Hire the best Air conditioning and Heating Experts

Extra window insulation query

4K Club Member

Default Extra window insulation query

So the old curtains are down and the room is painted.
    While Cecile is in charge of the looks department I would like to maximise any thermal benefits with the new window treatment and at the same time maximise the acoustic properties of the curtains.
    Do cellular / honeycomb blinds work as well as a heavy woollen blanket and are they cost effective?
    I want a reasonably deep pelmet treatment to stop convection currents over the window.
    If possible I want the curtains insulated with some of our Thinsulate but we are having trouble finding anybody local who wants to work outside of the local norm.
    Thoughts and critiques please
    "A big boy did it and ran away"

Legal disclaimer denying responsibility to be inserted here.

4K Club Member

It makes some difference to possible solutions if you trying to keep summer heat out or winter warmth in. Geelong? I assume you are trying to stop heat loss in winter. Also what type of noise are you trying to keep in or out, or absorb?
    Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it necessary, it is true, does it improve on the silence? - Baba

In my experience glass replacement with smart low-e glass would be well worth investigating. Have also noticed that fibreglass flyscreens add a bit to insulation value against heat loss, as strange as that may seem. Another thing I have done is add a laminated glass window 100mm behind the existing.

4K Club Member

Low-e glass is great for reducing radiative heat transfer through glass such as heating from direct sun in summer. Don't expect much reduction in internal heat loss in winter and you will not be disappointed. Fibreglass insect screens will also slightly reduce heat gain/loss in the absence of air movement AKA wind or breeze. Secondary glazing is often a great low cost upgrade, especially for timber framed picture windows. For a sash window it may be possible to install a second custom made sash window inside the existing window, especially in old buildings with thick walls.
    Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it necessary, it is true, does it improve on the silence? - Baba

Quote Originally Posted by John2b View Post
    Low-e glass is great for reducing radiative heat transfer through glass such as heating from direct sun in summer. Don't expect much reduction in internal heat loss in winter and you will not be disappointed.
    This extract agrees with what I typically have found to be the case:

Windows that perform: A window and film buyers guide - Renew

Low-emissivity, or low-e, coatings are high-performance examples, often used with double glazing. Such coatings, applied at the factory, reduce the amount of long-wavelength radiant heat that the glass can emit from its other side (hence the name), instead reflecting that heat back into the room, or back outside. This includes infrared heat from heaters and people, and re-radiated heat from hot surfaces such as pavers outside. Thus, low-e coatings can be used to keep such heat inside in winter, and exclude it in summer. This improves the U-value of the glass and reduces the solar heat gain coefficient (SHGC)

4K Club Member

Sorry
    The window is double glazed and I want the extra heat retention in winter Re the honeycomb blind.
    With no carpet and no curtains the room is far too lively and I want the new curtains to absorb a lot of room reflections. Carpet will be done as soon after lockdown as possible but curtains have a long lead time it seems. On my own I'd just hang carpet squares or old woollen blankets but that is not an option. Although IKEA has something I have just looked at

https://www.ikea.com/au/en/p/oddlaug...grey-80427367/

4K Club Member

The basic principles in acoustic damping are weight, volume and space; weight as in grams per square meter, volume as in depth between outer surface and wall (or window) and space as in square meters of cover. Natural fibres like wool, jute, linen, etc are more effective than synthetics, weight is gained by gather, as is depth. Natural fibre curtains at least double and preferably three or more times as long as the space they are covering in as heavy a cloth as possible, or multiple layers, are what is going to work best for acoustics.

If you already have double glazing a pelmet and curtaining probably isn't going to make a huge difference. The purpose of the pelmet is to stop drafts. Think of drafts as water leaks; to be effective to stop drafts down the inner side of the curtain means quite a tight fit around the curtain top and also the floor and sides Having a white or reflective surface on the window side will reduce radiative heat loss in winter and heat gain in summer. Luxaflex Duette used to be available with reflective surfaces inside the pockets and doesn't need a pelmet at the top to stop drafts. It is possible to have it drop in side tracks to stop edge leaks for light and heat as well. Duette isn't going to do much for acoustics though.

4K Club Member

That's pretty much how I understood things John, but we need new curtains and any extra helps with thermal efficiency.
    If possible I would prefer to get something that combined both properties. It was interesting that the mesh and net privacy curtains did so much acoustically but they were mine and an Op-Shop purchase and don't go with the new paint colour