What cheeses me off...

Default What cheeses me off...

Need a new forum category -What Cheeses me off!

This has been a long bug bear of mine... ie screw packaging. Whoever came up with the first one should be shot.

Some time back I got some excellent screws from Aldi for very little compared with the alternative packaging. Can't recall what I paid but it wasn't much. The packaging is excellent, a proper hinged lid, robust plastic case and even a belt clip. Wish I could buy many more of this type of container to organise my different screws.

Makes me wonder how greedy the chain of the supply is when Aldi can do so much better like this one.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails screw-packages.jpg   screw-packages2.jpg  

7K Club Member

Lately Aidi screws have come in tubs. More sturdy and reusable than the flimsy Zenith here, but not at all as handy as those with belt clips etc

Those stapled together plastic things are rubbish, they only last one opening before they are stuffed, if you don't use all the screws they ALWAYS end up open spread all over the floor.

It's the same as all that bloody heat shrunk plastic rubbish that everything comes in, I know they do it to stop people opening and stealing the contents.
    I would like to know how many people have ended up in hospital getting stitches because they slipped while trying to cut to bloody plastic packaging open.

Most of it is also not recyclable, this sort of stuff should be banned, surely there has to be a better way to package goods.

Also the plastic flip lid screws on the zenith brans are hopeless, the hinges last about 5 goes then snap off, another completely useless product.

I noticed Pinnacle have some really good packaged screws, it's a pull of top like a paint can, no flimsy plastic hinges, you can drop them and the lid wont come off because it's a flexible plastic not that hard brittle rubbish on the zentih stuff.

4.jpg
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir

Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    Yes that would be good.

To start with, Woolworths introduced paper bags at the checkouts alongside the plastic alternatives, problem is they were sourcing the paper bags from China !!

Seriously can't we even make a paper bag here ??

Well apparently we can, there was so much backlash against woolworths not supporting Australian made, they signed a multi million dollar deal with Detpak to make the bags locally.
    If these big companies don't lead by example, how the hell are we ever going to get any manufacturing in the country started again.

Woolworths commented, they were in the process of doing this, but were "pushed" a bit quicker by local backlash. funny that.

Talking of country of origin check your toothpaste, Aldi actually source their's locally.

Should the title of this one just be called what cheeses me off ?, drop the screw packaging, otherwise we are already done

Quote Originally Posted by METRIX View Post
    Should the title of this one just be called what cheeses me off ?, drop the screw packaging, otherwise we are already done
    There..done

Screws in small packs come in throwaway packaging. Larger quantities come in more reusable boxes. I don't have a problem with that. I also seem to manage to keep left over screws in the flimsy boxes. Have shelfs full of them.
    As far as heat shrunk packaging, I gave up opening with a Stanley knife after a few close calls. Scissors are the rule.
    Even one of the best meat cuts at Aldi ( in my opinion) the "hand cut lamb rump stake" comes heat shrunk with a thick plastic that even opened with scissors, is razor sharp itself. I have to use scissors and cut around the stake carefully so it opens without sharp edges.
    However ... despite this rather annoying packaging, I must say that vacuum package for meat is one way to keep it fresh and bacteria free for longer.

As for the screws, there are plenty of cheap plastic boxes to store them. As long as you keep the label
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect
    Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    As for the screws, there are plenty of cheap plastic boxes to store them. As long as you keep the label
    Yes, I have plenty of the Sortimo boxes with heaps of small components in them full of screws, I still find I have about 50 packets of screws lying around, I can't handle any more sortimo boxes as I'm running out of room

I have a similar box (not Sortimo) but dislike it trying to get my fingers in for the last screw. Also don't like carting an assortment of screws around when just one small container will do. I am making a drawer for my shed just for screws, just need decent individual containers. Those flimsy containers don't stack, soon break and butterfly open, too much wasted time picking up the strewn screws when that happens. The staples annoy as well. Want those Aldi containers...sigh!

Community Moderator

A couple of weeks ago I went down the middle "specials" aisle at Aldi and picked up a lot of items from cooking to electrical and soft furnishings and the only thing I could find that was not made in China was dog food and garden mulch which were made in Australia.
    Bunnings would be no different is you took out all the items made in China I think Bunnings would be the size of a large garden shed, doesn't say much for Australian manufacturing.
    We only ever buy Australian products at Aldi. We support the local butcher for meat as we can get what we want and they will cut it how we want but it is not shrink wrapped if that is the way you like it.

Yep, garden stakes in Bunnings - most are made in China. Ended up finding another country of origin but I bet the company is owned by China anyway.
    Plant ties (the ball of elastic cotton type of tie) - most are from China but there is a brand made right here in Australia. Was 50c more expensive and it went straight into my shopping bag to purchase.

Yes Bros, fresh from the butcher is best ... providing you have a butcher to go to. The 'new' shrink wrapped packaging I mentioned for meat, is way better than the old polystyrene tray with cling wrap around it. No oxygen, no bacteria ... for a while.
    Geee...

Sortimo boxes are cumbersome ... I was thinking in cheap take away/lunch boxes, bought in large numbers in a 2 dollar shop.
    https://www.nisbets.com.au/fiesta-sm...iABEgIhovD_BwE

As long as the consumer decides with price in mind rather than quality, made in china will win every time. It is also a corporate decision and most are too focused on price.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect
    Mark Twain

I have a similar box (not Sortimo) but dislike it trying to get my fingers in for the last screw. Also don't like carting an assortment of screws around when just one small container will do. I am making a drawer for my shed just for screws, just need decent individual containers. Those flimsy containers don't stack, soon break and butterfly open, too much wasted time picking up the strewn screws when that happens. The staples annoy as well. Want those Aldi containers...sigh!
    Have a look at these, they stack, have two sturdy flip locks, they are reasonably priced, I store AAA and AA batteries in them, they come in a variety of sizes, and are still working after a few years use.

handy.jpg

Yes Bros, fresh from the butcher is best ... providing you have a butcher to go to. The 'new' shrink wrapped packaging I mentioned for meat, is way better than the old polystyrene tray with cling wrap around it. No oxygen, no bacteria ... for a while.
    Geee...

Sortimo boxes are cumbersome ... .
    The Metabo metal Sortimo I have are fantastic, very slimline, super robust (made completely from metal) made in Germany, I wouldn't call them cumbersome.
    The plastic ones are much larger as they don't have the strength naturally so they have to honeycomb the lids etc to get the strength, this wastes a lot of space.

The inserts are very strong.

sortimo.jpg

JB1
    1K Club Member

Default What cheeses me off...

I agree, fresh from the butcher is best.

However the issue is sometimes the butcher sells meat that is a few days old. That's not a problem if you eat it the same day or the day after you buy it.

I've been caught out and had to throw meat out 2 days after buying it.

At least with supermarket meat is they have a (refrigerated) shelf life of a week or more. This comes in handy as we generally only have time to shop on weekends.

If the supermarket meat is starting to turn before the use by date, I have no issues with returning it.

lk

Golden Member

This has been a long bug bear of mine... ie screw packaging. Whoever came up with the first one should be shot.

Some time back I got some excellent screws from Aldi for very little compared with the alternative packaging. Can't recall what I paid but it wasn't much. The packaging is excellent, a proper hinged lid, robust plastic case and even a belt clip. Wish I could buy many more of this type of container to organise my different screws.

Makes me wonder how greedy the chain of the supply is when Aldi can do so much better like this one.

I have not noticed screws in boxes like that at Aldi.

I have on several occasions purchased their boxes of stainless steel screws. I'd say the boxes are similar to the "Pinnacle" ones mentioned by Metrix - if properly attached the lids won't open of their own accord, but on the other hand they can be a bit finicky to open when you need to.

Aldi sell these quite regularly. The ones I have were mostly made in Vietnam, but some, in identical boxes, say they are made in Cambodia. I think I saw some more recently that may have been made in China.

I did on one occasion buy a box of assorted hose clamps (I think it was) at Aldi when this was discounted to a few dollars, not for the contents, but because the box happened to be the ideal size for me to keep a staple gun in.

img_2396-medium-.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ozcar View Post

Aldi sell these quite regularly.

The one I pictured carries the Aldi Workzone branding, however yes they mostly sell the other type you have in your pic. That type is excellent and durable too, I have those as well. Just annoying our major suppliers can't compete with decent packaging.
    I have been watching out for when Aldi have the stainless steel ones again, been mostly chipboard ones.

I have on several occasions purchased their boxes of stainless steel screws. I'd say the boxes are similar to the "Pinnacle" ones mentioned by Metrix - if properly attached the lids won't open of their own accord, but on the other hand they can be a bit finicky to open when you need to.

Aldi sell these quite regularly. The ones I have were mostly made in Vietnam, but some, in identical boxes, say they are made in Cambodia. I think I saw some more recently that may have been made in China.

I did on one occasion buy a box of assorted hose clamps (I think it was) at Aldi when this was discounted to a few dollars, not for the contents, but because the box happened to be the ideal size for me to keep a staple gun in.

They looks like good little boxes.

The screw quality is decent too, the boxes are double decked too, very handy.

the "Pinnacle" ones mentioned by Metrix - if properly attached the lids won't open of their own accord, but on the other hand they can be a bit finicky to open when you need to.
    I found that too initially, the trick is to just pull up on the 45deg corner, and they open straight away.
    Initially I was looking at the lid thinking how the hell do you get it off ?