Hire the best Air conditioning and Heating Experts

Airco in warm apartment : exhaust warm air through bathroom-ventilation grille ?

Apprentice (new member)

Default Airco in warm apartment : exhaust warm air through bathroom-ventilation grille ?

Hi, we life in a apartment which is hot during summer (many windows facing the sun). We consider the option of an air conditioner with a discharge pipe. The problem is that we are not allowed to make a hole in the wall. That is why we are thinking of letting the exhaust pipe discharge the warm air through the ventilation grille (bathroom or toilet). Does anyone have experience with that ?

4K Club Member

In apartments that I have experienced, the bathroom and toilet vents operate continually at fairly low flow rates. I suspect they would lack the capacity to cope with the flow rate from an air conditioner as you describe. These air conditioners normally vent directly to the outside. If it is not possible to put a hole in the wall, what about an open window with a vent kit?

Also air conditioners that use a discharge vent to remove waste heat are not particularly efficient as the vented hot exhaust air has to be replaced by air brought in from outside, which is likely to be hot air.

Getting back to your problem of a hot interior, obviously there is too much heat gain through the windows. Stopping the heat getting in is likely to be easier than trying to get it out. What can you do to reduce the heat entering the apartment? External blinds and heat reflective window film?
    Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it necessary, it is true, does it improve on the silence? - Baba

I agree with John
    Do the cheap options first, stop heat from coming in.
    As far as aircon. I used to have a 'portable' aircon with a large 4" pipe that discharged hot air outside. It was a DeLongy and a very good unit. The cooling was assisted by water over the compressor radiator, and only one exit for heat and water vapor through the pipe. I used to cool down a large 12 man field tent rather well.
    In a home situation, you can have a split aircon. All you need is a small hole for the copper pipes. About 30 mm I believe. That could go through a window frame, a grill vent, or anything else. Of course you need the outside unit that can not be easily disguised.
    Alternatively there are window rattlers, the old fashioned window unit that goes in place of a glass pan. They are probably still available.
    Talk to a local technician, he will know what's available in ... Belgium? ... I thought it was cold up there?
    Fear is the foundation of most government.
    John Adams

As John2b has stated. These devices are very inefficient.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-mBeYC2KGc
    ďWhat a fool believes, he sees. No wise man has the power to reason awayĒ- The Doobie Brothers

Quote Originally Posted by UseByDate View Post
    As John2b has stated. These devices are very inefficient.
    So are home cooked meals.
    John Adams

Apprentice (new member)

Default aircoolers and split aircon. Shutters vs. Screens.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    I agree with John
    Do the cheap options first, stop heat from coming in.
    As far as aircon. I used to have a 'portable' aircon with a large 4" pipe that discharged hot air outside. It was a DeLongy and a very good unit. The cooling was assisted by water over the compressor radiator, and only one exit for heat and water vapor through the pipe. I used to cool down a large 12 man field tent rather well.
    In a home situation, you can have a split aircon. All you need is a small hole for the copper pipes. About 30 mm I believe. That could go through a window frame, a grill vent, or anything else. Of course you need the outside unit that can not be easily disguised.
    Alternatively there are window rattlers, the old fashioned window unit that goes in place of a glass pan. They are probably still available.
    Talk to a local technician, he will know what's available in ... Belgium? ... I thought it was cold up there?
    Thanks for the usefull information !
    You are talking about split aircon. Do they consume more energy since they take air from outside? Are they more expensive to purchase ? And are aircoolers (using water like DeLongy ?) more efficiŽnt then mobile airconditioners ?
    Another question is are shutter more efficiŽnt then screens : Shutters block the sunlight 100% What is the ratio in efficiency ?

4K Club Member

Shading the windows to stop the sun from getting in and heating the room is the most efficient and often the cheapest option. Are you able to/ permitted to install exterior roller blinds or shade sails?
    "A big boy did it and ran away"

Legal disclaimer denying responsibility to be inserted here.

Apprentice (new member)

@Moondog55. We are considering installing screens or rolling shutters. Does someone know the difference in efficiency for blocking the sun and preventing the warmth coming in ?

Apprentice (new member)

@Marc You are mentioning DeLongy. Is this an air-cooler or air-conditioner. I believed aircoolers use water or ice to cool ? Is there a difference in efficiency and price between air-coolers and air-conditioners ?

Evaporative air coolers work in dry hot climate. I had a block of units in Mount Isa (45C normal) that had evaporative and worked very well. They don't work in Sydney for example.
    For evaporative coolers to work, you need very low water in the atmosphere to promote evaporation and therefore cooling effect. I think anything over 40% humidity is going to be a challenge. Plus, it adds moisture indoors and can promote mould. They are cheaper because they are just a radiator, usually out of bamboo or thin wood, a fan and a little pump, no compressor nor metal radiators and copper tubings.

The DeLongy unit I had, was a normal air conditioner with a compressor.

The difference with other portable air conditioners was that it had an additional water tank that dripped on the radiator and aided the cooling of the radiator. A bit like when you want to help your aircon in hot days and spray water in the outside unit. The difference was noticeable, when it ran out of water, the unit worked just the same but the air was not as cold as with the added water. Bythe way the water exists the house through the hose, no water vapor stay inside the room.

It is true that portable air conditioners are less efficient then fixed units or split units. A Mack truck is more efficient than a Vespa, sure. Sometimes you choose results over efficiency.

See if you can find split portable aircon. They do exist, and don't need a 4" hose through a window. THe outside unit and the inside unit are joined by two small hoses and they are more efficient than the compact inside unit. Below is an example of a split portable, not necessarily endorsing it since I have never used it. They may be other better and bigger than this one in Europe.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mixsGq-hMU
    John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post

See if you can find split portable aircon.
    You may find that portable split systems are illegal now.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenLe View Post
    You are talking about split aircon. Do they consume more energy since they take air from outside?
    Split systems maintain internal air, don't take it from outside and are most efficient.

Cheap portable a/c maintain internal air but also exhaust it outside so draw in external air and are inefficient. There are two types, either with a single or an extra second flexible duct hose. The ones with two duct hoses would use one for outside air to cool the compressor, whereas the single hose one uses 'the room's internal cooled air to cool the compressor.

4K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    You may find that portable split systems are illegal now.
    In Belgium?
    Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it necessary, it is true, does it improve on the silence? - Baba

Quote Originally Posted by John2b View Post
    In Belgium?
    Don't know, do you! I know it is Belgium, just suggesting to be aware!

Why would they be illegal? They advertise them in the US.
    John Adams

I understand they are not allowed to be in sold Australia. Someone on Whirlpool said this:

Portable splits became illegal to sell when they changed some refrigeration laws a few years as they used flexible piping that did not comply with new standards.Simiklar to the TECO skinny units which were categorised as a different category (portable instead of fixed or someting like that) so they did meet the new MEPS standards.
    Kyte I sold my two tecos to MSD
    Finding Portable Split System Aircons? - Air conditioners (whirlpool.net.au)

Apprentice (new member)

Obviously John2b doesn't subscribe to

Apprentice (new member)

But no one said you couldn't put a hole in the glass....presuming the concept you are proposing was going to work.......

Call your local aircon installer for a no obligation chat ... providing there is such thing in Belgium ... someone like this mob here https://www.ventilation-clean.com/en...climatisation/ or here are a few more https://www.europages.co.uk/companie...tallation.html

Just a google search, and probably the worse choice, but you know what I mean, get someone local to see what is possible as a tenant. I am just poking in the dark here. To me it seems there should be a few simple solutions, most probably 'inefficient', but after all you want to cool your apartment and a few KW more or less may mean very little to you.
    John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by StevenLe View Post
    @Moondog55. We are considering installing screens or rolling shutters. Does someone know the difference in efficiency for blocking the sun and preventing the warmth coming in ?
    As for shutters outside the window, they are the best choice to block heat getting in the rooms, but of course it means dark rooms and they are not cheap and require installation of frames, and electric connections for the motor. A cheaper way would be film on the glass and even double glass with magnetic strips. But shutters are way better.
    John Adams