store credit at online lighting store for sale at discount - easy savings!

Apprentice (new member)

Default store credit at online lighting store for sale at discount - easy savings!

Hi All

New poster here. I have around $1,100 store credit at https://onlinelighting.com.au/ which I am selling for 95% of face value.

Online lighting deliver across Australia.

If you are renovating and need light fittings, globes or ceiling fans, contact me and I'll buy for you, arrange for it to be delivered to you and you just need to pay me 95% of the store credit. Easy savings to be had!

The ad is posted on gumtree here

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mosm...657706?ref=ais

Thanks

So a $55 saving for a $1100 complicated transaction!

Anything on Gumtree gives me the heebie jeebies.

1K Club Member

It's not called Scumtree for nothing....

I'd pay 5% more more not to go through that sort of hoop.

Community Moderator

There is not much available if you are trying to sell something. Facebook is full of gunners , gunner buy, Gumtree a bit better as you can talk to the seller but still a lot of gunners.

1K Club Member

And low-ballers. $500 does not mean "offer me $100"

Community Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by commodorenut View Post
    And then you have those on the other end who put inflated prices on what they sell. On the FB for sale sites posters put in a real low price just to get their name up with no intentions of buying.

There is nothing unusual about the offered transaction. The risk for the buyer is no different from buying anything else online. You pay and you don't know if you are ever going to see your purchase. If you pay with PayPal you have buyer protection. If the seller does not have paypal don't buy.
    Having said that, 5% is a joke. That sort of transaction starts to become feasible at 30% discount and attractive at 50%. Taking a risk as much as it can be minimised by paying with Paypal, is rather stupid for 5%
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect
    Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by commodorenut View Post
    Ha ha, so true. You can not blame them for trying.
    What irritates me most is those who Ask for a price reduction without having seen the goods. I had a Kubota engine for sale. It was a new engine I marinsed and I done a real good job with it, with top quality pump, heat exchanger, marine gearbox etc. I was swamped with calls and the first and only question was, what is the lowest price you would take. Hello! I am all for bargaining but have the decency to see what you are buying and tell me why I should reduce the price.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect
    Mark Twain

4K Club Member

Geez I thought I was being tight when I offered my Patagonia gift card for a 24% discount when the norm is at least 30%
    "A big boy did it and ran away"

Legal disclaimer denying responsibility to be inserted here.

JB1
    1K Club Member

Location - Mosman.

You don't get rich by giving money away

2K Club Member

Gotta be spam -no one anywhere could be that optimistic

Apprentice (new member)

Hi everyone

It's not spam. But thanks for the feedback.

To allay any concerns:

- It's now on ebay, you can see I have a 100% ebay rating. I don't want to jeopardise it.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Store-cr...e/332552796765

- You can use PayPal which I believe provides buyer protection. You will not need it, but it is there.
    - The arrangement is now that I will simply email the store credit and you can go ahead and use it. (or you can do the alternative where I buy for you, whatever you want)
    - The discount has been increased to 10%. I agree, 5% wasn't that attractive but you never know, someone might have nibbled (people do some strange things to save a few bucks and this isn't that strange) and anyone is welcome to make an offer.... However, 10% is very fair for a no-risk deal.
    - It also looks like ebay are offering a further 5% off when you enter a promo code PICK5 (at least when I look at the posting, it might not apply to everyone)

Buying a $1 for 90c risk-free is easy money (just ask Warren Buffet, that's how did it in the early days). It takes you 30 seconds to do the transaction online which translates to a pretty decent hourly rate.

7K Club Member

Wondering how you came by this store credit originally?

Apprentice (new member)

Itís pretty straightforward, we were doing a reno ourselves and my wife fell in love with an expensive pendant light which later turned out to not fit the style of our place. Looked good in the photo but not in reality. So we returned it.

I am posting here because having just been through a reno we know you try get savings where you can.

1K Club Member

We really need some light fittings, and I have purchased from these guys before. Unfortunately I don't have any spare $$$.

Is there any risk that the store credit is only available to you, and not transferrable? Not distrusting, just asking.
    I am not responsible for anything that Moondog says!

Apprentice (new member)

Fair question Cecile, I don't know if it's transferable or not but I don't think there is any risk on that issue. Firstly we can go the alternative route whereby I order on your behalf to solve that problem. Secondly, the guy we have been dealing with at the store is very reasonable and he knows that we can ultimately have the lights delivered to wherever we say so I'm pretty sure he would honour the store credit if someone else presented it rather than get in the way and make it difficult for us, especially if we are transparent with him. My intention would be just to email the guy there telling him we wish to use the store credit in this way and ask him how we go about it. They have nothing to lose and everything to gain by helping two customers!

Cheers

Yea, sounds messy, maybe at 25% off it could become slightly attractive?

You don't even know if the supplier will honour returns on items bought with store credit, do you?

Apprentice (new member)

Australian Consumer Law tells you that for returned items they must offer exchange or store credit. The use of store credit to purchase new items is a new transaction, distinct from the first.

Quote Originally Posted by munnass View Post
    Australian Consumer Law tells you that for returned items they must offer exchange or store credit. The use of store credit to purchase new items is a new transaction, distinct from the first.
    yeah, but you are the "purchaser" not the person you sell it to, so the person who buys your *thing* is not protected by the ACL ... are they?
    freedom of expression freedom from consequences...

I say try whirlpool forum, much less discerning people there who may even buy at 5% discount. We are a bunch of tight ass that wouldn't buy anything from you at less than 50% discount and if you don't deliver we would find you for sure ... here or on the munn
    Mark Twain

Apprentice (new member)

Marc - ha fair call, will put on whirlpool as well. No risk on not delivering.

DavoSyd - it's easy to arrange so the buyer gets a receipt and the buyer is covered. But even if I am issued with the receipt, it's still a receipt which is proof of purchase and doesn't matter who's name is on it so buyer is still covered. No different to how warranties are transferred to purchasers when you sell second hand goods under warranty.

Have to say in defence or our mysterious guest Mr Munn etc, that I did once claim a warranty on a plasma cutter from Lincoln that developed a catastrophic fault. i bought it second hand from Cash Converters and had the receipt and warranty in someone else's name. The warranty was honored and Lincoln repaired the fault no problem.

40% discount and you may have some takers.
    Mark Twain

7K Club Member

It's just that the purchaser has nothing to 'see'. Just an apparent email that will be forwarded when you hand over $1000. Yeah yeah PayPal protection and all but for the small discount vs potential hassle I would pay the full price directly

horn.jpg
    i would have just sold the thing on eBay for profit!!!
    freedom of expression freedom from consequences...

Quote Originally Posted by r3nov8or View Post
    It's just that the purchaser has nothing to 'see'. Just an apparent email that will be forwarded when you hand over $1000. Yeah yeah PayPal protection and all but for the small discount vs potential hassle I would pay the full price directly
    Oh I agree ... not for me, just making conversation.
    Mark Twain

Apprentice (new member)

It looks exactly like an invoice but the number is negative. For real.