Hire the best Air conditioning and Heating Experts

Help removing vents

Novice

Default Help removing vents

I would like to replace the evap cooling vents as they are discolouring and dirty.

But I'm finding it difficult to detach the ceiling vent cover. It's one of the 4 way directional types. I've managed to take out the seperate sections, but when it comes to the housing, nothing I do seems to make it budge. I don't want to force anything for risk of damaging the plasterboard. Please see photos:

20210902_142645.jpg20210902_142341.jpg

The closeup photos shows what I assume to be what's clipping it all together. But how do I undo it without braking anything? Everything feels stiff, probably from decades of not being touched.

On that same note, I can't find a way to remove the ducted heating vents too. This time it's harder to see deeper in because of the fixed design. Please see photo:

20210902_142416.jpg

For the air con:
    The black adaptor is clipped to the grill frame by the tabs at the red arrows. There will be four, two on each side. Then the black adaptor will be able to be pushed up leaving the grill frame.
    The frame is held to the plaster by the clips at the yellow arrow. There is a T shaped centre that is pushed in, with the adaptor out of the way reach into the roof space and find the back section and push it out into the centre of the frame.
    They are stiff even when new.

For the heating duct, there will be three spring loaded over centre catches. Simply pull straight down on the vent.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20210902_142341.jpg  

Novice

Thanks so much for your spot on advice! I was able to remove the heating vent no problem (though the spring clips really bite your fingers!)

Unfortunately I still cannot get the cooling vent to disassemble. The black tabs just will not budge. I've tried pushing and pry with a flathead and pliers. Any more force and I think I'll snap something. Is there a trick to it?
    I had a look into another vent in the house, and it looks like the previous owner actually did break the tabs to get it loose. I want to avoid this where possible.

My follow up question is what do need to look for in a replacement vent grill? Does it have to be the same make and model, or are these things usually universal? Does the black adapter also need replacing along with the vent frame?

Cheers

To remove it is the middle tab that is the locking piece. The two side pieces are just locators.
    Push the centre tab out through the hole, it only needs to move about 1mm, then the black adaptor should be able to be pushed vertically up.
    Do one at a time, once all four are free the entire adaptor will lift up.

The adaptors match the same manufacturers grills, do not expect that one manufacturer will fit to another’s grill. They might be similar but no guarantee of fitting.
    You may find a manufacturers mark on them but cannot see one in your pictures, it is often on the face of the frame if there is one.
    The last ones I bought from Metalflex and did not have a manufacturers mark on the face.
    https://www.metalflex.com.au/

Novice

Ok thanks. I'll keep trying different techniques to carefully push the middle tab out.

The brand of the frames is Paltech. I'll enquire with them whether the new replacements would still be compatible with fixtures from roughly 15 years ago.

If incompatibility means both adapter and frames need replacing, is it recommended that I get a pro to install it to the duct work rather then try to DIY?

Apprentice (new member)

Default Help removing vents

Just soak them in a bath of hot water with some detergent, give a scrub and they will come up like new.

Slk

Hi Redfin, please change your profile location to be more specific, Vic or NSW. It helps for advice (regs, services, products etc).

Quote Originally Posted by basKTcase View Post
    Ok thanks. I'll keep trying different techniques to carefully push the middle tab out.

The brand of the frames is Paltech. I'll enquire with them whether the new replacements would still be compatible with fixtures from roughly 15 years ago.

If incompatibility means both adapter and frames need replacing, is it recommended that I get a pro to install it to the duct work rather then try to DIY?
    If you r capable of getting the components out then you will have no trouble replacing the parts, the duct will just be taped in place with duct tape. The best way to tape is pull the outer and insulation back, slip the inner over the adaptor and use two wraps of tape. Then pull the insulation down and hold with one wrap of tape. Finally pull the outer down and hold with two wraps of tape. This way all three layers are attached to the adaptor.

And as said a good wash will do wonders.

Link to the clip instructions https://www.paltech.com.au/wp-conten...structions.pdf
    Word of warning, they show levering the T section out with a screwdriver. I broke quite a number before I started pushing them out from behind.
    Last edited by phild01; 4th Sep 2021 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Additional info

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by droog View Post
    If you r capable of getting the components out then you will have no trouble replacing the parts, the duct will just be taped in place with duct tape. The best way to tape is pull the outer and insulation back, slip the inner over the adaptor and use two wraps of tape. Then pull the insulation down and hold with one wrap of tape. Finally pull the outer down and hold with two wraps of tape. This way all three layers are attached to the adaptor.

And as said a good wash will do wonders.

Link to the clip instructions https://www.paltech.com.au/wp-conten...structions.pdf
    Word of warning, they show levering the T section out with a screwdriver. I broke quite a number before I started pushing them out from behind.
    Thanks once again for the thorough advice. I feel a lot more confident to do the job myself now.

Much appreciated!

Golden Member

also similar to Red's/Droog's advice, give them a scrub up. If still looking faded simply paint or a $10 can of spray paint and they are as good as new.

1K Club Member

I put my air con vents in the dishwasher, they come up like new.
    If the plastic clips are stiff, warm them up with a hair dryer or heat gun.
    Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.