Hire the best Air conditioning and Heating Experts

Insulation question (free with government rebate)

Novice

Default Insulation question (free with government rebate)

hello all,

Just a query or two regarding this recent free insulation deal. I have been approached by two crowds today that are door knocking with flyers offering the free insulation installation. I just spoke to one of them on the phone and said they would be able to come over tomorrow morning and do it and stated it would take about an hour and a half. he says that we wont have to pay anything upfront it is all taken care of with the gov rebate. I asked if they remove the old insulation and he said no they just lay it over the old stuff. is this legal? I told him that I would check and make sure none of it is covering any truss' or any cables or any other woodwork, he said that was fine.
    I guess my question is does anyone on have any experience with a similar situation? Can anyone offer any advice or any legalities to ask about to check there knowledge/work performed?

Thanks
    Andy

Golden Member

I have heard they do just lay it over the old insulation but not sure if it legal or allowed.
    make sure they are installing Australian made insulation as last night news has some imported batts using high concentrate of chemicals, formaldehyde.

Just found the article

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/cl...0213-nyep.html

if you already have insulation then no its not legal.

you are signing a piece of paperwork to get the rebate.
    if you are audited then you are liable for defrauding the govt..

specifically, see: Energy Efficient Homes Package - Home Insulation Program - Program Guidelines

To be eligible to obtain the assistance the Ceiling Insulation must:
    be installed in a Dwelling that does not already have Ceiling Insulation or has Ceiling Insulation of Negligible Effectiveness;

it has to be pretty awful to be 'neglibible'......

your call. i chose just to buy it myself to up the R rating value. its not a lot of money.

Apprentice (new member)

Over the last few weeks i have been door knock by a few of these dodgy guys that try to convince me that its ok to remove the not very old perfectly fine insulation i have & replace it.

Apprentice (new member) A&K Reno's Avatar

Make sure that the company doing the work is one that is registered.
    They should be registered with the governement to do it. Otherwise you might not get your rebate.
    I have had a few of the same door knockers and they were not registered.
    Pinky: "Gee, Brain, what do you want to do tonight?"
    The Brain: "The same thing we do every night, Pinky—try to take over the world!"

Old Chippy 6K

More than simply registered - deal with a company that has been in business for years installing insulation - and they don't sell door to door. I have a rule that I never buy anything that is sold door to door or over the phone.

Nothing is 'free' - the govt gives up to $1200 which might or might not be sufficient to insulate your roof to the required standard.

See: Australian Government Energy Efficient Homes Package - Ceiling Insulation Rebates - Home Page

and here

Energy Efficient Homes Package - Home Insulation Program - Program Guidelines

If your houses is a rectangle, has good access, is around 100m2 (that's small!) then that might be enough if not it won't - how will you know? They'll ask you to sign a form saying the work was done and done satisfactorily.

The insulation needs to be the right R-value for your area - and I would only use insulation made in Australia.
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.

Apprentice (new member)

Default self install?

Is it possible to buy the insulation batts ourselves and install them ourselves then claim the cost of the batts on the rebate?

no. see links above.

Old Chippy 6K

In any case see here:

http://www.renovateforum.com/f193/ne...rebates-89351/

All over red rover until 1 June - why would you insulate now if you meet the eligibility when you can wait until June and still get a $1000 rebate?!

Although there has been so many feathers flying around it is quite possible it'll change again!
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.

Fair Dinkum, our gov't ministers wouldn't know if a bus was up them till the passengers started wriggling their way out of their ministerial underwear...

Garret seems out of his depth...
    Cheers

Alan M