Hire the best Air conditioning and Heating Experts

Can Flooring Type Affect Internal Cooling/Heating?

Apprentice (new member)

Default Can Flooring Type Affect Internal Cooling/Heating?

Just wondering, can the type of flooring you have affect the internal temperature of your house? I have carpet upstairs at the moment, but I imagine tiles or floorboards (they'd have to be floating, in my case) would keep my (town)house cooler all year around...

rrobor

Sorry but dont get your logic. Temperature is determined by external factors or internal devices designed to alter temperatures. No internal inert item could alter temperature.

Most definitely it has an effect. A dark stone/concrete floor behind a north facing window will absorb heat during the day and act as a heat sink, warming the house during the night.

generally dense bodied floors like concrete are better at evening out temperature fluctuations than say timber.
    WARNING
    This persons post may sometimes contain
    Course language
    Adult themes
    Drug use
    Violence
    Nudity

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by rrobor View Post
    Sorry but dont get your logic. Temperature is determined by external factors or internal devices designed to alter temperatures. No internal inert item could alter temperature.
    Perhaps I didn't word my query well. Basically, I want to know if carpet acts more like a heat sink than timber during the summer months.

Weekend Warrior

I'd say carpet acts like a bit of an insulator to stop the coolness of the concrete getting into the room (or to stop heat escaping through the floor, depending on how you look at it). The tiled rooms in my house are definitely a lot more comfortable to be in on summer nights than the carpeted ones.

rrobor

Bleedin Thumb gave you the only instance where flooring can have an effect. The difference between a wood floor and carpet might relate to some point of a degree but thats it, with wood I would suspect retaining heat better than carpet.

Guv

Quote Originally Posted by Bleedin Thumb View Post
    Most definitely it has an effect. A dark stone/concrete floor behind a north facing window will absorb heat during the day and act as a heat sink, warming the house during the night.

generally dense bodied floors like concrete are better at evening out temperature fluctuations than say timber.
    Thermal mass of your flooring works the same as in walls. Things that take a long time to heat up generally take a long time to cool down... and vice versa. So the type of flooring can affect how quickly your house changes temperature.

Thermal conductivity of the flooring is what makes a difference to how it 'feels' on your feet. i.e Stone/tile/concrete etc (~1.7W/(m.K) generally feel cooler to touch as they suck the heat from your foot (high transfer co-efficient). Wood is warmer to the touch at 0.04 - 0.4W/(m.K)... On the other end of the scale, carpet is a decent insulator so doesn't transfer heat from your foot too quickly at all (making it feel warmer). But as rrobor appears to be saying, the actual temperature of your house in this case is actually unaffected.

HTH