Hire the best Air conditioning and Heating Experts

Dummy's guide to insulating a QLDer house?

FHO
    Apprentice (new member)

Question Dummy's guide to insulating a QLDer house?

We've recently moved into our first ever house - a raised queenslander style home in Brisbane with tongue & groove walls, about 12 ft ceilings, wide pine floor boards, sash windows and a sheeted roof.

Now it's winter the place has become quite cold (sometimes colder inside than outside) so we thought we should look into installing some installation.

Being completely new to all this, we're not sure where insulation can be installed in this type of home, how it's done, what types we should use and any other factors we need to consider.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Old Chippy 6K

that's OK under the rafters and that will stop heat build up in summer but you need batts in the ceiling between joists too for winter heat loss from inside. For a guide see here and look at the Qld examples of Case study (new homes) to see the sorts of thing they do: Your Home Technical Manual - 4.7 Insulation
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.

1K Club Member

and if it has external framing, then you can not insulate the walls as there is no cavity. They look lovely but they can be jolly chilly, even in Queensland. I nearly froze my first winter in Brisbane ...

aircell under the floor is a sound investment too

Novice

If you want to insulate internal and external walls there is a mob that blows insulating material in to the cavities, sorry but can't remember what they are called, they cut a hole with a hole saw and blow it in then patch the holes, had thought about it myself as our house is basically a QLD'r but only on short stumps i insulated with sisalasion and bats under the floor in the extension, bats in the ceiling and all internal walls that i have either built or repaired.
    Gerry

1K Club Member

The blow in type insulation may not suit an old Q'lander if there are a few gaps in the timber. Personally I would avoid any foil based product in a house with old wiring too. Insulation is cheap at the moment, lots of companies have stock left over from the cancelled govt scheme, just need to shop around. Need to be a bit careful, a few places went bust, some may be just about to go under. Pay after delivery. Can offer some free advice if you want to DIY

Old Chippy 6K

The problems (few) with foil based insulation was when it was laid across the top of ceiling joists using staples! - not under rafters. Dodgy employers and poorly trained staff.
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.

1K Club Member

I've spent a year or twenty crawling round in ceilings and have had a couple of 240v tickles due to foil touching wires that have had the insulation chewed off by vermin. Just my personal view but I wouldn't put foil in my dog kennel.

4K Club Member

Check out the roofing iron, it may need replacing ( it doesn't last forever unfortunately ) if it needs replacing anytime soon the do the under roof foil and blanket then and for now do as Bloss suggests with ceiling batts first.
    May be hard ( read expensive) to do the walls which leaves the floor, I am just changing into overalls to get under my house and stick in old fiberglass batts, a raised Q'Lnder may be easier to insulate the floors but you may also need some stiff perforated sheet as well
    ( cement, pegboard ?? ) to stop the little things from pulling it out.

Old Chippy 6K

Quote Originally Posted by PhilT2 View Post
    I've spent a year or twenty crawling round in ceilings and have had a couple of 240v tickles due to foil touching wires that have had the insulation chewed off by vermin. Just my personal view but I wouldn't put foil in my dog kennel.
    Thats why RCDs are a good investment . . . oh - and ratsak . . . and foil works well in dog kennels!