Hire the best Pool and Spa Builder

Pool fence perpendicular to rock wall

Novice

Default Pool fence perpendicular to rock wall

Hi All,

Hoping to get some thoughts on the regs in relation to running a pool fence perpendicular up to a rock wall.

The rock wall is well over 1200 high, and will have a fence section on the top of it, continuing the pool fence line before reaching the boundary fence, also perpendicular.

Do I need a glass panel the height of the rock wall, plus another 1200 to meet the height of the fence above the rock wall? Or is a 1200 glass panel up to the rock wall sufficient?

I cannot find/translate anything in the regs to validate this scenario against.

The relevant regs are AS1926, I believe the aspect that will come into play in your case is if the rock wall impacts the Non Climbable Zone (NCZ)
    If it provides a ledge or step within the 900mm zone then you will need a barrier to extend the zone.

https://www.spasa.com.au/consumer-info/fencing-laws/

Senior Stinkologist Sir Stinkalot's Avatar

Are you able to provide a sketch of what you have? Its a little confusing.
    Licence to drill!

1K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Stinkalot View Post
    Are you able to provide a sketch of what you have? Its a little confusing.
    Or photos?
    Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Novice

Hopefully this photo gives a better idea. Orange square at the top of the rock wall will be a glass panel, and orange rectangle is the intended fence line below.

I'm wondering if the end glass panel closest to the rock wall can be at 1200 high, or whether it will need to extend up to the height of the glass panel at the top of the rock wall (probably over 3m high panel).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20221103_202608.jpg  

1K Club Member

I think it would depend on if that rock wall was deemed climbable. I'd be asking the guy that is going to sign it off as being safe with the certificate of compliance. Have those spigots been individually earth bonded as they look like they are closer than 1250mm from the pool edge?
    A lot of people know about the fencing rules but not the equipotential bonding rules. You can buy non conductive spigots and plastic covers that go over the metal spigots to make them compliant without any bonding.
    Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey66 View Post
    I think it would depend on if that rock wall was deemed climbable. I'd be asking the guy that is going to sign it off as being safe with the certificate of compliance. Have those spigots been individually earth bonded as they look like they are closer than 1250mm from the pool edge?
    A lot of people know about the fencing rules but not the equipotential bonding rules. You can buy non conductive spigots and plastic covers that go over the metal spigots to make them compliant without any bonding.
    Existing fence that you can see is all coming out with concrete to go in, and yes, composite spigots are going in to negate earthing the close ones.

The rock wall will be pointed flush to the stone, so I'd be surprised if it was considered climbable. My concern was someone being able to go around the glass panel on the top of the rock wall and then down into the pool area, its a fair way down however, greater than 1800 requirement for external fencing.

Quote Originally Posted by nath180 View Post
    Existing fence that you can see is all coming out with concrete to go in, and yes, composite spigots are going in to negate earthing the close ones.

The rock wall will be pointed flush to the stone, so I'd be surprised if it was considered climbable. My concern was someone being able to go around the glass panel on the top of the rock wall and then down into the pool area, its a fair way down however, greater than 1800 requirement for external fencing.
    At the end of the day it will be the certifier that needs to answer the question, they are the authority that you need to pose the question of.

My interpretation is as long as the rock wall is classed as non claimable and the top is outside the NCZ then you should be in a good place. How your certifier interprets the regulations ? Please see above.

Bureaucracy
    Can I ask some pool naive questions ...
    When and why isn't the boundary fence considered a pool fence? (If you were to join the (new) fence separating the house from the pool to the boundary).
    Isn't the idea to stop people/kids climbing into the pool area? As opposed to out of it?

Before you go any further you need to speak with your certifier my friend as it will save you cost and potential rework. This is the absurdity of Australian Standards not being available for free for all to view as required.

Your stone wall will have issues under AS1926.1 Clause 2.3.4 Surface projections and indentations where projections and indentations, or any combination thereof are to not form a horizontal surface with a depth greater than 10mm. This is not just the grout joints, but also projections in the face of the stone. This could be tricky to achieve. We did a stone veneer feature wall at the end of a pool once forming the enclosure, and it was necessary to grind away in certain spots to ensure that it was compliant. The inspector from Council was all over this.

Second, it looks as if your stone retaining wall is less than 1800mm in height. If you are not putting a 1200mm high fence full length above, then the boundary fence forms the pool enclosure. Looks like you have the rail on your side so that will need attention so that it cannot be classified as climbable.

Third - I would suspect that the last 900mm of the lower panel may have to come up to the same height as your panel on top of the retaining wall - good news its that should get rid of the surface projections and indentations requirements.

Pool fencing is not easy to work through, even with access to the appropriate Australian Standard, which is why its best to get the interpretations of the person who will be signing off on it before you do the work.
    Most inspectors are happy to work through the requirements rather than try and issue non-compliance notices. Attached is my interpretation, but please seek guidance from your council.

screenshot-2022-11-04-171954.jpg
    Licence to drill!

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverYoung View Post
    When and why isn't the boundary fence considered a pool fence?
    A boundary fence can form part of the pool enclosure. There are requirements that must be met, such as it being a minimum 1800mm high on the enclosure side and non climbable on the enclosure side min 900mm from the top. The idea is that if a child were to climb to the top, they wouldn’t want to fall the 1800mm and climb back down. Vegetation becomes an issue as a branch could easily be accessible in the no climb zone, so a child could get to the top of the fence and then climb down the tree. Most Certifiers don’t want to see vegetation in this area as they cannot control what is planted that may void the requirements.
    Licence to drill!

Licence to drill!