neighbour extending onto my property

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Novice
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    27

    Default neighbour extending onto my property

    my neighbour is extending his house. our houses are connected, i.e. they share a party wall, which ends at the rear of both dwellings, i.e. where the backyards start.

    the rear of both houses previously ended at the same point, but he is extending further outwards by about 3.5m (along the property boundary). i noticed that he has just poured the footings and they are in line with, and the same thickness as, the party wall. he hasn't consulted me on that - i just noticed it today.

    as the property boundary is on the party wall centreline, i'd say he's poured half the footings on my property. i think it's fair to assume he's planning to build the wall over it as well.

    i imagine that one option would be for me to take steps to force him to remove the footings from my property. this would obviously lead to significant conflict, that i'm not especially keen on. i'm of half a mind to just let it slide - i can use the wall if i ever choose to extend, so in that circumstance, i'd be getting it for free. but i'm not planning to extend.

    any advice?

  2. #2
    The Master's Apprentice Bedford's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Yarra Valley Vic oz
    Posts
    8,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jules21 View Post
    i noticed that he has just poured the footings and they are in line with, and the same thickness as, the party wall. he hasn't consulted me on that - i just noticed it today.
    as the property boundary is on the party wall centreline, i'd say he's poured half the footings on my property. i think it's fair to assume he's planning to build the wall over it as well..
    The concrete footings are often wider than the actual wall, it could still be that his new wall will be on his side of the center line.


    Quote Originally Posted by jules21 View Post
    i imagine that one option would be for me to take steps to force him to remove the footings from my property. this would obviously lead to significant conflict, that i'm not especially keen on. i'm of half a mind to just let it slide - i can use the wall if i ever choose to extend, so in that circumstance, i'd be getting it for free. but i'm not planning to extend.

    any advice?
    I would try to keep the peace, but also discuss with him the finish of the wall on your side, it needs to be of an acceptable standard for you, as that's what you'll be looking at.
    Posted by John2b, And no, BEVs are not going to save the planet, which doesn't need saving anyway.

  3. #3
    1K Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Tasmania
    Posts
    1,577

    Default

    I would check with Council to see what they approved and why you were not notified. A development of that nature would require notification of the neighbour during the consultation period. But, getting back to the footings, I would just wander over and have a chat. Presumably you have a fence? If not, why not? If so, does the fence get effected by the work and has the neighbour discussed this with you also?

    Given there is a party wall, there is a distinct possibility that fire rating issues would require a double brick the thickness of the party wall as well.

    Do your homework before you engage in conversation so that you can counter any comments in an informed and friendly manner.

  4. #4
    Novice
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bedford View Post
    The concrete footings are often wider than the actual wall, it could still be that his new wall will be on his side of the center line.
    i doubt it though, as the footings aren't very wide. i suspect he'll be making use of at least most of the footing thickness.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bedford View Post
    I would try to keep the peace, but also discuss with him the finish of the wall on your side, it needs to be of an acceptable standard for you, as that's what you'll be looking at.
    i might ring the council, but do you know what my rights are for enforcing an 'acceptable finish'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Cat View Post
    I would check with Council to see what they approved and why you were not notified. A development of that nature would require notification of the neighbour during the consultation period.
    that happened. i am well aware of the development, just not that he was planning to build on my property! the plans, as far as i can tell, only mention building on the boundary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Cat View Post
    But, getting back to the footings, I would just wander over and have a chat. Presumably you have a fence? If not, why not? If so, does the fence get effected by the work and has the neighbour discussed this with you also?
    the fence (the length of it up to where the building extends) has been taken down, as it will be replaced with the building. i don't have a problem with that. i will have a chat with him, but he's not living there right now so that can be logistically difficult.

  5. #5
    1K Club Member Godzilla73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Legoland
    Posts
    1,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jules21 View Post
    but he's not living there right now so that can be logistically difficult.
    This is convenient.???


    G'day,

    There should be a sign with all the details out the front of the project, including permit issuer, builder, site supervisor, among other info. Start ringing and get answers, once this goes a bit further it'll be to late. The builder will will get a slap on the wrist form the council and you'll be for all intents out of pocket $$$...

    The builder at my parents place poured his footings without inspection and wrong position in my folks favour, $250 slap and on the project went, in there case it didn't infringe on the neighbors or any other party...

  6. #6
    1K Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Tasmania
    Posts
    1,577

    Default

    Good point Godzilla I had forgotten Council inspected the footings before the pour. Must have a crooked eye if they have done that in this instance.

  7. #7
    Novice
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla73 View Post
    There should be a sign with all the details out the front of the project, including permit issuer, builder, site supervisor, among other info.
    not seen this. it could be around the back though (where the reno is taking place) - i'd have to go round the block to see.

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Cat View Post
    Good point Godzilla I had forgotten Council inspected the footings before the pour. Must have a crooked eye if they have done that in this instance.
    are you suggesting the council would have a role in approving the placement of the footings (relative to property boundary)? it's clearly, partly on my side - unless somehow he owns the entire party wall. i would have through boundary was on the wall centreline.

  8. #8
    1K Club Member Godzilla73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Legoland
    Posts
    1,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jules21 View Post
    not seen this. it could be around the back though (where the reno is taking place) - i'd have to go round the block to see.

    Should be at the main access point, as in where all deliveries are dropped off and clearly visible.

    Quote Originally Posted by jules21 View Post
    are you suggesting the council would have a role in approving the placement of the footings (relative to property boundary)? it's clearly, partly on my side - unless somehow he owns the entire party wall. i would have through boundary was on the wall centreline.

    I reckon you're right about the center line as well... But you still need to ask the questions, councils are all care no responsibility. Is it a double skin brick wall for the rest of it, for fire proof purposes?

  9. #9
    1K Club Member Pulse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Port Macquarie
    Posts
    1,736

    Default

    http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/w...0463/s383.html

    How it should be done in WA, didn't search for Vic, just came up in google

    Cheers
    Pulse

  10. #10
    Novice
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pulse View Post
    http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/w...0463/s383.html

    How it should be done in WA, didn't search for Vic, just came up in google
    found the Vic laws (Building Act and Building Regs), doesn't seem to have an equivalent provision.

    Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla73 View Post
    Is it a double skin brick wall for the rest of it, for fire proof purposes?
    yes, double brick. built in 1908, so they probably took the Great Fire of London into account

  11. #11
    1K Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Tasmania
    Posts
    1,577

    Default

    that was a bit earlier. About 240 or so years ... Even building code drafting moves a little faster than that ... lol.

  12. #12
    Novice
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    27

    Default

    spoke to the building surveyor this morning. he is going to do a site inspection and if he can confirm that the footings were poured on my property, which he agrees is likely the case based on my description of their location, he said he'll probably recommend their removal

    could make for interesting neighbourly relations..

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    95

    Default

    You may have legal recourse however, your indication is that you do not wish for this "unnecessary" avenue.

    You may have an action in Tort law (trespass and nuisance).

    Options

    1. Take action (and given neighbour-relationship, get legal advice); or
    2. Leave it be.

    It is up to you however, again, you indicate that you wish for nothing to come of this incident and I as why then you post a question for guidance?

    Cheers.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    95

    Default

    It would probably be more relevant to look at the 'Easement' provision as provided for in the Property Law Act 1958.

    http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/v...ct/pla1958179/

    The building of the wall actually creates an easement if you were to build against it. Having an easement down your property, that cannot be extinguished by your neighbour, could indeed, possibly increase the land value of your property if the easement benefits your land?

    You need to think carefully as to whether it is worth pursuing?

    Let me know if you have any questions re the operation of easements and proprietary rights.

Similar Threads

  1. Whats a fair contribution from the neighbour
    By Castaway in forum Fences & Screens
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 9th May 2011, 05:06 PM
  2. Neighbour planting trees right next to house
    By woodhunt in forum Landscaping, Gardening & Outdoors
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 3rd May 2011, 04:07 PM
  3. My House Vibrates when neighbour flushes
    By KatieLou in forum Plumbing
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 2nd Mar 2010, 06:46 PM
  4. Neighbour wants a different colour - How to have a colorbond fence with 2 colours?
    By DaleBlack in forum Landscaping, Gardening & Outdoors
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 21st Jun 2009, 11:22 PM
  5. Replies: 38
    Last Post: 19th Feb 2008, 11:51 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •