Hire the best Air conditioning and Heating Experts

DIY split a/c system recommendations

Novice

Question DIY split a/c system recommendations

Hi all,

We have moved into a new run down place that we'll be in for 5yrs before building something so don't want to spend too much money on it as its a demolition job. Basic aircon installs are $700 minimum now which I find a bit much for a 4hr job.

I want to install a ~5kW split a/c system, are there any precharged line units in Australia or imported that don't need to be vaccumed down? I've installed a boat fridge system with prechanged lines and it was an easy process.

Otherwise are any of the brands (fujitsu, mitsubishi, panasonic) easier to install for a first timer than the others? I'll get an electrician to run a separate circuit up to the outdor unit.

Thanks

4K Club Member

Last Daikin inverter I installed was precharged although it was 23 years ago.

You will probably find they are all precharged.

Ring around and ask the question.

Quote Originally Posted by ++Dan++ View Post
    Hi all,

We have moved into a new run down place that we'll be in for 5yrs before building something so don't want to spend too much money on it as its a demolition job. Basic aircon installs are $700 minimum now which I find a bit much for a 4hr job.

I want to install a ~5kW split a/c system, are there any precharged line units in Australia or imported that don't need to be vaccumed down? I've installed a boat fridge system with prechanged lines and it was an easy process.

Otherwise are any of the brands (fujitsu, mitsubishi, panasonic) easier to install for a first timer than the others? I'll get an electrician to run a separate circuit up to the outdor unit.

Thanks
    Not much of your $700 left over after paying the sparkie to run a new circuit, given their charge rates at the moment, if you find one.
    Might be easier to just get it installed?

Novice

Thanks Cyclic, you mean the Dykin lines were precharged? so no need to vac them down? just screw the pipes at either end into the head unit and compressor and thats it?

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverYoung View Post
    Not much of your $700 left over after paying the sparkie to run a new circuit, given their charge rates at the moment, if you find one.
    Might be easier to just get it installed?
    I'd do the hard work, and just get the spakie to install it at the distribution board.

I had 2 aircons installed at an apartament before, a 3.5 and 2.5kw units. The sparkie just wired them both into the existing single circuit (w isolation switch on each a/c unit) and said they don't draw that much current that theyd require a separate circuit, not that he could pull a new line as it was hidden in the concerete ceiling. Looking at the 5kW units they draw 5A which is bugger all for a gpo which I already have outside close to where the a/c will go.

4K Club Member

Thanks Cyclic, you mean the Dykin lines were precharged? so no need to vac them down? just screw the pipes at either end into the head unit and compressor and thats it?
    Main unit was charged.
    You install the 2 units, connect the lines between them inside ducting which also carries the electrical between the units.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by cyclic View Post
    Main unit was charged.
    You install the 2 units, connect the lines between them inside ducting which also carries the electrical between the units.
    So you didn't vacuum the copper tubes to remove the air/moisture? did you have any issues longevity/breakdown? apparentlyl you draw the vacuum to remove the air and evaporate any moisture in the lines which mixed with the refrigerant turn acidit and corrode the unit internally. Also reduces efficiency due to the compressor not being able to compress moisture, not that there'd be that much of it. Maybe in Qld

4K Club Member

So you didn't vacuum the copper tubes to remove the air/moisture? did you have any issues longevity/breakdown? apparentlyl you draw the vacuum to remove the air and evaporate any moisture in the lines which mixed with the refrigerant turn acidit and corrode the unit internally. Also reduces efficiency due to the compressor not being able to compress moisture, not that there'd be that much of it. Maybe in Qld
    Was never vacced and was replaced 2 years ago so lasted 21 years.
    Mind you I have an old Carrier split here still going at 23 years of age.

Novice

Just an update, install was very easy. Advice I got from an old installer was to put as many screws around the perimiter of the head unit hanger as possible to stop future vibration, i was hanging it on timber frame so sikaflexed the bracket to the gyprock for good measure. He also said to wrap wide vinyl tape around copper pipes/elec/insulation to hold it togther so again you dont get future rattles. Mount the head unit at a slight angle so the condensate runs off towards the drain which you test after you run the drain hose out through the wall by pouring water over the head unit's top fins. BTW detailed instructions are included in the aircon but didn't mention the slight angle. Also drill a larger hole thorugh the wall than you think you'll need so pipes are easier to bend once they protrude through the wall, i went a bit tight w mine.

I bought 20m of 1/2&1/4" annealed copper pipe w preinstalled insulation from Actrol for around $300. Can do another 3 aircons down the line They also sell plastic pipe cover or you can go to a sheet metal place to get a cowling bent up to match your pattern from a bent up wire.

friend had a 50yr old vac/pressure pump from an antique fridge that we used. We first pressurised just the installed pipes with air to 20psi to test for leaks. Then vaccumed it without a gauge for 45mins. We left the pump line on but isolated it with a valve and then released the gas from the compressor. Then quickly disconnected the vac line. You lose a tiny bit of gas but it doen't suck any air in.

Electrician said that ppl do the install themselves and get a refrigeration mechanic to do the pipe runs etc to save money. Not sure what the price diff would be?

Instructions also mentioned that you can pump the gas down into teh compressor when it comes to removal, its a function via the remote by holding down some buttons. I saw some adds for second hand aircons with pumped down units but wasnt sure how thats done. Anyway was a fun project. Thanks for everyones input