Hire the best Air conditioning and Heating Experts

How to install evaporative A/C

Novice

Default How to install evaporative A/C

Hi Everyone

I recently acquired a Bonaire evaporative air conditioner unit which i am going to install into my shed. The shed is an american barn style and I think that the A/C will be more than adequete for my needs. The unit also has an exhaust function as well as fan only which would make a huge difference to the shed temp alone. I am intending to install it at the highest part of the barn roof.

I have never had a place before that has had a swampy so i have never seen one that is installed so i have a couple of questions.

1) I presume I need a "riser" that goes between the roof and a/c unit which is what is used to ensure the unit is level. How is the riser installed onto the roof

2) I need to get water to the unit which is easy, but how do i do it so it is neat, remembering that it will probably have to run internally in the shed.

3) I am not intending to have ducts in the shed, i was thinking of some sort of manifold arangement that has 4ish outlets, so maybe i need the opposite to a riser (dropper)??? that connects to the riser below the roof and then has outlets for the air.

4) Does the water inlet also run up through the riser/dropper internally and then connect to the unit?

I thank that is about it for questions at the moment, but i am sure i will be able to think of some more soon.

Any help is greatly appreciated

1) I presume I need a "riser" that goes between the roof and a/c unit which is what is used to ensure the unit is level. How is the riser installed onto the roof
    The section that goes through the roof is called the dropper, there are various ones available both plastic and sheet metal, they are screwed to the roof joists and the evap unit sat on top and attached.

2) I need to get water to the unit which is easy, but how do i do it so it is neat, remembering that it will probably have to run internally in the shed.
    Whatever you are comfortable with Copper, Pex or any of the other plasitic mains water pipe. Does not have to be internal

3) I am not intending to have ducts in the shed, i was thinking of some sort of manifold arangement that has 4ish outlets, so maybe i need the opposite to a riser (dropper)??? that connects to the riser below the roof and then has outlets for the air.
    The book that I have refer to them as a plenum, you could also just use a standard sheet metal dropper and put an outlet on each side.

4) Does the water inlet also run up through the riser/dropper internally and then connect to the unit?
    Water is normally run outside the dropper. Have a look where the water connection is on your model.

Personally, I'd go simple and blast it from a hole in the wall. Sit the swampy outside on a frame at hip height and have it punch in through a vent in the wall. Easier to maintain for starters - no climbing on the roof to clean it or change pads. Easier to install too.

If it is a bottom exit unit just sit it a little higher in the frame.
    Joined RF in 2006...Resigned in 2020.

Novice

I thought of having it off the wall but the 2 sides i would mount it off i only have 2m clearance to the boundry fence and i want to maintain access all around the shed.

The water inlet is on the bottom of the unit. I presume the dropper attaches to the outside edge of the unit, and if it does so that would mean the water would have to come through it. I would prefer to have the water pipes as hidden as possible and think it would look a bit ugly running them on the outside of the shed. How far down does the dropper go? Is it enough just to put a couple of holes in it for the air to come out?

Normally the dropper will fit to the centre of the unit and will be around 500-550 square, it can be as long as you like there are some low profile units to suit a low pitch roof and some longer units to suit a high pich roof. Our current one is sheet metal and is around 1200mm long, it was purchased as a blank as I was doing the install, and holes where cut to suit the ducting, you could cut four holes to distribute the air.

Have a look here Polyaire Colourbond Evaporative Dropper

Novice

Thanks for the link.

I noticed that they also have plastic droppers on their website, what are peoples opinions on plastic v's colorbond for the dropper?

Do i need to know what the pitch of my roof is to ensure the unit sits level?

I was talking to a mate and he suggested i might need some sort of valve to shut the unit off internally during winter, what is recommended for this?

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to run the water pipe neatly to the unit.

Sorry for all of the questions but i want to make sure i get it right the first time.

Apprentice (new member)

I've just installed a Polyaire plastic dropper ["Drop-X"], with a CoolAir Evap unit on top. If anyone wants a run through, bump the thread. -There's a few tips that'd make the job quicker for first timers. [like myself!]