Electric cars

Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,500 of 1574

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    PS
    Still awaiting for the cars that were supposed to fly in the year 2000 ...
    Done!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL4Gf2ydq2U
    “What a fool believes, he sees. No wise man has the power to reason away”- The Doobie Brothers

4K Club Member

Marc is correct, I drive an electric car to save money. I imported a BEV from Japan. I could have imported an ICE at a similar saving on local purchase price, but that wouldn't save money on running costs - der!

Don't forget that fossil fuel companies and ICE manufacturers never profiteered. They only do everything selflessly for the good of others even if that means spending $trillions of guvmint money annually through industry subsidies worldwide.
    Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it necessary, it is true, does it improve on the silence? - Baba

Default Electric cars

I’ve been reading some of these posts.

Why does everyone try to force their opinion onto everyone else.

Buy the car you want and let everyone else buy the car they want. No one needs to justify their decisions. ICE drivers aren’t trying to kill the planet and BEV drivers aren’t trying necessarily to save it.

ICE vs BEV aren’t religions or political parties or football teams.

If someone wants me to buy a new cordless drill to replace a corded one I might say yes if my old one needs replacing or no if it still does the job. simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Pulse View Post

Buy the car you want and let everyone else buy the car they want. No one needs to justify their decisions. ICE drivers aren’t trying to kill the planet and BEV drivers aren’t trying necessarily to save it.

If someone wants me to buy a new cordless drill to replace a corded one I might say yes if my old one needs replacing or no if it still does the job. simple.
    Finally the only post that makes any sense
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir

Ahhh, but what friggin football team do you support and what mode of transport do you use to get there!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bart1080 View Post
    Ahhh, but what friggin football team do you support and what mode of transport do you use to get there!!!!
    What is it with football and Victoria, I swear all my Victorian mates do, it either talk about football, or go out for coffee and only talk about football.
    In Sydney we don't talk too much footy as we have a lot of other things to do than just go to the footy

Is there nothing else to do in Victoria except talk about footy ?

Quote Originally Posted by METRIX View Post
    ....Metrix, really!! ...are you even an Aussie? of coarse there is, what's the best beverage to drink whilst watching the footy and did "Bluey" bring the home made salami

Funny thing is I'm a very casual follower, watch only a handful of match's but are flogging the future son in law at the footy tipping this year...at the moment.

7K Club Member

What is it with football and Victoria, I swear all my Victorian mates do, it either talk about football, or go out for coffee and only talk about football.
    In Sydney we don't talk too much footy as we have a lot of other things to do than just go to the footy

It's just that we prefer the footy actually worth talking about

In theory you should be correct. In reality you know you are not. Anything that is remotely related to the environment is a religion/political party/football team. Fact.
    Far from being a simple consumer decision, some of the electric car users, just like recycling or composting, see themselves as something special ... not only that, but resent those who don't dwell on the same fringe. Not everyone, sure, but it is clearly a common trend. When this fringe of loonies manages to infiltrate government decisions, I take exception.
    The 'common good' invoked by the renewables big con and the electric-marvel.com is no different from the common good promoted by the Spanish inquisition.
    Fear is the foundation of most government.
    John Adams

In theory you should be correct. In reality you know you are not. Anything that is remotely related to the environment is a religion/political party/football team. Fact.
    Far from being a simple consumer decision, some of the electric car users, just like recycling or composting, see themselves as something special ... not only that, but resent those who don't dwell on the same fringe. Not everyone, sure, but it is clearly a common trend. When this fringe of loonies manages to infiltrate government decisions, I take exception.
    The 'common good' invoked by the renewables big con and the electric-marvel.com is no different from the common good promoted by the Spanish inquisition.
    I think you just outed yourself Marc

Free charging stations everyone! Yea
    https://youtu.be/9S4C_jAzcRQ
    John Adams

Free charging stations everyone! Yea
    https://youtu.be/9S4C_jAzcRQ
    Road tax tax for flying cars. What next?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WF-niy9_Fc
    “What a fool believes, he sees. No wise man has the power to reason away”- The Doobie Brothers

Quote Originally Posted by UseByDate View Post
    Road tax tax for flying cars. What next?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WF-niy9_Fc
    They still have to land

The Master's Apprentice Bedford's Avatar

They still have to land
    So then they'd hit you with land tax as well I suppose.
    Posted by John2b, And no, BEVs are not going to save the planet, which doesn't need saving anyway.

4K Club Member

There's more than $10billion in fossil energy subsidies in the recently announced federal budget. That's about $10,000 per oil burner vehicle sold annually, or more than 100 times the total subsidies given to electric vehicles. Australia needs a political spin tax; we could all retire as tax exempt millionaires.
    Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it necessary, it is true, does it improve on the silence? - Baba

Quote Originally Posted by John2b View Post
    There's more than $10billion in fossil energy subsidies in the recently announced federal budget. That's about $10,000 per oil burner vehicle sold annually, or more than 100 times the total subsidies given to electric vehicles. Australia needs a political spin tax; we could all retire as tax exempt millionaires.
    John, I might need some explanation as nearly all of what you say comes from the fuel tax credit scheme, yes!?

1K Club Member

Some people need an electric car.
    Man in Florida filled up containers of petrol and put them in the back of his Hummer, got back in and went to light up a smoke before driving off.....
    https://crooksandliars.com/2021/05/f...mer-4-5-gallon

This is Canada, but the usual suspects copy each other to a t.
    https://www.energycitizens.ca/2021/0...uel-subsidies/
    Once a month, an activist group comes forward with a report, grasping at straws, trying to prove that somehow Canada’s natural gas and oil industry is heavily subsidized. They bundle in all sorts of government spending and call it a ‘subsidy’
    This month, we have noted anti-development organization, Environmental Defense, releasing a ‘report’ claiming that the government subsidized the natural gas and oil sector to the tune of $18 billion in 2020.
    As for PhilT ... nice find. I suppose the word Hummer, Florida, and Gallons caught your eye. Do you have an app for that?
    Would it be as attractive if it was a Vespa, driven by a Mexican smoking a durry that caught fire?
    Electric cars are way safer, they never catch fire.

Oh well ... up I go to the servo, to fill up with 31 gallons of diesel in the 4wd, and fill up my 44 gallons drum for the boat, tied up inthe box trailer, also full with feed for the horses.
    It's a hard life!

PS
    Do they make electric horses to avoid their lethal farts?

John Adams

4K Club Member

According to this morning's Sydney Morning Herald Scott Morrison will announce today a $2.4 billion subsidy for Australia’s two remaining oil refineries, comprised of a ~$2.1 billion, per litre subsidy and ~$300 million for major infrastructure upgrades. The government will also work with refineries on their rollout of future fuels, such as electric vehicle charging...

No... I didn't make this up!

4K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    John, I might need some explanation as nearly all of what you say comes from the fuel tax credit scheme, yes!?
    I just read the headline and a few lines. It's is probably half true. In any case a fuel tax credit is a subsidy, pure and simple, just like the $ billions paid by govmint for healthcare for people with respiratory illnesses caused by ICE emissions is a subsidy, as the money comes from our wallets, not the fossil energy industry's revenues.

4K Club Member

I get the need for the ability to maintain a strategic reserve of fuel, it is about a decade late tho.
    "A big boy did it and ran away"

Legal disclaimer denying responsibility to be inserted here.

In any case a fuel tax credit is a subsidy, pure and simple
    Plenty will disagree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Moondog55 View Post
    I get the need for the ability to maintain a strategic reserve of fuel, it is about a decade late tho.
    Not at all! We have plenty of Eveready batteries. We can fling them to the chinese using slingshots ( made in china)
    John Adams

1K Club Member

Strategic reserve....

According to this morning's Sydney Morning Herald Scott Morrison will announce today a $2.4 billion subsidy for Australia’s two remaining oil refineries, comprised of a ~$2.1 billion per litre
    Goodness, that much?

No... I didn't make this up!
    But you posted it......
    Posted by John2b, And no, BEVs are not going to save the planet, which doesn't need saving anyway.

Whoever things that protecting fuel production and reserves is a "subsidy" needs his head examined.
    Is the Navy, a subsidy to fisheries?
    Curry imports a subsidy to toilet paper manufacturers?

By the way, if electric vehicles had any relevance to everyday life and if defence had any use for electric vehicles, they would get help to stay viable too.

The way it is today, they are nothing but an unnecessary, superfluous, feel good gadget.
    John Adams

7K Club Member

I saw the new Volvo ad last night. They are going full electric to tackle "our biggest test" - Climate Change! (iceberg melting into the ocean and all)

4K Club Member

Funny I thought that Defence were using electric vehicles for many small purposes around some very expensive hardware. I must be mistaken

I love it.
    The atmosphere contains 0.04% CO2 ... 97% made by nature. 3% by humans. Of that 3%, Australia contributes 1.5%, that is Australia contributes 0.045% of anthropogenic CO2
    So that is mm 0.000018% of total CO2 is made by us ... yes exactly. We must all drive electric volvo or else ... the sky is falling ... aaaaaah

And if batteries need protecting for strategic needs, I am sure they will be. As it is now, they have gargantuan grants and subsidies just because they are saving the planet from mmm what exactly ?
    John Adams

Funny I thought that Defence were using electric vehicles for many small purposes around some very expensive hardware. I must be mistaken
    You are mistaken Moon, and you are being facetious. If you think Defence needs to secure supply of batteries, you should suggest this to Peter Dutton. The lack of reserves of fuel and storage capacity is criminal, and any step to restore some of that is welcome and should be free of partisan rubbish.
    John Adams

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has announced a $2 billion fuel security package aimed at keeping Australia’s last remaining oil refineries live while saving 1200 jobs.
    The security package will involve a 1.8 cent per litre support payment for refined fuel in Australia over the next nine years

4K Club Member

By the way, if electric vehicles had any relevance to everyday life and if defence had any use for electric vehicles, they would get help to stay viable too.
    The armed forces are on the ball; electrification of military vehicles is already happening because of the obvious benefits they have in stealth and ease of in the field maintenance.

"Electric engines would be quieter in tactical settings and also simpler to maintain since they require far fewer parts than combustion engines. The technology also could increase the operational range of current vehicles, but one challenge the Army must overcome is how electric vehicles can be recharged reliably in remote battlefield settings."

https://www.nationaldefensemagazine....cle-technology

4K Club Member

The atmosphere contains 0.04% CO2 ... 97% made by nature. 3% by humans.
    Nope; C02 is now >420 ppm, C02 levels in 1880 at the start of the industrial revolution were 290.

So .04% can't make a difference to how a volume of molecules behaves? Wrong. It takes less than 0.0001% of an impurity to turn insulated crystalline silicon derived from beach sand into the semiconductors that are the building blocks of electronics, computers, LED lights, etc.

4K Club Member

The lack of reserves of fuel and storage capacity is criminal, and any step to restore some of that is welcome and should be free of partisan rubbish.
    The lack of reserve is a direct consequence of free market economics and the removal of industry regulations that started in the 1980s with the advent of neoliberalism. There is no profit to be had from reserves so why would any company want to have reserves?

4K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bedford View Post
    The security package will involve a 1.8 cent per litre support payment for refined fuel in Australia over the next nine years]
    On the news tonight, the guvmint claims the $2.4 billion subsidy will protect 1250 jobs - that's nearly $2,000,000 subsidy per job!

The profit margin for refineries over the last couple of years is between 1½ and 2 cents per litre; this $2 billion subsidy doubles their profit. Who here would object if the guvmint gave them $1 for every $1 earned? In fact, to be equitable to all Australians the guvmint should immediately subsidise everyone to double their income.

On the news tonight, the guvmint claims the $2.4 billion subsidy will protect 1250 jobs - that's nearly $2,000,000 subsidy per job!
    I think you missed this bit,

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has announced a $2 billion fuel security package aimed at keeping Australia’s last remaining oil refineries live while saving 1200 jobs.
    He's not funding jobs, he's saving them.

Relax, they'll fund it from a road tax on electric cars anyway.

4K Club Member

Actually Marc Defence uses a lot of Huge batteries.
    In submarines.
    A little levity is needed in this thread

4K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bedford View Post
    I think you missed this bit
    Nope, totally understood Moronison's playing with semantics.

But Labour supports it too.

Morrison has been caught out, he had been told Australia needs to step up to the plate in 2018 on fuel reserves or he can't play with the big boys. We then bought 98M in oil and let the US hold it over there not on our own soil. This isn't so much about jobs but lowering the vunerability of Australia to oil supply shocks. We rely heavily on refined overseas petroleum product and on the governments watch we have come very close to the loss of all our refineries. As it stands Australian refineries can only produce a tiny amount of demand. we have onshore reserves that may last 30 to 50 days if there was a hault to OS deliveries, this new plan really isn't for petrol, it's diesel. Not much of a plan really, not much added storage and a massive price tag. It's those left wing, chardonay sipping, crushed avocado munching happy clappers that have taken over the Liberal party that have caused this problem, time for the revolution.

FWIW Defence have an electric ATV as well as everready run submarines.

7K Club Member

All this talk about fossil fuel deals designed to help us survive in times of international crisis is distracting from how lithium chloride is no longer available to sanitise my spa due to all these bloody "battery roosters" paying over the odds for the raw product

Actually Marc Defence uses a lot of Huge batteries.
    In submarines.
    A little levity is needed in this thread
    Ha ha Moon ... do you know how do they recharge the batteries in a sub?
    And how do they recharge the batteries in those experimental electric vehicles ?
    Yes my friend, they use DIESEL.
    So it is OIL and DIESEL and REFINERIES that need to be protected ... among other things of course, like pots and pans for example

John ... so CO2 is 'now' 0.042 and not 0.04? Really ... catastrophic indeed. The fraud of global warming is the biggest con ever perpetuated. If there is a change that must be contemplated seriously is cooling not warming. No one survives an ice age.

r3nov8tor, I use bromide in the spa. Needs much less than lithium. One tablet is all it takes for a 2000L spa.
    John Adams

7K Club Member

r3nov8tor, I use bromide in the spa. Needs much less than lithium. One tablet is all it takes for a 2000L spa.
    We digress, but I only use lithium, after using the spa, to supplement ozone sanitation

4K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    But Labour supports it too.
    bacc713b7b670bed0e4500f7e8744904be6001be.jpg

4K Club Member

I guess that means we need solar powered submarines

Community Moderator

I use bromide in the spa.
    Only a myth that it reduces sexual libido so try something else.

Ha ha, not a myth. Potassium Bromide (KBr) is an old sedative and in higher doses can inhibit the erection mechanism.
    The spa sanitiser is 1-Bromo-3chloro-5,5-dimethylhydantoin is insoluble in water yet reacts slowly with it, producing hypochlorous and hypobromous acid that kills bacteria.

The hypobromous acid BrOH is happy to release the OH- and float away on its on as Br+ in water, but to get to a therapeutic dose of 3-9gr I would have to drink about 1000 l of water in one go. Rather unlikely
    John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by r3nov8or View Post
    We digress, but I only use lithium, after using the spa, to supplement ozone sanitation
    Has the added benefit of managing manic depression, I'm told stale urine will also help kill the bugs.

7K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnc View Post
    Has the added benefit of managing manic depression, I'm told stale urine will also help kill the bugs.
    Fresh is always best

Fresh urine or fresh manic depression?
    John Adams

Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 LastLast