Hire the best Air conditioning and Heating Experts

A/C advice needed -what's this and how does it work?

Apprentice (new member)

Default A/C advice needed -what's this and how does it work?

Hi All;

I've been putting in a split cycle air conditioner with the help of the instruction book and all that I've gleaned from YouTube and this forum. It's a Kelvinator KSE26HRB.

I'm now at the stage where I could release the gas but before I do I'd like to ask a few questions... With reference to the following picture:

taps.jpg

The run from the inside unit to the outside unit is 3 meters. The A/C pipe size is 1/4" and 3/8". I've read that I don't need to vacuum the lines especially when the two units are close together. I've seen, on YouTube, someone releasing a "pop" valve 4 times to blow out any air and moisture.

I'm not about to start undoing "nuts" on these valves to find out what is underneath. First, is it OK to undo those caps to see what is underneath? So, is there a "pop" valve under the bottom cap on the right?

Also, what is under the two large caps? YouTube shows/suggests a hex bolt that releases the refrigerant into the lines.

I'm not sure about the "release" process. I'm thinking that one would charge the pipes with refrigerant then re-seal them and check if any of the flare nuts are leaking. If none are leaking, re-release the refrigerant. Am I on the right track here?

Any assistance would be gratefully received..

Norm

I want an excuse to buy a vacuum pump, so personally, I'd buy (you could hire) a vacuum pump and gauges and vac the lines down to a nice hard vacuum, and hold that for an hour to check for leaks and purge moisture. It'll also make sure your unit is going to operate at maximum efficiency and you don't loose any gas.
    DIY electrical wiring to AS/NZS3000 - details here - http://goo.gl/9d33T (PDF file)

Apprentice (new member)

I've been around to our local hire shops looking for a vacuum pump - no such luck. Even went to local A/C and refrigeration supplier to get him to do it and was told "no, too small a job, not worth our time or effort...".

That's one of the of the reasons I'm doing it myself. The other is I like doing things myself. I learn something, I know how it went together and how to fix it.

Novice

The caps are there to allow the valves to be opened/closed. Behind the valves you will normally find a hex head for an allen key. I'm not sure what you mean by charge the lines, then re-seal them. You should be very confident that you flared the pipes properly and tightened the nuts to the correct torque. A method recommended by LG for checking for leaks is turning the 2-way valve 90deg counter-clockwise, for about 2 seconds, then quickly closing it. Apply soapy water at all the connecting points and check for bubbles. I would be borrowing/buying a vacuum pump if I was you. With a vacuum pump you will be able to properly purge your lines and get all the air/moisture out preventing any undesirable side effects. Otherwise you may find that you reduce the efficiency of your system or increase power consumption, etc.

Apprentice (new member)

Excellent! Exactly what I was thinking. "charge the lines" = your way of putting pressure in the lines and "Re-seal" = quickly close it.

When I don't know what I'm talking about I have to invent words to get the idea across.

OK, the pipe size on the right is 1/4". I'm thinking that I'd turn that on on for your 2 seconds, and re-seal it (like you said). Check for leaks.

I'll get there...

Apprentice (new member)

All Done!! Works like a charm!

Lovely to feel the coolth after getting soaked with work sweat...

Many thanks!