Options: Replacing Floorboards in C1880's sandstock brick worker's cottage Sydney

Apprentice (new member)

Default Options: Replacing Floorboards in C1880's sandstock brick worker's cottage Sydney

Hello lovers of old things and new,

I need to pull up the flooring in my house to examine and attend to the bearers, joists and piers and then install sub-floor ventilation (because doing that while the sub-floor is expose seems sensible).

I need advice on flooring and any other helpful tips would be appreciated.

The house is a sandstock brick worker's cottage. I've removed most of the crappy floating floor. One 3.3 x 3.4 bedroom has the original 150 mm (or maybe 160mm) Baltic Pine sitting on bearers and joists. Two of the Rooms are covered with yellow tongue. They are 3.75 x 3.75 and 3.75 x 3.65. The fourth room, which is 4.25 x 3.4 has yellow tongue and vinyl tiles over that. There is a possibility there are some floorboards intact under the yellow tongue and tiles.

I also have 230 lineal metres of 6 inch reclaimed (100-140 year old) baltic pine floors in need of restoration. I would love to use them in my house but I don't have any ability to do any restoration myself and so that is unlikely.

It has been suggested to me that I should sell the reclaimed boards and the ones in the house and put in new 130mm wide floorboards once the bearers joist piers etc are repaired. I want to find flooring that will match the character of the house and I hate yellow tongue but everyone tells me these days floorboards are laid onto yellow tongue.

What species is recommended? I need to strike a balance between romanticism, pragmatics and a nod to aesthetics.
    And is yellow tongue really necessary?

Another possibility is to re-lay the 13 sq metres of boards in the bedroom and have new 130mm boards in the other 3 rooms.

What are others' thoughts and experiences?

Thanks
    Kate

1K Club Member

Using a flooring particle board underneath allows you to get the most cover from your boards on top as there is no need to ensure that the boards join on a joist. Once done you'll never know there is board underneath apart from how solid it will feel.
    Here in the West and using jarrah we do "end match" the boards so a tongue and groove on the ends to allow joins anywhere. Not sure if that's an option with pine though...
    Using a termite treated particle is always a great idea too.
    And.....your point is.....what exactly?