Hire the best Pool and Spa Builder and save up to 40%

Chlorine strength

Default Chlorine strength

Is there anyway without going into rocket science type maths, to be able to check the strength of the chlorine my local pool shop is selling me I have always added a litter a day with a bit extra on hot and or heavy use days which kept the pool water happy its now gone up to 2 litters a day, and i think it should go up to 3. The simple thing would be to change shops but this one is handy but I would like to be able to check it out and be able to find out if I have been ripped off

7K Club Member

I don't know about your main question, but do you use stabilser in the pool? I suspect not (or not enough) given the rate you are burning chlorine (even at a litre a day!). If you are using stabilser, what is it's measurement?

Actually at Christmas I had to remove 20,000 litters of water because the self serve water test at bunnings was calibrated wrong and did as it said and added stabilizer as a result I got what was called chlorine lock because of the excess stabilizer it tested at another pool shop it was over 150 ppm after the the water removal I finally got it down 100 ppm and with the rain it has come down a bit. Yes i do use stabilizer Butting two litters a day in for two Weeks this morning my reading was 3 ppm I am changing pool shops tomorrow and see what happens.The only thing is that where I have been buying it is delivered by tanker kept in several thousand litter tanks and the decant it on site,whereas other places have it delivered weekly on so with questionable storage
    That's why i want to know if I can test it, as it would not take much to add a litter or sow of water to the container before it is filled do that a few times a week a nice little earner

7K Club Member

I don't know of any "chlorine purity" test. At the rate you are adding it you probably could have installed salt chlorination by now.

You can do a simple comparative test. Measure one litre of water and one cc of the suspected chlorine, and do the same with another source of chlorine and test the usual way. if the concentration claimed on the label are the same you should get the same result. If there is a discrepancy, you will know.

There are easy lab test to determine free chlorine in a concentrated solution but you will need the appropriate reactives and ways to weight components accurately.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect
    Mark Twain

7K Club Member

I reckon you'll need a large volume of water per cc of chlorine, or a much smaller measure of 'straight' chlorine. Maybe a couple of units in an insulin syringe would work. Home test kits cap out at 20ppmillion or so

And you'll need to be accurate to get a conclusive result

I have just returned from a new another pool shop the man suggested similar to what you wrote a similar amount into a old milk container test with a strip and compare notes we have a old dropper from when the kids were young a few drops into 2 litters should do