Hire the best Air conditioning and Heating Experts

Flue size

Apprentice (new member)

Default Flue size

I'm wondering what the problems might be if a wood heater is fitted with a larger diameter flue pipe than originally intended.
    Specifically, I am refitting an old Super Convair heater into an existing fireplace. The heater was originally bricked into the fireplace without a flue pipe. I have removed the brickwork and look to reinstall the heater with a flue inside the chimney. The heater has a 5" outlet, but I have some 6" flue pipe on hand and it would be a lot cheaper to buy a 6" to 5" adaptor than new lengths of 5" flue.
    What do you reckon?

Go for it!

The original Convair’s were often installed in a brick fireplace with a concrete shelf fitted around 6 inches above the heater, there was a cast iron threaded flue section fitted between the heater and a hole in the shelf.
    The chimney was simply open above this often one brick or more wide without a flue.

You should have no issues with your plan, apart from any legal requirements if installed in your house (if local laws require)

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by droog View Post
    The original Convair’s were often installed in a brick fireplace with a concrete shelf fitted around 6 inches above the heater, there was a cast iron threaded flue section fitted between the heater and a hole in the shelf.
    The chimney was simply open above this often one brick or more wide without a flue.

You should have no issues with your plan, apart from any legal requirements if installed in your house (if local laws require)

Thanks for an interesting post, droog. Two questions if i may;
    how did they clean the chimney?
    did the cast iron threaded section look like this?
    win_20221207_06_07_01_pro.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by tiprat2 View Post
    Thanks for an interesting post, droog. Two questions if i may;
    how did they clean the chimney?
    did the cast iron threaded section look like this?
    Not sure on cleaning, the 15 year old unit at my parents house never had the chimney cleaned that I could remember.
    The Convair that was in our current Cal Bung was also installed with open chimney, lots of ash when it was removed I doubt it had ever been cleaned after the heater was installed.

Yep that is the flue connector, there was also a cast iron ring that raised on the thread, if I remember the ring was put at the bottom of the connector while it was inserted through the hole in the shelf. Once the heater was in position the connector dropped into the receiver on the heater and the lock ring spun up the thread to push against the underside of the shelf. Fireproof mortar was used to seal it all up, or it may have had a nice asbestos rope for the seal.

Apprentice (new member)