking bar on the sink?
    He: I needed it to take off the old ceiling vent so the sparky could put up the new light.

We have an external wall and the floor, electrician has been and run all the wiring (plus the new kitchen light.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_2826.jpg  

4K Club Member

Having tradies who work and don't spend half the day smoking and talking on the mobile is a pleasure, the roof space now has the light well plastered and the framing for the bath will be done tomorrow. Waterproofing follows

Just a wrecking bar in the sink is nothing to worry about Spent quite some time with a mate doing a big reno and knowing the kitchen was being removed we used the sink for everything, paint, turps, plaster you name it. Trouble was they ran out of money and the kitchen was still there when they moved back in.

Paint stripper makes a wonderful stainless steel cleaner, put that down as handy hint no#7 for messy renovators.

1K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnc View Post
    Paint stripper makes a wonderful stainless steel cleaner, put that down as handy hint no#7 for messy renovators.
    So does caustic oven cleaner...I've used it on the stainless laundry sink before )

1K Club Member

This is why I try to limit my renovation activities to summer. Poor you Cecile - the man is an animal!! And yes, the wrecking bar has recently been removed from my dining table, but the chain bar lube is still on the dresser ...

1K Club Member

Default Day two bathroom

No, we did not have two day twos. Yesterday was actually day one, although it felt like week ten, after the cold blowy weekend with no exterior wall.

Today they put up the cavity slider unit and new wall
    img_2852.jpg

They framed and sheeted the ceiling to take the roof window (can't afford it yet so we'll put in a small, cheap skylight for now)
    img_2854.jpg

The wide space between the studs is 180 deep, and will have a narrow cabinet fitted into it, instead of a medicine cupboard above the vanity.
    img_2856.jpg

The builder has assembled the vanity, and it looks great. Moondog is insulating walls. Plumber comes to rough in tomorrow. I will be choosing bath, taps, mirror (and lights if I can find any that say "BUY ME, BUY ME")

1K Club Member

If you are going for the modern streamlined look in your bathroom Cecile, I spotted a mirror that had the lights inside it - looked great, excellent light for applying makeup etc and no bits to get dusty and manky looking ...

check out this website for your lighting

www.onlinelighting.com.au/

we used it and saved heaps!!!

1K Club Member

Default Day three bathroom

Today the bath arrived, and is framed up, walls are half sheeted. I got my taps...EEK! I think I am WAY over budget. Plumber comes to rough in tomorrow

PeteV...thank you for the link. I have been happily clicking away, putting stuff on my wish list.

Needless to say, I am heartily sick of building materials in my living room. The flooring in the far right corner has been there for a year. EEK!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_2865.jpg   img_2871.jpg  

1K Club Member

Default Days four and five

Moondog says that should be "daze", and I'm inclined to agree with him.

What is it about plumbers, that they ask you what to do and then do precisely what they want to do? Three separate phone calls, two of them unnecessary, especially as I said "I want all the fixtures in a straight line directly under the shower head, on the short end of the bath. Why then did you initially place the bloody bath spout on the long edge of the bath???? The fact that you managed to empty the entire contents of the hot water service onto the floor, which of course got under the bottom plate and into the next room, does not impress me much. ARGH

img_2873.jpg

In any case, the plumbing is roughed in, and vanity hung from the wall. Plasterers have been, and done a terrific job.

img_2878.jpgimg_2881.jpgimg_2880.jpg

Tile samples have arrived too...unfortunately the white gloss floor tile sample was actually a wall tile, and the floor tile that he brought back, while non-slip, isn't the same white. Moondog doesn't get it...*sigh*...is that just a boy thing?

It is half done, and looking terrific. The young neighbours are slightly envious, although I think E is a bit uneasy about there not being a window. The Velux roof window we are planning will be wonderful. He's a builder though, and I am delighted that he likes it.

I can not wait to have our own shower back.

1K Club Member

Default Bathroom, week two, day six

We have cornices, and we have waterproofing. Of course there's already a hole in it, but the tiler did that himself (thankfully!)

I love this wide (90mm) cornice
    img_2884.jpg

Blue waterproofing...which leads us to wonder if we should paint our otherwise white bathroom palest blue
    img_2887.jpg

1K Club Member

Default Week two, day ten

We have tiles! The tiling is taking a bit longer than the builder had anticipated, but he's doing a meticulous job. Moondog, who is "project managing", says that although there has a bit of swearing, there hasn't been a single broken tile. The blue mosaic border is giving them a bit of grief, because stupidly I didn't make sure that all the tiles were the same thickness. Some scraps of 4mm cement sheet will fix that, so that's tomorrow's job. Grout hopefully Monday, then plumbers come back and fit out. We're nearly there.

img_2895.jpgimg_2897.jpgimg_2898.jpgimg_2899.jpgimg_2900.jpg

1K Club Member

Default Tiling accent close-up

It's fiddly and taking longer than expected, but it looks great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_2902.jpg   img_2901.jpg   img_2905.jpg   img_2907.jpg  

Hey that is looking funky. We've just had our tiling done as well, i'll need to update my thread as well. You're doing well guys!

Cheers

1K Club Member

Default The tiles are finished!

Moondog's first comment when he walked in was wow, OH WOW! Very happy!

Ane there is a wow factor that we didn't consider. Running the tiles horizontally really does make the tiny room look bigger. Those mosaics will really pop when they are grouted.

His only issue is that he thinks there should have been two rows of tile above the vanity. The issue with that is that we put the vanity at 870mm, higher than usual, and the mirror above would have been too high for me to see my face, and I'm taller than average. There will be a glass shelf screwed to the tiles, and it is possible it will hit the tap, wihch is a high gooseneck.

We will see how it goes. It's pretty exciting now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_2911.jpg   img_2913.jpg   img_2910.jpg   img_2912.jpg  

4K Club Member

Never been excited about a tiling job previously, but I have to say those little Murano glass mosaics do the job perfectly, and real random placement is extremely hard to do.
    4-way collaboration; CC, me, tiler and his boss, took 4 days longer than planned but I do like what they have done; and i could have done it myself, given a month.
    paying for the extra tiling has been worth it

1K Club Member

Default Well, it's done

All that remains is paint, the extraction fan, and the shower curtain.

And...in spite of the grab rail, I found the bath almost impossible to get into. Somehow I have made a huge mistake.

Oh dear.

All that aside, it's really, really beautiful. So much so that the builder wants to use the photos. That's a good thing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_2923.jpg   img_2921.jpg   img_2919.jpg   img_2917.jpg   img_2916.jpg  

img_2918.jpg  

House Husband - 1K Club Member
    Upper Ferntree Gully, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

Its looking really nice Guys, The hand rail is something that a lot of people seem to overlook as an important bathroom fitting. Whether needed now or later. Currently we have no need of them but I will be putting the reinforced framing in our walls, for hand rails BEFORE they are closed up and tiled.
    Great job

4K Club Member

Thanx Sundance
    Make the noggins for the handrails from 140*45 or bigger and don't forget to take pix and make a drawing of where they are, it will help down the track

1K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by sundancewfs View Post
    Its looking really nice Guys, The hand rail is something that a lot of people seem to overlook as an important bathroom fitting. Whether needed now or later. Currently we have no need of them but I will be putting the reinforced framing in our walls, for hand rails BEFORE they are closed up and tiled.
    Great job
    A compliment from you is a great honour!

I specifically chose this handrail since it doubles as a towel rail. I wish we had put in more noggins for additional handrails if needed. At least this isn't going to be the main bathroom in the long term...the ensuite will have a big walk-in shower.

Old Chippy 6K

yep great job - classy, but practical too (and that isn't always so!)
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.

1K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bloss View Post
    yep great job - classy, but practical too (and that isn't always so!)
    Thanks Bloss. Not much you can do with a room 1.85 x 1.95, is there? I knew it had to be simple, and I used easy design tricks to make it look bigger: white, bright, and horizontal lines. We're really delighted with the result.

4K Club Member

Default Thanx

Default Difficult entry to bath??

And...in spite of the grab rail, I found the bath almost impossible to get into. Somehow I have made a huge mistake.
    It looks great, good to hear the comments on how to make a small room bigger. I am nearing 50 and had not considered hand rails - back to the drawing board for us then.
    Is the bath hard to get into because of the wide lip you need to step over?

1K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by mcsmart View Post
    It looks great, good to hear the comments on how to make a small room bigger. I am nearing 50 and had not considered hand rails - back to the drawing board for us then.
    Is the bath hard to get into because of the wide lip you need to step over?
    Thanks for your comments...in spite of the problems it's a pretty room.

The lip is a little wider than normal yes, but the bath itself is so inherently slippery, and the bottom so curved that I can't get my footing, and Moondog's big feet are longer than the bath is wide. A real nightmare, to be honest.

The handrail in the photos is a proper, hospital-grade rail and it's installed per AS1428.1, the standard for installing fixtures for the disabled. We did install it at right angles to the norm though. Doubles as a great towel rail that way.

The lip is a little wider than normal yes, but the bath itself is so inherently slippery, and the bottom so curved that I can't get my footing, and Moondog's big feet are longer than the bath is wide. A real nightmare, to be honest.
    Righto, so a flatter bottom bath would be a start and a narrower lip perhaps. I have a hoof on me too but I think my lovely English bride (well.....as good as) will be the biggest user. She is soooo excited........... and clumsy, look out! You know it is things like this that make this forum SO BLOODY GREAT...........Thanks.

1K Club Member

Default Progress, sort of

We finally got enrgised, and after nearly six months put up the bathroom mirror, shelf, and cabinet. After all the dicking around, it only took about two hours, (and four trips to the big green shed!) We need to paint again too, since that's not finished, but it looks like a real bathroom. I love the minimal look of the stainless zip-wire instead of a thick shower curtain rail, although the maroon shower curtain will have to go. The bathroom's blue, after all

I still can not use the bath effectively, and so are looking at the best option to gain a real, walk-in shower without costing telephone numbers.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_4630.jpg   img_4638.jpg   img_4639.jpg   img_4636.jpg   img_4637.jpg  

img_4631.jpg   img_4632.jpg   img_4633.jpg   img_4634.jpg   img_4635.jpg  

1K Club Member

Loving the 'dressing room' lights - I really do like that look! There are no pix of the bath in question that i can see - am I missing something?

1K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Black Cat View Post
    Loving the 'dressing room' lights - I really do like that look! There are no pix of the bath in question that i can see - am I missing something?
    You're not going mad. I didn't take any of the bath. This is just the vanity area/hallway. I'll shoot the bath now.

With the camera, of course!

1K Club Member

Default The bath

The bathroom is so tiny I can not get the whole bath into one shot. Here is a selection. I do have a white satin stripe shower curtain, which I prefer but it needs to be replaced.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_4640.jpg   img_4641.jpg   img_4642.jpg   img_4645.jpg   img_4646.jpg  

Small Member

Cecile,
    When my wife's aunt had an ankle rebuild she couldn't access the bath (and shower) for around 6 months so we made ( a fairly crude, but practical) seat so she could sit on the edge of it (it protruded past the bath lip) swing her legs over then sit down into the bath. She said it transformed her day.
    This is an example of a commercial one but I'm sure you can buy nicer looking ones or moondog could make one. Aluminium Transfer Bench with Back by Ausmedic | Buy bathroom aids at Mobility Shop
    I hope I haven't offended you!

Andy

1K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by andy the pm View Post
    Cecile,
    When my wife's aunt had an ankle rebuild she couldn't access the bath (and shower) for around 6 months so we made ( a fairly crude, but practical) seat so she could sit on the edge of it (it protruded past the bath lip) swing her legs over then sit down into the bath. She said it transformed her day.
    This is an example of a commercial one but I'm sure you can buy nicer looking ones or moondog could make one. Aluminium Transfer Bench with Back by Ausmedic | Buy bathroom aids at Mobility Shop
    I hope I haven't offended you!

Andy
    No offence taken Andy...thank you! Nice of you to think of me. We actually do have a proper transfer shower bench, although we've loaned it to Ted's nephew, who is recovering from a hip replacement. Part of my issue is poor balance due to MS and an insane, irrational fear of falling on a slippery surface, which makes me feel even more unbalanced. Not a good combination.

We're muddling through with a temporary shower in the laundry until we can get the funding for another bathroom. Therein lies a whole nother design story!

1K Club Member

Default The new handrail goes up

Moondog installed the noggins in the plaster-less wall behind the bathroom today, and fitted the additional disability rail next to the bath. He also hacked a couple of IKEA towel rails to make a short deep shelf for above the loo. I'll be glad when the bathroom's painted and the blue tape is GORN.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_4653.jpg   img_4655.jpg   img_4648.jpg   img_4650.jpg  

1K Club Member

Definitely progress - It looks very impressive! And at least the blue tape is in a straight line - I am sure I would get it crooked.

House Husband - 1K Club Member
    Upper Ferntree Gully, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

We have the same glass Ikea shelves in our main bathroom and also the single rail version of the rack you have, in our laundry.
    I do like the styling.

1K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by sundancewfs View Post
    I do like the styling.
    Thank you! Years of interior design training, plus I like the minimalist look in a bathroom. Never thought we'd have an IKEA house, but the stuff's well-designed and affordable. Even the vanity is IKEA, and we're considering an IKEA kitchen.

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast