Welcome to Victoria.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    The Master's Apprentice Bedford's Avatar

Default Welcome to Victoria.

Father of Epping man stomped on the head by Victoria Police gives interview to 3AW

Posted by John2b, And no, BEVs are not going to save the planet, which doesn't need saving anyway.

Just watched it on the news, showed him deliberately run down with the police vehicle. Was waiting 24 hours for a bed for biploar treatment then left, hospital called police and they do that. In an induced coma atm.
    I wonder what happened for that video to be started.

Community Moderator

White wash brush needed here.

2K Club Member

What about that poor man last year - police called for a welfare check and ended up dragging him out of his own house and hosing him with a hose. No justification.

This one?

Posted by John2b, And no, BEVs are not going to save the planet, which doesn't need saving anyway.

Perhaps Victorian Police have been recruiting American Police and learning from their training methods.
    They are disgraceful, Vic Police make NSW Police look like a bunch of Angels.

Maybe this has something to do with it, Vic maybe going a bit too far me thinks.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-09-...erned/11517266
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir

4K Club Member

Black uniforms
    Dress like Nazis behave like Nazis.
    Do the wrong thing and all they get is a slap on the wrist.
    The police have a hard and difficult job to do but this sort of behaviour is probably making their job much, much more difficult; let alone the perfectly valid perception that the VicPol are just another arm of the tax office
    "A big boy did it and ran away"

Legal disclaimer denying responsibility to be inserted here.

I wouldn't be making comparrisons with NSW, depending on training and priority's both have their issues from time to time. It would seem likely we will see disiplinary action, it is a lot tougher as a cop when you stuff up these days, it is also harder to close ranks and bluff themselves out of these situations. This guy is on camera, if he has gone rogue as it looks he has I doubt he will be a member for much longer.

7K Club Member

I hate to say it, but imagine what the streets would be like right now if the guy was black

But I thought all people are black, middle east, indian or asian in Australia ... at least judging from those featuring in the education department ads, the comm bank, and most other ads.
    Oh wait, that is the advertising industry trying to be politically correct, and their customers going with it.
    Sad really.

It would be fun to make a list of the most popular bias/prejudice this days.
    I start.
    White male middle aged people are evil, have unwarranted privileges and vote conservative ... (that is evil in itself of course)
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect
    Mark Twain

Victoria Police has suspended an officer over his involvement in the arrest of a man in Melbourne's north on Sunday afternoon.

Footage of the man's arrest was posted to social media, including a moment when one of the officers making the arrest appears to stomp on the head of the man as he lies on the ground, surrounded by other officers.
    Appears, F.M.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-...rrest/12664570

4K Club Member

The police are very well paid and are "supposed" to adhere to a higher standard of behaviour than other people.
    The fact that some of them do not and that these people then appear to get away with it is one of the reasons we are fast loosing respect for the force, such as it was.

Community Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Moondog55 View Post
    The police are very well paid and are "supposed" to adhere to a higher standard of behaviour than other people.
    The fact that some of them do not and that these people then appear to get away with it is one of the reasons we are fast loosing respect for the force, such as it was.
    I don't think it has dawned on some that a lot of people carry cameras around nowdays.

4K Club Member

Every smart mobile phone is a movie camera, and probably of better quality that the body cameras police are supposed to wear at all times when on duty outside

Start from 2:10 minutes.

So many mental minions, aspiring to play Hitler. Too many to count. And they are not all in Victoria.
    Emergency situations bring the best out of some, and the worst out of others every time.
    And the authorities encourage the population to dob in each other.
    Keep them scared, poor and hopeless. Works every time.
    Oh yes and tell them that they will be saved by the vaccine. Stay at home, under you bed and pray to the WHO gods, for a vaccine.
    Maybe you can tweet words of praise for Bill Gates?
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect
    Mark Twain

4K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    ...pray to the WHO gods, for a vaccine...
    When did Putin and Trump become WHO gods?
    Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it necessary, it is true, does it improve on the silence? - Baba

2K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bedford View Post
    As a former SES volunteer, I want to mention that untrained volunteers can sometimes make things more difficult - especially in bushland.

2K Club Member

This shameless attempt to bundle this legislation - which will reduce our rights for no good reason - must be stopped.

The ability for anyone to be made an ‘authorised’ officer’ and given the right to detain others. Shocking. No right to appeal to a judge!

And given it’s the end of the COVID outbreak in Melbourne? It’s just an authoritarian power grab.

I’m not voting for him again!

Quote Originally Posted by joynz View Post
    As a former SES volunteer, I want to mention that untrained volunteers can sometimes make things more difficult - especially in bushland.
    The police later corrected the slant that volunteers had been turned away because of Covid, it was because they had all the manpower they could manage. Also the lost lad was autistic which brings its own complexities that aren't managable if you let in hoards of well intentioned but inexperienced volunteers. So yes your SES instinct is correct, not that Bolt have ever been bothered by facts just the slant and spin.

This shameless attempt to bundle this legislation - which will reduce our rights for no good reason - must be stopped.

The ability for anyone to be made an ‘authorised’ officer’ and given the right to detain others. Shocking. No right to appeal to a judge!

And given it’s the end of the COVID outbreak in Melbourne? It’s just an authoritarian power grab.

I’m not voting for him again!

While not commenting on the actual legislation as I have read nothing about it, my view is this is why parliament needs to be meeting, we have lost the checks and balances and inevitably this leads to dumb decisions, just like workchoices brought Howard undone when he had almost unfettered power to do dumb stuff in the same way (control of both houses)

Nothing beats local knowledge in the bush.

Quote Originally Posted by johnc View Post
    While not commenting on the actual legislation as I have read nothing about it
    Here it is, https://www.legislation.vic.gov.au/b...ment-bill-2020

Part 5—Repeal of this Act
    46 Repeal of this Act
    This Act is repealed on the first anniversary of its commencement.
    Note
    The repeal of this Act does not affect the continuing operation of the amendments made by it
    (see section 15(1) of the Interpretation of Legislation Act 1984).

2K Club Member

Nothing beats local knowledge in the bush.
    Local knowledge is not the same as knowing how to do a methodical search. Or having the fitness not to fall over accidentally and break a wrist, taking attention away from the search.

And locals may not be experienced on the bush - your average suburban warrior on the edge of Melbourne feels they are ‘in the bush’ but may easily turn around in a deep gully to realise they have no idea where they are.

Police and SES search teams have leaders, PLBs, radios, and well-practiced buddy systems.

I had to undergo ongoing weekly training excercises with the SES, and sit practical tests do get my qualification to work as a volunteer.

Local knowledge is not the same as knowing how to do a methodical search. Or having the fitness not to fall over accidentally and break a wrist, taking attention away from the search.

And locals may not be experienced on the bush - your average suburban warrior on the edge of Melbourne feels they are ‘in the bush’ but may easily turn around in a deep gully to realise they have no idea where they are.

Police and SES search teams have leaders, PLBs, radios, and well-practiced buddy systems.

I had to undergo ongoing weekly training excercises with the SES, and sit practical tests do get my qualification to work as a volunteer.
    I don't think you understand what I wrote.

I don't think you understand what I wrote.
    The classic mistake, what you thought you had written was not what the reader read. You need to write clearly so you can be understood.

Quote Originally Posted by johnc View Post
    The classic mistake, what you thought you had written was not what the reader read. You need to write clearly so you can be understood.
    Will this do, https://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au...d-shape/?cs=80

Experienced local bushman Ben Gibbs spotted him and gave the non-verbal autistic 14-year-old a pair of socks, chocolate and a jacket before taking him to safety.

Mr Gibbs was one of hundreds of people who had searched for William after he disappeared on Monday afternoon.

Police drew on fresh tactics to draw him out, with his favourite tune, Thomas the Tank Engine, blasted over sound systems and food left out for him.

But Mr Gibbs, who grew up in the area and calls Mt Disappointment his "family mountain", dug deeper into the bush than others before him.

"He was just about 15 metres from me, just standing there, he was really angelic just standing," Mr Gibbs said.

In the case above this week, there would be hundreds of bush workers, sawmillers, ex forestry blokes and deer shooters with the ability to help and and also not get lost or step in a puddle.

Yep. Kept thinking about that reading through this.

ps Dan didn't scrub up too well at the inquiry today.

Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    ps Dan didn't scrub up too well at the inquiry today.

By the time all this unfolds it will make the Cain/Kirner years look like a Sunday picnic.

While not commenting specifically on the videos or condoning inappropriate police behavior/violence from a VERY small number of police (like most large work places and people in positions of power, there are always a-holes!),
    it always amuses me how everyone is an arm chair expert in what "should" have happened whilst viewing a 30sec snapshot without knowing the full history as to what occurred in the moments, hours, days or weeks before hand including what information did they have before going to a specific situation.

Most are great and where would our society be without them.

Spend 6 months with them ...that is if you could last that long whilst dealing every day of your life with the negativity, Sh$t of society, and gang/domestic/drug violence and the uncertainty of what could occur in any situation.
    We the public only ever read/hear of a snipet of what actually occurs. Its surprising there isn't more "rouge" cops that loose the plot in specific situations.

...and then you've got dealing with mental illness which is challenging in itself knowing how to correctly approach the situation

I've seen and personally know of many that have changed and in some cases succumbed to PTSD.
    These are people you would never think would ever be affected all for the benefit of keeping the community safe(r).

People are always looking to blame someone else without take responsibility for their own actions. I draw on a famous Jim Carry line from Liar Liar - "Stop breaking the law a$$hol@"

Andrews, Mikakos, Neville, Pakula and ors referred for prosecution under criminal provisions of Victoria's Occupational Health & Safety Act.

https://www.michaelsmithnews.com/202...f-victori.html