Corona virus

Page 1 of 55 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 51 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 2721
  1. #1
    4K Club Member Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    13,412

    Default Corona virus

    STORY AT-A-GLANCE


    • As of January 27, 2020, China reported 2,835 confirmed cases of novel coronavirus-infected pneumonia (NCIP), including 76 deaths. The first case was reported in December 2019. Since then, cases have also been reported in the U.S., Canada, Australia, Japan, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, Taiwan, South Korea and France
    • Clinical manifestations of NCIP are consistent with viral pneumonia
    • The hysteria being drummed up follows a well-worn pattern where the population is kept in a state of fear about microbes so that drug companies can come to the rescue with yet another expensive (and potentially mandatory) drug or vaccine
    • In January 2018, China’s first biosecurity level 4 lab designed for the study of the world’s most dangerous pathogens opened its doors in Wuhan City, the epicenter of the current NCIP outbreak
    • October 18, 2019, Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security, the World Economic Forum and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation sponsored a pandemic preparedness exercise in New York, practicing for the emergence of a new fictional viral illness dubbed “coronavirus acute pulmonary syndrome”


    https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2020/02/04/novel-coronavirus.aspx

    Fear is the foundation of most government.
    John Adams

  2. #2
    2K Club Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    newcastle
    Posts
    2,152

    Default

    Its interesting how people who have enrolled in conspiracy theories in the past tend to enrol in more conspiracy theories - there is some tendency there. Joeseph Mercola is definately one of those - features on quackwatch quite a bit.

    I'm presuming the undercurrent of this article is that Bill Gates is actually Dr evil and has released a virsu on the world in order to cut the population and solve global warming....... ;D

  3. #3
    Community Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    7,166

    Default

    After reading the link and looking up Mercola I don't put much faith in his predictions especially when I got the the anti vaccine part.

    There is a lot we don't know about corona virus and that unknown is being fanned along by various media as well as social media.

    In both the short and long term I will not be visiting China.

  4. #4
    Resigned SilentButDeadly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Not here...
    Posts
    5,155

    Default Corona virus

    Given how awful Corona is until one hits it with lime juice which just about makes it palatable...perhaps that is the answer for this iteration of coronavirus?
    Joined RF in 2006...Resigned in 2020.

  5. #5
    1K Club Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Logan Qld
    Posts
    1,377

    Default


  6. #6
    1K Club Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Logan Qld
    Posts
    1,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bros View Post
    In both the short and long term I will not be visiting China.
    Won't be able to get back in if you do, Scomo has finally shut the door. A smart move though possibly a bit late. The tourism business is going to suffer, lots of young people working in hotels, restaurants etc will be out of work for a while.

    https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/nat...01-p53wvc.html

  7. #7
    Resigned SilentButDeadly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Not here...
    Posts
    5,155

    Default Corona virus

    Fear always makes the world a smaller and less interesting place...
    Joined RF in 2006...Resigned in 2020.

  8. #8
    7K Club Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    7,576

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PhilT2 View Post
    Won't be able to get back in if you do, ..

    https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/nat...01-p53wvc.html
    Umm, not quite... *Australian citizens, permanent residents and members of their immediate families will be exempt from the ban"

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    384

    Default

    While it's not end of days just yet something fast spreading has the potential to do a lot of damage. Especially if it mutates.
    I also certainly am not surprised that there are reports that a lot of deaths are not being attributed to it in China due to quick disposal of bodies without testing.
    Patients with 2019-nCoV infection, are presenting with a wide range of symptoms.Most seem to have mild disease, and about 20% appear to progress to severe disease, including pneumonia, respiratory failure and in some cases death.


    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails untitled1.jpg  

  10. #10
    4K Club Member Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    13,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pharmaboy2 View Post
    Its interesting how people who have enrolled in conspiracy theories in the past tend to enrol in more conspiracy theories - there is some tendency there. Joeseph [he means Joseph] Mercola is definately [ means definitely ] one of those - features on quackwatch quite a bit.

    I'm presuming the undercurrent of this article is that Bill Gates is actually Dr evil and has released a virsu [ meaning virus] on the world in order to cut the population and solve global warming....... ;D . [ he means ]
    Interesting. Since you are so well informed, can you kindly provide with the proof that this facts are actually wrong or never happened?
    I am not really interested in how you personally credit Mercola. I am sure you also dislike Donald Trump, Putin, the Queen, and Alan Jones, but I don't really give a toss.

    As of January 27, 2020, China reported 2,835 confirmed cases of novel coronavirus-infected pneumonia (NCIP), including 76 deaths. The first case was reported in December 2019. Since then, cases have also been reported in the U.S., Canada, Australia, Japan, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, Taiwan, South Korea and France. ... FACT OR FICTION???

    Clinical manifestations of NCIP are consistent with viral pneumonia. FACT OR FICTION?

    The hysteria being drummed up follows a well-worn pattern where the population is kept in a state of fear about microbes so that drug companies can come to the rescue with yet another expensive (and potentially mandatory) drug or vaccine FACT OR FICTION?

    In January 2018, China’s first biosecurity level 4 lab designed for the study of the world’s most dangerous pathogens opened its doors in Wuhan City, the epicenter of the current NCIP outbreak FACT OR FICTION?

    October 18, 2019, Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security, the World Economic Forum and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation sponsored a pandemic preparedness exercise in New York, practicing for the emergence of a new fictional viral illness dubbed “coronavirus acute pulmonary syndrome” FACT OR FICTION OR IS IT JUST AN UNFORTUNATE COINCIDENCE EXPLOITED BUT THE "EVIL MERCOLA WHO IS ON THE PAYROLL OF THE OIL INDUSTRY AND RECEIVES FUNDS FROM THE MASONS AND OPUS DEI NOT TO MENTION THE POPE" ???
    Fear is the foundation of most government.
    John Adams

  11. #11
    2K Club Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    newcastle
    Posts
    2,152

    Default

    https://www.factcheck.org/2020/01/ne...in-simulation/

    LOL, you are nothing if not entertaining Marc. You certainly dont give a toss about checking facts, and are happy to regurgitate waffle peddled by idiots who see everything as some grand conspiracy. thx for the laughs ;D

    https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs...urnalCode=sppa

  12. #12
    Community Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    7,166

    Default

    This came up on our local town FB site. The amount of discussion both fake and true around the various social media sites would be mind boggling.
    https://factcheck.afp.com/chinese-sp...HMdSvXoqImIGc4

  13. #13
    2K Club Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    newcastle
    Posts
    2,152

    Default

    there was a great podcast the other day from The Infinite Monkey Cage (Brian Cox et al) on conspiracy theorists - worth a listen Bros- but fact checking needs to be taught in schools, and also motivated reasoning etc etc. we all suffer from it, some acknowledgement of that is helpful, but these days everytime i read something that seems surprising or unlikely i check it out before believing it - straight away the blog at the top should be majorly surprising to any thinking human, then you choose if you check its veracity or swallow it.

    its very easy to construct cogent arguements that lead to a false conclusion.

  14. #14
    4K Club Member Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    13,412

    Default

    There was in fact an exercise (called “Event 201”) that took place in October that was hosted by the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security — which the Gates Foundation participated in — that focused on emergency preparedness in the event of a “very severe pandemic.” But it didn’t deal with 2019-nCoV, and it didn’t make real-life predictions about death tolls.
    No one said they made predictions. So it is a fact. The rest of the fluff is a lot of words to deflect heat. What else can they say?
    So that is for Dr Mercola's last point.

    I take it that you couldn't come up with anything for this further 4 points, short of your uneventful attempt at discredit a medical doctor with 20 years of experience in family practice and research. Are you a doctor? have some sort of association to medical fields? are you a pharmacist as your name suggests or is that just a plagiarism?


    As of January 27, 2020, China reported 2,835 confirmed cases of novel coronavirus-infected pneumonia (NCIP), including 76 deaths. The first case was reported in December 2019. Since then, cases have also been reported in the U.S., Canada, Australia, Japan, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, Taiwan, South Korea and France. ... FACT OR FICTION???

    Clinical manifestations of NCIP are consistent with viral pneumonia. FACT OR FICTION?

    The hysteria being drummed up follows a well-worn pattern where the population is kept in a state of fear about microbes so that drug companies can come to the rescue with yet another expensive (and potentially mandatory) drug or vaccine FACT OR FICTION?

    In January 2018, China’s first biosecurity level 4 lab designed for the study of the world’s most dangerous pathogens opened its doors in Wuhan City, the epicenter of the current NCIP outbreak FACT OR FICTION?
    Fear is the foundation of most government.
    John Adams

  15. #15
    2K Club Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    newcastle
    Posts
    2,152

    Default

    The reference to "corona virus" is clearly aimed at using a term which has a certain meaning today which is actually a generic term for a type of virus thats highly likely to be problematic for us into the future.

    Dr Mercola is not a respected scientist - he is "Joseph Michael Mercola is an alternative medicine proponent, osteopathic physician, and Internet businessman, who markets dietary supplements and medical devices, some of which are controversial. Until 2013, Mercola operated the "Dr. Mercola Natural Health Center"

    So your first one is fact - so what? Is a glib attempt to say, look 2 facts in a row, now the third conspiratorial bit of lunacy must also be a fact? LOL Its the third one which reveals the disconnect of the writer - oh noes, we know something about this threat, we plan for it, so it MUST be a conspiracy.

    I'm well enough educated in the area to know i dont know anything about it, and also well enough educated to know Dr Mercola is only interested in one thing and that isnt the science of viruses ;D

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Mercola

    he is an easy target though...... fish in a barrel

  16. #16
    1K Club Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Logan Qld
    Posts
    1,377

    Default

    I think it was Hume (1740) that first wrote about how we make decisions based on our feelings and afterwards go looking for facts to support the decision we have already made. Mercola is a perfect example of this.

  17. #17
    Community Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    7,166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PhilT2 View Post
    I think it was Hume (1740) that first wrote about how we make decisions based on our feelings and afterwards go looking for facts to support the decision we have already made.
    Isn’t that how government inquiries work? Here is the conclusion now get the evidence.

  18. #18
    2K Club Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    newcastle
    Posts
    2,152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PhilT2 View Post
    I think it was Hume (1740) that first wrote about how we make decisions based on our feelings and afterwards go looking for facts to support the decision we have already made. Mercola is a perfect example of this.
    yes and Google has made it easier than its ever been... Hume is all very highbrow, though my googling only uncovered Sir Francis Bacon,

    "“The human understanding, when it has once adopted an opinion draws all things … to support and agree with it. And though there be a greater number and weight of instances to be found on the other side, yet these it either neglects and despises or … sets aside and rejects in order that by this great and pernicious predetermination, the authority of its former conclusions may remain inviolate”. (Francis Bacon 1602)."

    Bros - that would be the great philosopher Sir Humphrey Appleby

  19. #19
    1K Club Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Logan Qld
    Posts
    1,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bros View Post
    Isn’t that how government inquiries work? Here is the conclusion now get the evidence.
    Without getting too political but recent events show evidence (or witnesses) are not needed to reach a conclusion.

  20. #20
    1K Club Member UseByDate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    1,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pharmaboy2 View Post

    "“The human understanding, when it has once adopted an opinion draws all things … to support and agree with it. And though there be a greater number and weight of instances to be found on the other side, yet these it either neglects and despises or … sets aside and rejects in order that by this great and pernicious predetermination, the authority of its former conclusions may remain inviolate”. (Francis Bacon 1602)."

    Not as catchy as my signature line.
    “What a fool believes, he sees. No wise man has the power to reason away”- The Doobie Brothers

  21. #21
    4K Club Member Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    13,412

    Default

    So tell me so called Pharma boy, are you able to contradict just one of the 5 points made in the initial post copied from Mercola, or are you going to beat around de bush encouraged by your claque?
    As far as your borrowed statements about human understanding and how we choose the facts that better match our values, you got it in one. It is undeniable for any thought process. YOurs and mine alike.
    When i quoted this and many other mechanism of our mind in another thread you and your compadres jumped up and down for a month.
    Funny hei ?
    Still waiting for you unequivocal proof that all those points made are just fabrication of evil Dr Mercola paid by the fossil fuel cartels..
    Fear is the foundation of most government.
    John Adams

  22. #22
    2K Club Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    newcastle
    Posts
    2,152

    Default

    "The hysteria being drummed up follows a well-worn pattern where the population is kept in a state of fear about microbes so that drug companies can come to the rescue with yet another expensive (and potentially mandatory) drug or vaccine"

    Anyone can read that and know its not a fact, its simply a statement of opinion with inbuilt conspiracies (especially given the context of the other points - it reads well for fellow conspiracists.

    The burden of proof lies with the person making the unfalsifiable claim, not for others to disprove. This is why conspiracists eroneously think they are super smart because their conspiracy cant be disproved because its unfalsifiable . The proposition that drug companies will come to the rescue with an expensive solution hasnt been proven, not even any evidence provided outside of a an anti vaxxer, alternative medicine self promoter saying it is so (sort of based on his past is exactly what opinion you'd expect him to provide).

    He has even added "potentially mandatory" - like wow, where in heavens name does that come from? oh, thats right, he is an anti vaxxer..........

    Youve made the claim - provide the proof

  23. #23
    4K Club Member Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    13,412

    Default

    October 18, 2019, Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security, the World Economic Forum and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation sponsored a pandemic preparedness exercise in New York, practicing for the emergence of a new fictional viral illness dubbed “coronavirus acute pulmonary syndrome”
    FACT

    The hysteria being drummed up follows a well-worn pattern where the population is kept in a state of fear about microbes so that drug companies can come to the rescue with yet another expensive (and potentially mandatory) drug or vaccine
    FACT

    That is a fact. Adorned with his opinion but still a fact. Media and governments feed on fear and this is one of the many we have seen. Swine flu. mad cow, etc. I don't subscribe to anti vax only because the benefit outnumber the dangers. He has his opinion, you have yours, based on your values that others have chosen for you and that you follow without knowing ... but that is another story.
    Two down 3 to go, you are not doing too well are you?
    So tell me the other 3 points are all a fabrication of mine are they?

    As of January 27, 2020, China reported 2,835 confirmed cases of novel coronavirus-infected pneumonia (NCIP), including 76 deaths. The first case was reported in December 2019. Since then, cases have also been reported in the U.S., Canada, Australia, Japan, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, Taiwan, South Korea and France. ... FACT OR FICTION???


    Clinical manifestations of NCIP are consistent with viral pneumonia. FACT OR FICTION?

    In January 2018, China’s first biosecurity level 4 lab designed for the study of the world’s most dangerous pathogens opened its doors in Wuhan City, the epicenter of the current NCIP outbreak FACT OR FICTION?

    As for your dance with the "conspiracy theory", have your fun but know that a reported fact needs no proof. An opinion may need confirmation, like your dismissal of Dr Mercola. I take his medical advice over yours any day. What is your authority in this field. Pharma boy?
    The medical establishment don't like him, they don't like any of the alternative medicine nor supplements who they claim make expensive urine. Old hat my boy, The Lancet, the most traditionalist medical publication you can quote and that I receive at home every month has changed his tune years ago.
    Fear is the foundation of most government.
    John Adams

  24. #24
    2K Club Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    newcastle
    Posts
    2,152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pharmaboy2 View Post


    So your first one is fact - so what? Is a glib attempt to say, look 2 facts in a row, now the third conspiratorial bit of lunacy must also be a fact? LOL Its the third one which reveals the disconnect of the writer - oh noes, we know something about this threat, we plan for it, so it MUST be a conspiracy.

    l
    Did you miss this one Marc? Whether they are facts or not doesnt hide that its written in a specific way to appeal to the ignorant to sell the third point, which is a grab from the sky. I hadnt bothered at the time to check whether there was a new lab in Wuhan or not, mainly because it didnt sound unlikely - the meeting i checked, though the addition of Bill Gates seems rather designed - whats the relevance of adding that in, if it isnt aimed at conspiracy?

    the set of facts dont however support the proposition. I mean, whats "consistant with viral pneumonia"supposed to mean?

  25. #25
    Resigned SilentButDeadly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Not here...
    Posts
    5,155

    Default Corona virus

    I'm assuming that, since this is a novel coronavirus and the common cold is also a coronavirus and we don't yet have a vaccine for the common cold, the anti-vaxxers are pretty safe from the rest of us in this case.

    Honestly, I'm looking forward to catching this flaming thing...just to get it over with.
    Joined RF in 2006...Resigned in 2020.

  26. #26
    4K Club Member Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    13,412

    Default

    I mean, whats "consistant with viral pneumonia"supposed to mean?

    (Nothing ... but you mean consistent right?)

    For someone that has the hight to criticise Dr Mercola, that should be a rather simple quiz to debunk. Plus you are a seasoned conspiracy theorist debunker ...

    be consistent with somethingif a fact, idea etc is consistent with another one, it seems to match it:
    Her injuries are consistent with having fallen from the building. ... The results are consistent with earlier research.

    Viral Pneumonia as opposed to bacterial pneumonia:
    https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...t-site&rss=yes
    Fear is the foundation of most government.
    John Adams

  27. #27
    Community Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    7,166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilentButDeadly View Post
    Honestly, I'm looking forward to catching this flaming thing...just to get it over with.
    Death wish?

  28. #28
    1K Club Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Logan Qld
    Posts
    1,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilentButDeadly View Post
    Honestly, I'm looking forward to catching this flaming thing...just to get it over with.
    Large private school less than a klick away from my place has just isolated eight of its students. Their foreign students usually homestay with local families but these were boarding at the school I think. If you don't hear from me in the next few days send beer.

    https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/nat...01-p53wu2.html

    But yes, catching it couldn't be much worse than reading this conspiracy crap.

  29. #29
    Resigned SilentButDeadly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Not here...
    Posts
    5,155

    Default Corona virus

    Quote Originally Posted by Bros View Post
    Death wish?
    It is my first world expectation that I will die in a few decades hence, deep in some soporific haze due to a preventable chronic disease due to my wonderful current lifestyle...
    Joined RF in 2006...Resigned in 2020.

  30. #30
    Community Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    7,166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilentButDeadly View Post
    It is my first world expectation that I will die in a few decades hence, deep in some soporific haze due to a preventable chronic disease due to my wonderful current lifestyle...
    A bloke I work with once told me he is not scared of dying as it happens to everyone but the how worries him.

  31. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Inner west, Sydney
    Posts
    329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bros View Post
    A bloke I work with once told me he is not scared of dying as it happens to everyone but the how worries him.
    Shouldn't this be not scared of "being dead" rather than "of dying"?

    I have a similar view, not keen on the 'journey' bit, particularly of being aware of being on the 'journey'.

  32. #32
    4K Club Member Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    13,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigboboz View Post
    Shouldn't this be not scared of "being dead" rather than "of dying"?

    I have a similar view, not keen on the 'journey' bit, particularly of being aware of being on the 'journey'.
    Strange comment. Being dead is when you are dead already, done and dusted. Dying is the process, the one you say to fear together with Bros' friend.
    Perfectly normal thought process, to fear the process of dying. Being dead already is a different concept. i actually look forward to such state when it will be a reality, i am really curious even when I prefer to delay the change over.
    Somehow I doubt the corona virus will be anything to fear more than all the previous strains of the flu.

    On a similar line ... this thread or rather the string of replies is a perfect example of fear of dying. The answers and their vitriol, is concentrated in denying or deflecting and in avoiding anything that reminds us of our mortality. Pointing fingers to "conspiracy theories" is a good strategy.
    "Marc made it all up"
    Fear is the foundation of most government.
    John Adams

  33. #33
    Resigned SilentButDeadly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Not here...
    Posts
    5,155

    Default Corona virus

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    On a similar line ... this thread or rather the string of replies is a perfect example of fear of dying. The answers and their vitriol, is concentrated in denying or deflecting and in avoiding anything that reminds us of our mortality. Pointing fingers to "conspiracy theories" is a good strategy.
    That is the 2nd funniest thing I've read all week.
    Joined RF in 2006...Resigned in 2020.

  34. #34
    3K Club Member johnc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Sale
    Age
    65
    Posts
    3,893

    Default

    For goodness sake don't take life too seriously after all nobody gets out of this alive. I'm not into the suffering part, quick and clean for me thanks.

  35. #35
    Community Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    7,166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Somehow I doubt the corona virus will be anything to fear more than all the previous strains of the flu.
    Lets get back to the virus and I think you may be right. Casting my mind back 50 yrs and there was no vaccine for the flu only for the childhood diseases. I would also add that we are more mobile now than 50 yrs ago and viruses were slow to spread.

    My parents used to blame the show when that came to town so did the flu and all the other respiratory diseases but they would come in July without the show these would be normal in society.

    Maybe we have become softer now but who would want to go back to no vaccine time.

  36. #36
    7K Club Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    7,576

    Default

    It is freedom/ease of travel, incubation period, the attractiveness to others of "what makes this nation great", exchange rate for tourism and lack of vaccine that makes this virus a little more worrisome than "50 years ago"

  37. #37
    3K Club Member johnc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Sale
    Age
    65
    Posts
    3,893

    Default

    The combination of the fires with the loss of the incoming Chinese tourists will have a solid hit on the economy that is for sure.

  38. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Inner west, Sydney
    Posts
    329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Strange comment. Being dead is when you are dead already, done and dusted. Dying is the process, the one you say to fear together with Bros' friend.
    Perfectly normal thought process, to fear the process of dying. Being dead already is a different concept. i actually look forward to such state when it will be a reality, i am really curious even when I prefer to delay the change over.
    Somehow I doubt the corona virus will be anything to fear more than all the previous strains of the flu.

    On a similar line ... this thread or rather the string of replies is a perfect example of fear of dying. The answers and their vitriol, is concentrated in denying or deflecting and in avoiding anything that reminds us of our mortality. Pointing fingers to "conspiracy theories" is a good strategy.
    "Marc made it all up"
    Pretty sure 2% mortality rate is more to worry about than the common flu, probably over stated as cases are under reported but still higher. I've still booked to go skiing after it all blew up, I'm not stressed but I'm not going to pretend it's the same as the flu! In any event, catching either will spoil my trip!

    What's your point about point fingers to conspiracy theories? Isn't that exactly what your original post was about?

  39. #39
    1K Club Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Logan Qld
    Posts
    1,377

    Default

    Secret undercover camera footage of anti-vax researchers at work. Stolen from The Millenium Project


  40. #40
    4K Club Member Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    13,412

    Default

    https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...reak-s-origins

    In the absence of clear conclusions about the outbreak’s origin, theories thrive, and some have been scientifically shaky. A sequence analysis led by Wei Ji of Peking University and published online by the Journal of Medical Virology received substantial press coverage when it suggested that “snake is the most probable wildlife animal reservoir for the 2019‐nCoV.” Sequence specialists, however, pilloried it.

    Conspiracy theories also abound. A CBC News report about the Canadian government deporting Chinese scientists who worked in a Winnipeg lab that studies dangerous pathogens was distorted on social media to suggest that they were spies who had smuggled out coronaviruses. The Wuhan Institute of Virology, which is the premier lab in China that studies bat and human coronaviruses, has also come under fire. “Experts debunk fringe theory linking China’s coronavirus to weapons research,” read a headline on a story in The Washington Post that focused on the facility.
    Concerns about the institute predate this outbreak. Nature ran a story in 2017 about it building a new biosafety level 4 lab and included molecular biologist Richard Ebright of Rutgers University, Piscataway, expressing concerns about accidental infections, which he noted repeatedly happened with lab workers handling SARS in Beijing. Ebright, who has a long history of raising red flags about studies with dangerous pathogens, also in 2015 criticized an experiment in which modifications were made to a SARS-like virus circulating in Chinese bats to see whether it had the potential to cause disease in humans. Earlier this week, Ebright questioned the accuracy of Bedford’s calculation that there are at least 25 years of evolutionary distance between RaTG13—the virus held in the Wuhan virology institute—and 2019-nCoV, arguing that the mutation rate may have been different as it passed through different hosts before humans. Ebright tells ScienceInsider that the 2019-nCoV data are “consistent with entry into the human population as either a natural accident or a laboratory accident.”
    Shi did not reply to emails from Science, but her longtime collaborator, disease ecologist Peter Daszak of the EcoHealth Alliance, dismissed Ebright’s conjecture. “Every time there’s an emerging disease, a new virus, the same story comes out: This is a spillover or the release of an agent or a bioengineered virus,” Daszak says. “It’s just a shame. It seems humans can’t resist controversy and these myths, yet it’s staring us right in the face. There’s this incredible diversity of viruses in wildlife and we’ve just scratched the surface. Within that diversity, there will be some that can infect people and within that group will be some that cause illness.”

    [It is blatantly clear that we will never know how this virus breached the gap between animals and humans, or if it actually escaped accidentally from the lab. Chinese authorities are underplaying the severity of the outbreak and minimising it's danger as reported by chinese citizens. A regime that thinks nothing of downing a plane full of passengers to kill one person they dislike, is not one to be trusted. ]
    Fear is the foundation of most government.
    John Adams

  41. #41
    4K Club Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Kangaroo Island
    Posts
    4,248

    Default

    Astounding convulsions in a thread about a virus, to introduce the shooting down an airliner with the objective of slurring one particular nation. There's plenty of evidence that regimes of all flavours are implicated in shooting down airliners.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...down_incidents
    Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it necessary, it is true, does it improve on the silence? - Baba

  42. #42
    4K Club Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Kangaroo Island
    Posts
    4,248

    Default

    Every year an estimated 290,000 to 650,000 people die in the world due to complications from seasonal influenza (flu) viruses.

    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
    Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it necessary, it is true, does it improve on the silence? - Baba

  43. #43
    Community Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    7,166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...reak-s-origins

    In the absence of clear conclusions about the outbreak’s origin, theories thrive, and some have been scientifically shaky. A sequence analysis led by Wei Ji of Peking University and published online by the Journal of Medical Virology received substantial press coverage when it suggested that “snake is the most probable wildlife animal reservoir for the 2019‐nCoV.” Sequence specialists, however, pilloried it.

    Conspiracy theories also abound. A CBC News report about the Canadian government deporting Chinese scientists who worked in a Winnipeg lab that studies dangerous pathogens was distorted on social media to suggest that they were spies who had smuggled out coronaviruses. The Wuhan Institute of Virology, which is the premier lab in China that studies bat and human coronaviruses, has also come under fire. “Experts debunk fringe theory linking China’s coronavirus to weapons research,” read a headline on a story in The Washington Post that focused on the facility.
    ]
    A couple of short paragraphs and a link to the article would be sufficient. After wading through the link it makes interesting reading with no answers. I notice they focus on bats, it has been the case here as bats seem to be carriers of very deadly viruses eg Hendra and Lissa virus and the strange part they only eat good food.

  44. #44
    Community Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    7,166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John2b View Post
    Astounding convulsions in a thread about a virus, to introduce the shooting down an airliner with the objective of slurring one particular nation.
    Where did that gem come from?

  45. #45
    4K Club Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Kangaroo Island
    Posts
    4,248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bros View Post
    Where did that gem come from?
    #40 Did you give up before you got to the end?
    Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it necessary, it is true, does it improve on the silence? - Baba

  46. #46
    1K Club Member DavoSyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bros View Post
    Where did that gem come from?
    good question, with the posting style that Marc adopts it is hard to tell if/where his copy-pasta text from a external website stops and morphs into his own opinion.

    and wasn't this covered in another thread?

    it seemed quite important (at that time) that the correct attribution of quoted text to other people was necessary?
    freedom of expression freedom from consequences...

  47. #47
    2K Club Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    newcastle
    Posts
    2,152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John2b View Post
    Astounding convulsions in a thread about a virus, to introduce the shooting down an airliner with the objective of slurring one particular nation. There's plenty of evidence that regimes of all flavours are implicated in shooting down airliners.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...down_incidents
    That last paragraph is Marc's own addition - well at least it doesnt appear in the link posted.

    On the whole the article linked to seems like science and unbiased - read the whole thing, it does demonstrate the difficulties in identifying where these viruses have come from.

    As always though, the context of the quoted passage is very important, and is why reading the whole article is equally important.

  48. #48
    4K Club Member Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    13,412

    Default

    What do you know. Good on you pharmaboy2 ... for the rest, it is a well known convention to place a note or clarifying comment in square brackets to make it clear it is not part of the quote.
    Besides in a scientific study about virus, a comment about the murderous nature of communism and allusion to the Byzantine nature of Chinese politics should be easy to detach from the text. Usually anyway. On the other hand ( the left one) allegiancies can be blinding.
    Fear is the foundation of most government.
    John Adams

  49. #49
    Community Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    7,166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pharmaboy2 View Post
    That last paragraph is Marc's own addition - well at least it doesnt appear in the link posted.
    That's why I didn't find it as I read the link quoted and it was to me a fair assessment with many unknowns and may forever remain that way

  50. #50
    Community Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    7,166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    What do you know. Good on you pharmaboy2 ... for the rest, it is a well known convention to place a note or clarifying comment in square brackets to make it clear it is not part of the quote.
    Were unconventional here.

Page 1 of 55 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 51 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Norton Virus Protection
    By Marc in forum Television, Computers & Phones
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 20th May 2019, 06:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •