Electric cars

Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,550 of 1589
    7K Club Member

I'm outta whiskey. Need a lithium spa

Quote Originally Posted by Moondog55 View Post
    I guess that means we need solar powered submarines
    Our dear own Albanese would agree with you wholeheartedly. He was the one telling us his vision of the future " electric cars recharging at home overnight on solar panels."
    Fear is the foundation of most government.
    John Adams

4K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Our dear own Albanese would agree with you wholeheartedly. He was the one telling us his vision of the future " electric cars recharging at home overnight on solar panels."
    Not what he said, but don't worry if it fits your ideology. Because there are solar panels on a house's roof does not mean the house does not have power overnight - doh! Most people who own BEVs already do what Albanese actually said, which is have solar panels on their roof and charge their car overnight.
    Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it necessary, it is true, does it improve on the silence? - Baba

That is exactly what he said. Sure, you can charge batteries that will then charge the car "overnight", or you can send the power to the net, get a rebate and charge it on coal fired power "overnight". The great fallacy is that it is FOR FREE. Nothing is free. The only thing free is the air he is warming as he burps out nonsense. The solar panels are paid by the taxpayer if he wants it or not, and the rest is paid by the homeowner. If he was silly enough to buy batteries, he will pay double. when he installs them and when he needs to replace them, not to mention dispose of them ... oh well ... most likely someone will put his hand up to pay for disposal (with other people's money) to save the planet.

https://www.michaelsmithnews.com/2021/04/therapeutic-albaneses-solar-panels-charging-the-electric-car-overnight.html
    John Adams

The Master's Apprentice Bedford's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John2b View Post
    Not what he said,
    Yes it was,

Quote Originally Posted by Bedford View Post
    The future, "solar panels on your roof charging your vehicle for free overnight."

https://twitter.com/i/status/1377455903079731200

Posted by John2b, And no, BEVs are not going to save the planet, which doesn't need saving anyway.

4K Club Member

Well it is free once the costs of the panels and battery are amortised.
    It depends on the lifespan of the battery and the lifespan of the solar panels. Which should get better as time goes on
    "A big boy did it and ran away"

Legal disclaimer denying responsibility to be inserted here.

Well it is free once the costs of the panels and battery are amortised.
    It depends on the lifespan of the battery and the lifespan of the solar panels. Which should get better as time goes on
    Sure, like everything. What you must consider is that the real cost is not what the homeowner paid. It is way higher and unlikely to cover the real cost in its useful life time. In other words ... it's a con.
    John Adams

4K Club Member

Yes it was,
    You left out the pause. Changing the meaning of what other people say is an amusing pass-time for some.
    Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it necessary, it is true, does it improve on the silence? - Baba

4K Club Member

Charging BEVs overnight could add years of financially viability to ancient fossil energy 'base load' generators which can't respond to changes in demand and need to be kept stoked and smoking overnight when there's no market for the electricity they produce.

Yes John ... in you bubble, the electricity demand goes to bed with the domestic consumer. Good night, see ya tomorrow. (the fat lady sings and it is curtains)
    John Adams

4K Club Member

So the scomornic guvmint is going to spend precious tax revenue on a new gas fired electricity generator, foregoing spending on health care, aged care, vaccine rollouts, education, etc, etc. The guvmint spending on generation will obviously distort the privatised energy market and create disincentive barriers for market driven private generators; gas is by far the most expensive form of electricity generation per kWh in Australia today.

The formidable fossil lobby has been out recently spruiking the importance of the gas industry for pharmaceuticals, plastics, fertilisers, etc. What sort of brain malfunction does it take to promote the burning to extinction such a precious and limited resource? It must be called TMCD, the Taylor Moronison cognition defect.

Meanwhile in a southern state which has the greatest penetration of rooftop solar and yet by far the cheapest wholesale electricity prices in Australia, excess solar electricity is being used to electrolyse hydrogen, to be blended into the natural gas network reducing reliance on fossil gas. The fact that this process, along with pumped hydro and battery, is yet another way to store solar energy is no doubt going to go over the heads of fossil ideologues.

4K Club Member

Yes John ... in you bubble, the electricity demand goes to bed with the domestic consumer.
    Not my bubble, I'm not grid connected. In your bubble, electricity demand does go to bed with the domestic consumer. Look at 3am in the National Energy Market demand curves (hint: the curve starts at midnight):

screen-shot-2021-05-20-8.16.47-am.jpg

Community Moderator

Meanwhile in a southern state which has the greatest penetration of rooftop solar and yet by far the cheapest wholesale electricity prices in Australia, excess solar electricity is being used to electrolyse hydrogen,.
    And what state is that?

Community Moderator

Not my bubble, I'm not grid connected. In your bubble, electricity demand does go to bed with the domestic consumer. Look at 3am in the National Energy Market demand curves:

Attachment 129053
    Ever heard of averaging?

....no market for the electricity they produce.
    Sure there is,and plenty of people use it.

4K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    Sure there is,and plenty of people use it.
    Overnight fossil electricity generators have traditionally struggled to find enough customers to be able to economically manage their excess generation, since in particular coal fired boilers take hours to adjust to changes in demand and adjusting is an inefficient and expensive process. Charging electric vehicles overnight is beneficial to the grid; everyone benefits, even the luddites who don't believe in battery electric cars or battery tools. Just as off peak rates have encouraged other users to stay switched on, or even turn on, like hot water heaters and some electricity intensive industries.

4K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bros View Post
    Ever heard of averaging?
    I am not sure how averaging helps the fact that electricity demand is minimum at 3am. Electricity generators boiling water with fires struggle to balance generation with load. Funny that water boiling steam engines are not used for traction engines or locomotives anymore for that very reason, but some bright spark thinks they are good for electricity; must have TMCD.

Regardless of John's peculiar rhetoric, the fact remains that it is as irrelevant as commenting on which one is the dominant paw of the local rabbit population.

The only factor that gives so called renewables a tinge of validity, is the fallacy that CO2 is a danger to the planet. Denounce the demonisation of CO2 for what it is, a FRAUD, and the market will take care of how we produce electricity, and not lefty ideologues, green cheer leaders, and teenagers with mental issues.

The byproduct of this farce are the electric cars. If they step up the technology to compete on equal ground with petrol or diesel, no objections. As it is they push for a place in the market by claiming a status that is false on many fronts. They are not better for the environment, if all factors are considered honestly they are in fact worse.

The global warming comedy show, costs trillions upon trillions that deserve a better cause. As it is, they go in the coffers of a suspect minority that benefits from the myths, legends and assorted lies pedalled by the unsuspecting useful idiots of the day.
    John Adams

4K Club Member

And what state is that?
    Electricity prices per MWh by region for Q4 2020:
    https://www.aer.gov.au/news-release/...s-fell-in-2020

Supply of renewable hydrogen blended gas to homes via existing networks:
    https://www.agig.com.au/hydrogen-park-south-australia

4K Club Member

Regardless of John's peculiar rhetoric...
    ...which is basing decisions on economics and utility, not planet saving climate action, i.e. use the appropriate tool for the job - doh!

The Master's Apprentice Bedford's Avatar

You left out the pause. Changing the meaning of what other people say is an amusing pass-time for some.
    I didn't leave anything out, it is exactly what he said on April Fools day.

Stop making stuff up John.
    Posted by John2b, And no, BEVs are not going to save the planet, which doesn't need saving anyway.

4K Club Member

Bedford, why would you quote stuff on your byline from people who you reckon make it up? By your own reasoning the statement you are quoting is probably false.

Community Moderator

Electricity prices per MWh by region for Q4 2020:
    https://www.aer.gov.au/news-release/...s-fell-in-2020
    I notice you can't say it maybe embarrassed by the highest retail price in the NEM, wholesale price means nothing to the user just what they pay

Community Moderator

since in particular coal fired boilers take hours to adjust to changes in demand
    Complete rubbish.

Community Moderator

I am not sure how averaging helps the fact that electricity demand is minimum at 3am.
    Average all the curves out for 3am there has been little change and the contributors to the generation at 3 am are the coal fired generators.

4K Club Member

Bros, by all means misquote, misconstrue and ignore the context of posts, mine and others. That way you can keep your personal flat earth reality going a bit longer.

Everyone knows that wholesale prices do not determine retail prices - doh! You might ask which state has the greatest transmission structure in kilometres per customer?

4K Club Member

Average all the curves out for 3am there has been little change and the contributors to the generation at 3 am are the coal fired generators.
    Which says nothing about daily (hour on hour) demand variations, which is what my post was about.

4K Club Member

Complete rubbish.
    I suspect we are talking about tow different things. Sure the steam output of a fire heated hot water boiler producing steam to turn a turbine can 'throttled' to control output almost immediately. But that is not balancing supply with load in the bigger picture, which is balancing the thermal input to the boilers with the electrical load exiting the plant. That takes days for nuclear power plant and hours for coal, and that's a well known, established fact of electrical power plant engineering, not a subject of opinion or debate. In an extreme but valid example, a plant starts with cold water in the boilers. How long until it is generating electricity, let alon in any condition to be balancing load with generation?

4K Club Member

I didn't leave anything out, it is exactly what he said on April Fools day.

The transcript he was reading has a comma, the video of the interview linked has a pause -watch it- and the meaning of what he is is indisputable unless some pedant wants to make out it means something different. And just to prove a point thousands of households across Australia are already doing what he said.

I am always being told that the things I do every day cannot be done. I don't believe the people who tell me that. I think they are making stuff up, but there you go some people who haven't done things seem to know a lot about the things they have never done!

Community Moderator

Everyone knows that wholesale prices do not determine retail prices - doh!
    I am one of the everyone as I have no idea maybe someone else does.

They are part of the retail price though, along with poles and wires and all the rest of it.

Community Moderator

I suspect we are talking about tow different things. Sure the steam output of a fire heated hot water boiler producing steam to turn a turbine can 'throttled' to control output almost immediately. But that is not balancing supply with load in the bigger picture, which is balancing the thermal input to the boilers with the electrical load exiting the plant.
    Coal fired plant has no problems balancing generation with demand, happens all the time.

The transcript he was reading has a comma, the video of the interview linked has a pause -watch it- and the meaning of what he is is indisputable unless some pedant wants to make out it means something different. And just to prove a point thousands of households across Australia are already doing what he said.

I am always being told that the things I do every day cannot be done. I don't believe the people who tell me that. I think they are making stuff up, but there you go some people who haven't done things seem to know a lot about the things they have never done!
    More nonsense,this were his exact words. the triple dots are his pause he used for effect, together with large arm gestures

what does the future look like? ... solar panels ... on the roof ... charging your vehicle ... for free ... overnight ... that is what it looks like.
    However, you overlook the fact that my point of quoting Albo is not to ridicule him, no no no, he does a great job all by himself, does not need my help.
    It is to highlight the ignorant appeal to emotions, that is a classic to camouflage the truth about everything envirocrap.
    Tell people they are missing out on something for free due to those bad conservative who want it all for themselves.

It is no different, mutatis mutandis, from the manure pedalled by 'professor' Flanagan not so long ago.
    John Adams

4K Club Member

I was at Geelong Gate shopping centre today and they are putting in 7 Tesla charging stations and 2 big Tesla battery stacks, however I didn't see where the solar panels associated with them are.

4K Club Member

Coal fired plant has no problems balancing generation with demand, happens all the time.
    Yes, and it can take several hours. Coal generators traditionally balanced by making up time mid morning a couple of hours after the morning peak, when demand exceeds supply and the generators have slowed slowed down, losing time. The whole process was repeated early evening after the late afternoon peak load from home heating or air conditioning.

This adjusting was not only necessary to balance the boiler heat energy input with electrical energy demand fed to the grid, but also necessary to keep clocks with synchronous motors on time. Of course the plant operators anticipated load cycles and shovelled in the coal in advance to mitigate the problem of slow response time.

Even today where frequency is controlled across the whole national grid, not a consequence of load matching local generators, the AEMO provides 30-minute forecasts of operational demand to help out those ancient steam boilers play in the open electricity market.

As a one time owner of a retail store in Adelaide some years ago, I was forever explaining to fussy customers why record players ran fast and slow at different times of the day.

I was at Geelong Gate shopping centre today and they are putting in 7 Tesla charging stations and 2 big Tesla battery stacks, however I didn't see where the solar panels associated with them are.

That's because it is all wired to the network, fuelled by good old dirty coal.

By the way, why is coal "dirty" ?
    John Adams

Community Moderator

Yes, and it can take several hours. Coal generators traditionally balanced by making up time mid morning a couple of hours after the morning peak, when demand exceeds supply and the generators have slowed slowed down, losing time. The whole process was repeated early evening after the late afternoon peak load from home heating or air conditioning.
    About 25 yrs out of date.

This adjusting was not only necessary to balance the boiler heat energy input with electrical energy demand fed to the grid, but also necessary to keep clocks with synchronous motors on time. Of course the plant operators anticipated load cycles and shovelled in the coal in advance to mitigate the problem of slow response time.
    You shovel coal in advance and the result is higher and higher steam pressure not a desirable outcome.

7K Club Member

Google maps suggests there are no solar panels on that entire shopping centre. Hmmmm. Maybe they've been installed since. Or maybe that will happen soon. Or not.

4K Club Member

The Aldi across the road has a roof covered with solar panels. must be 100 of them.

Quote Originally Posted by r3nov8or View Post
    Google maps suggests there are no solar panels on that entire shopping centre. Hmmmm. Maybe that will change soon. Or not.
    Was waiting for that

4K Club Member

About 25 yrs out of date.
    Sure, steam bypass throttle systems and frequency control systems mean the the generation output of thermal plants is more responsive than it used to be.

But it does not solve the problem of balancing thermal input to the boilers with electrical energy delivery because by their very nature furnaces and boilers have high thermal inertia and long response times.

Another problem is that if the generator is throttled, it is very likely running at a loss because the operational costs do not go down much as the electrical output from the plant drops. Not being able to operate economically is why so many coal plants have already shut and more are scheduled to shut.

7K Club Member

The Aldi across the road has a roof covered with solar panels. must be 100 of them.
    Yep. All ALDIs I've seen have this

4K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by r3nov8or View Post
    Google maps suggests there are no solar panels on that entire shopping centre.
    Google maps aerial image of the area is nearly 2½ years old, from Jan 2019.

Anyone have Nearmap.

7K Club Member

Genius

4K Club Member

Queensland coal miners test drive a Tesla. Language warning.

https://youtu.be/JHFTSzCIr9Q

I've had the same reaction from petrolhead friends who've driven my Nissan Leaf

Community Moderator

Sure, steam bypass throttle systems and frequency control systems mean the the generation output of thermal plants is more responsive than it used to be.

But it does not solve the problem of balancing thermal input to the boilers with electrical energy delivery because by their very nature furnaces and boilers have high thermal inertia and long response times.

Another problem is that if the generator is throttled, it is very likely running at a loss because the operational costs do not go down much as the electrical output from the plant drops. Not being able to operate economically is why so many coal plants have already shut and more are scheduled to shut.
    I'm sick of correcting your half truths and downright lies about the operation of coal fired power stations so I would suggest you go back to your internet source weather it be Wikipedia or something else and find someone with 30 yrs in coal fired power station to up skill you as I will not be doing it any more.

Robert Reich:

Elon Musk thinks I’m a “moron” because I called out his exploitative labor practices. He neglected to mention that he:

— Illegally threatened to take away stock options if employees unionized (the judge in this case found Musk and Tesla violated labor laws in 11 additional ways)
    — Fired an employee one day before his stock options vested
    — Fired staff after promising them they could take unpaid time off if they didn’t feel comfortable returning to work during COVID
    — Has had 43 workers’ rights violations filed against his company since 2010
    — Has had 145 complaints filed with California’s Department of Fair Employment and Housing since 2014

He can call me every name in the book — it won’t change the fact that he’s a modern-day robber baron, through and through.
    And now the "hero" of the electric car suckers, ( reverse Robin Hood) has managed in synchrony with the CCP to crash Crypto by 30% ... well done!
    John Adams

4K Club Member

Funny I thought you were in favour of "Robber Barons" Marc

4K Club Member

...find someone with 30 yrs in coal fired power station to up skill you as I will not be doing it any more.
    When were you doing it at all? You misunderstood some of my posts (I apologise for not being able to write more clearly) and I have misunderstood some of yours (for which I acknowledge my failure to always understand what some one else means), but scanning back over the last couple of pages you haven't contributed insight into energy efficiency of steam cycle electricity generation. The word 'rubbish' to refute something is just petulance, not correction; why don't you share your knowledge?

BTW one of my colleagues (Phil Reid RIP) was a head operator at the Torrens Island power stations in the early '70s through the 80s (in the days of ETSA), and with an interest in electrical and electronics I was occasionally there at his invitation in the control room. That is where I learned about load balancing and making up time in the old days before national grids, not from reading about it. I subsequently enrolled in a degree course in electrical engineering, which is all about generation, motors, thermodynamics and the application of the laws of physics, although after a couple of years I switched to electronic engineering.

Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 LastLast