Hire the best Air conditioning and Heating Experts

Looking for aircon advise

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Golden Member

Default Looking for aircon advise

Quote Originally Posted by shauck View Post
    Sure will.

I think I can say that after a high 30s day it worked pretty nice, especially in the lounge. We only put it on for a few hours in the late afternoon, set to 24 degrees. It didn't bring the bedrooms down as much as the lounge but I think if we put it on early in the day, it will keep the temp low to start with.
    Thats pretty much the idea. The less work it has to do (temp differential wise) the better it will do.

Fact is youll never cool a seperate room the same as the room with the air con in it

3K Club Member

So we finally had a hot day yesterday, worthy of trying out the aircon. Not sure what the temp got to but it was 40ish, maybe a bit more. Very happy with the result.

Usually on days like this, I close the house up early and wait it out. By early afternoon it's pretty warm inside but hotter outside still. By late afternoon it's getting hot inside and still too hot outside to open up the house. By evening it's only just cool enough outside to open up and get some cross flow to cool down, then leave it all open for the night, especially warm nights. Basically not fun.

Yesterday I closed up the house early and at 11am, before the house warmed up inside, turned on the aircon to 24 degrees. I was in shorts and singlet and ended up putting a tshirt on and moving to a different chair as it was blowing cool air on me just a bit too much. (spent day in front of telly watching DVDs)

My thinking was, not to let the bedrooms and bathroom warm up as they would be harder to cool down. So turn it on early with all the doors open. Living room stayed cool all day with only slight temp increase in late afternoon and bedrooms and bathrooms slightly warmer.

It didn't get comparatively cool enough outside to turn off and open up the house so when I went to bed at 11pm, I just turned off aircon and kept house closed. Slept fairly comfortably on top of doona until 6am and then opened house again for half an hour or so as residual heat built slightly through the night.

Haven't turned it back on yet but will probably a bit earlier today as a little residual heat in the building. I'm sitting in the bedroom a the moment which would be the warmest room and feeling fine after all that.

Hope it works as well on week long heat waves.

4K Club Member

Glad it worked out for you S. We are very comfortable here in Geelong where it was 42C yesterday and warming up rapidly now [ 10:00 AM] but see my new post on the double layer roof question
    "A big boy did it and ran away"

Legal disclaimer denying responsibility to be inserted here.

7K Club Member

Sounds good Su.

Today's wind (in Geelong, anyway) is a real test of a house, as along with radiant heat the blown heat finds it's way into every crevice...

3K Club Member

Glad yours is working too M. The wind is a factor. Our floor boards are fairly gappy. Still, the house kept it's cool. I've been thinking about a double skin roof lately. Some sort of system must be possible. Fully sealed/flashed tin roof with another layer of tin with air gap between so it vents from lower end, up to ridge

4K Club Member

I'd appreciate your input on the double skin roof query. It should be more effective than cheap shade sails
    "A big boy did it and ran away"

Legal disclaimer denying responsibility to be inserted here.

Golden Member

definitely the way to do it. A lot of people dont realise that refrigeration works by absorbing all the heat in the space, not just by adding cool air. The less heat you need to absorb, the less work you give the air con, which means greater benefits. As i said in an earlier thread, but was told i was wrong by a person who doesnt like air conditioning is that if you turn it on early, you not only get greater cooling effects, because no heat is trapped in surfaces inside the house (furniture, flooring, etc etc) you are using the air cons energy to purely cool the area, instead of trying to take the heat out of the room as well. This costs less, and offers greater comfort. If you had waited til 4pm to turn it on and everything in the house is hot, you would have noticed when u turned it off, that it wouldnt have taken long to warm up again.

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brian7886 View Post
    If you had waited til 4pm to turn it on and everything in the house is hot, you would have noticed when u turned it off, that it wouldnt have taken long to warm up again.
    Definitely proved this true by leaving the house closed up over night without aircon and had a relatively good sleep. Will continue to use this method for sure.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5