Typical price per sqm - or this too crude of an instrument?

Default Typical price per sqm - or this too crude of an instrument?

Starting to look at getting a relatively substantial extension on our small house with the additional option of first floor too.

I've just touched base with a building company I've communicated with before and they have come back to me and suggested I could use a typical $/sqm to get a rough ball park
    In the interest of time constraints.
    Use $4k Per square metre as ground level

Use $5.5K per square metre as first floor

Plus your selections for wet areas.

Inner West Melbourne location, small scale building company with great reputation.

Do these numbers look reasonable?

Can anyone explain how a first floor per sqm is more expensive than ground floor - given the subfloor is somewhat already there for the ground floor?

Cheers

2K Club Member

1st floor - staircase space, scaffolding, waterproofing both during construction and permanent , materials need more handling

rates - depends entirely on the quality at the end of the job, which maybe why you are choosing the builder. High quality well designed house with someone who has expectations of flat walls, well finished details, scribed fit, no bounce in floors is probably 3x the cost as std project home build, throw it up as fast as possible. For a comparison for joinery, sons kitchen company - install for project home - team of 3 one day, possibly a second fit visit -any @@@@ups by other trades are the builders problem. For non project home, team of 2, 4 days install - minimum of one revisit, usually 2 to realign hinges - thorough check after its been in use for a few weeks - zero blemishes allowed, minimal to no filler. cost to client is around 50% higher for an identical kitchen (well close enough identical)

Golden Member

...a quick internet search (some included below) indicate those figures are on the "high end" build. obviously so many build variations that would affect the final per sqm price potentially including including cost of materials since COVID etc.

Not sure how accurate the prices indicated are in terms of real world costs.

https://www.realestate.com.au/advice...build-a-house/
    https://hipages.com.au/article/how_m..._build_a_house

so my initial understanding was that given the sqm numbers:

a single level extension of say 30 sqm => 30 x $4k = $120k
    a ground and first floor with the same 30sqm footprint would be the ground floor price plus the first floor price? => (30 x $4k) + (30 x $5.5k) = $285K

or does the "first floor price" apply to ground and first floor, therefore becoming just 30 x $5.5k = $165k?

Thanks for the details pharmaboy. Appreciate the difference if my initial understanding in comment #4 was correct, i was just surprised if the first floor price was in addition to the $4k/sqm ground floor price as well

Thanks also Bart. I had read some of these docs and was wondering whether anyone had first hand recent experience and whether my adding up made sense

Quote Originally Posted by MeasureTwice View Post
    so my initial understanding was that given the sqm numbers:

a single level extension of say 30 sqm => 30 x $4k = $120k
    a ground and first floor with the same 30sqm footprint would be the ground floor price plus the first floor price? => (30 x $4k) + (30 x $5.5k) = $285K

or does the "first floor price" apply to ground and first floor, therefore becoming just 30 x $5.5k = $165k?
    The building company confirmed that a two storey extension is in fact $4k/sqm for ground + $5.5k/sqm for first floor

Wow! That would make a 200sqm house with 100sqm footprint (100sqm ground +100sqm first) a whopping $950k!!!!!

2K Club Member

Rates for extensions are higher than for a complete build.

Quote Originally Posted by joynz View Post
    Rates for extensions are higher than for a complete build.
    I would understand/expect this to be the case, but based on most articles quoting SIGNIFICANTLY less than that I am surprised by how much. like the article Bart referenced: https://www.realestate.com.au/advice...build-a-house/

"Wolf Architects director Taras Wolf, on the other hand, said the cost of building an architecturally designed house starts at a minimum $3000 per sqm, right up to $5382 per sqm or $50,000 per Australian house square (9.29sqm)."